• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Copyright Issues

I don't really think people are giving Gateway a free pass insomuch as just saying, it's Gateway. If Disc Golf was a mall they'd be that airbrush t-shirt place that opens up, all giddy and happy to airbrush some pimped out Tasmanian Devils driving a lowrider for anybody that walks in but you know that it's probably going to go out of business in 2-3 months. Just kind of hard to get one's knickers in twist over a company that sells lots of putters and that's about it. :\

They've been selling those putters for well over a decade though. This is hardly a flash in the pan company. If they're really looking to become more than just the "Wizard manufacturer", they probably want to change some of their policies so they don't wind up as a part of disc golf's past.

The argument of them being too small for Disney to care is kind of laughable. Disney protects their "image" as much as they do their profits. Disc golf doesn't have a squeaky clean image so I'm sure they don't want their brand associated with a fringe "stoner sport".

28e126bba06abcdb3aab4534f6895f8e.jpg

They've been selling those putters for well over a decade though. This is hardly a flash in the pan company. If they're really looking to become more than just the "Wizard manufacturer", they probably want to change some of their policies so they don't wind up as a part of disc golf's past.

The argument of them being too small for Disney to care is kind of laughable. Disney protects their "image" as much as they do their profits. Disc golf doesn't have a squeaky clean image so I'm sure they don't want their brand associated with a fringe "stoner sport".

That's kind of my point. They've been around forever and they're still sitting at the kiddie table of disc manufactures, playing with crayons and trying not to eat too many of them. It's hard to take Gateway seriously enough to sue them. :\

The funny thing is that their putters don't really need to have fancy stamps to sell. It's the rest of their disc line up that clearly needs attention. Sort of ironic.

Just for the record, they have baskets, bags, hats, shirts, and all the rest of the stuff the other disc manufactures have. Their stuff is pretty popular in some regions of the country so to dismiss them as only a putter maker is off the mark.

But, if they get put out of business for a stupid copyright infringement or two, they probably will be remembered as the guys who made the Wizard and not much else.

Yesterday I bought a nice RFF Wizard, ZOFO Zeppelin stamped even though I'm one of the people that wishes GDS would stop making them without paying royalties. My reasoning is that I bought LZ's original vinyl albums. Bought same albums on cassette tape, some on 8 track tape. Bought the same albums when they came out on Compact Disc. This has happened with most of my favorite music. I doubt that the copyright holders felt sorry for me as they took my money. :\

Yeah, I bought every Zeppelin album up to 7. Concert tickets also. And, every bootleg I could. I would have bought those regardless who pressed them, so the band did not lose money on me.

Getting pretty fed up with Les White as well and his rip offs of Marvel.

here's some more of my stuff, a little bit more varied. comic book stuff, however, runs pretty deep in my DNA, i've been doing them off and on since i could hold a pencil, including some pretty high profile stuff for the major companies along the way... which eventually led to becoming a conceptual artist for a computer game company for a while.

DGCR_zpskytl4dng.jpg

Wild CATS (created by Jim Lee) story and pencils Les White
comics%202_zps6ckoun7n.jpg

Venom (Marvel) part of a submission package from back in the day which led to....
comics%203_zpsckpkgaun.jpg

being featured in Marvel Age #97, which led to a ton of notoriety and work (the Punisher story written and drawn by me)
MARVEL%20AGE%201_zps7chgokby.jpg

Pinups for high profile companies paid a ton back in the day, especially Todd McFarlane, who keeps all the Spawn original art used in his comic
spawn%2033_zpsuqy6l2ow.jpg

this dude's name is Prophet, and the pinup was commissioned by Prophet's creator Rob Liefeld, the creator of Deadpool, Cable and a ton of other characters, and was featured in issue number 4 (Image Comics). i just said %#! it with the muscles.... i just went $#&ing nuts with this..
a little known fact, Rob and I both worked at one time for the same independent comics company.
PROPHET%204_zpsyjrzf4zt.jpg

when i was trying to break into comics, i entered this pic of wolverine into a contest run by the magazine Hero Illustrated, first prize was a mint copy of Silver Surfer #1. i still have that comic in a safe deposit box... it's worth a lot.
wolvie%20mine_zpsbeldvapi.jpg

i still do a ton of commissions for comic book fans worldwide, here is a look into the process of doing a colored marker/colored pencil pinup of Harley Quinn (DC)
harley%201_zpsev7lm8pr.jpg

i'll stop here for now. adios. (D'Synnt character by Les White)
dysnnt%2088%20FB_zpsogcth9yd.jpg

But will he come in and actually show some humility for unnecessarily being an ass?

no need to at all. no problem with people expressing their feelings about my stuff, but i just felt that the whole picture (pun intended) should be included in this situation.

overall, i really like his posts here in DGCR and i'm a big fan of the Panda stuff!

we're all good here.

Les white should really get his own thread and not be involved in this piece of copyright, and stealing of designs...

He's a great artist.