• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Craft breweries, disc golf, and good weather in March suggestions?

Wait a minute.....March.....Tampa.....time it right and the Canyon in Brooksville will be open. On top of everything else.

That's where I'd be.

Yup. And you could play Edward Medard, Taylor Lake, Cliff Stevens, Picnic Island and Cypress Point just to name a few.

San Diego. Admittedly, the beer is better than the disc golf. But you can hit Morley - a crowded classic - then head to North County and hit Kit Carson in Escondido (10 minutes from Stone World Gardens) and Brengle Terrace in Vista (5 minutes from Mother Earth Brew Co and Belching Beaver Brewing). Plus a million other breweries in between.

Yup. And you could play Edward Medard, Taylor Lake, Cliff Stevens, Picnic Island and Cypress Point just to name a few.

That Gran Canyon course does sound pretty crazy, especially for that part of the country. Are the dates it will be open set yet? Do you have to enter a tourney or is it open to the public for a week or two around the tournament?

I've never played in Florida but I've played a ton of great courses between San Diego and Los Angeles Counties. And I do believe that there may be one or two breweries in between.

If you had three or four days and a car, what courses would you make sure to play between SD and LA? Is there any town to stay in as your base camp that's within an hour drive of several nice courses, or would you have to move each day?

Is there anywhere in the country without craft breweries at this point?

I would tend toward Tampa myself. Guaranteed to be warm although it rains a lot. The Canyon is worth the trip. i got to play it a few years back without playing the tournament (it was at daybreak tourney day though- I would imagine you can get on during the friday practice day as well).

That Gran Canyon course does sound pretty crazy, especially for that part of the country. Are the dates it will be open set yet? Do you have to enter a tourney or is it open to the public for a week or two around the tournament?

It's in my personal Top 5, of about 130 courses played in 24 states.

The tournament dates are set: http://www.delsoldiscgolf.com/Throw_Down_The_Mountain.html

It's open for a couple of practice days before each weekend. I can't play the tournament this year, but considered sneaking down there anyway. There's a greens fee each day, so I feel sure you could get on the course and play---you'd be helping with the financials. Nobody's going to ask if you're registered.

The thing about The Canyon, besides being a really cool course, is that you never know if you'll ever get another chance. It was a private course that closed about 10 or 12 years ago---then has been resurrected the past few years as an annual, temporary course. One day the land will sell, so one year will be the last chance. It could be this year.

And Florida is warm and lovely that time of year.

That said, you have plenty of choices. Everyone shouts "HERE!" because everyone thinks their locale is the best. A few places are really warm in March, but a lot of places are mild (it's mid-spring here in South Carolina). There is good, even very good, disc golf in dozens of destinations. I suspect the same is true about craft breweries.

So the questions are: (1) How warm do you need it to be? (2) How many disc golf courses do you expect to play? (3) How many craft breweries do you want to visit?

If your answers to #2 and #3 are "three will be enough", it really opens up your choices.

The thing about The Canyon, besides being a really cool course, is that you never know if you'll ever get another chance. It was a private course that closed about 10 or 12 years ago---then has been resurrected the past few years as an annual, temporary course. One day the land will sell, so one year will be the last chance. It could be this year.

Unless the asking price has been trimmed considerably it isn't going anywhere any time soon. There was some talk of doing a land swap with the city of Brooksville for it a while back but apparently nothing has come of that either.

Unless the asking price has been trimmed considerably it isn't going anywhere any time soon. There was some talk of doing a land swap with the city of Brooksville for it a while back but apparently nothing has come of that either.

I have no idea of the land values there. Sooner or later the price will drop, or the going prices in the area will rise, and it'll be gone. I got sick and had to withdraw last year, and have other commitments this year, and can only be hopeful for next year.

Anyway, if I were looking for a warm getaway in March, the Canyon would definitely weigh on my decision.

Yeah some elaboration on good weather would be helpful. I'd personally would rather play in 60s, that's warm enough for a shirt and shorts but cool enough you aren't likely to break a sweat. Being hot and sweaty gets old when you're riding in a car awhile.

Yeah some elaboration on good weather would be helpful. I'd personally would rather play in 60s, that's warm enough for a shirt and shorts but cool enough you aren't likely to break a sweat. Being hot and sweaty gets old when you're riding in a car awhile.

Well, we're in Montana and northern Ohio, so 60ish or warmer would feel great. We don't need beach weather.

I'm thinking probably 4-5 days, and a course (18+ holes) a day. I agree that fine breweries are pretty much everywhere these days, but am looking for a location with at least three or four good ones reasonably close together. The golf is the priority over the breweries. From all the help I've gotten so far, Charlotte (with a day in Ashville) and maybe Tampa are the leaders. I've played and drunk a lot more in the West than the South, so I'm focusing on the Southeast for this trip.

The southeast, as mentioned could be miserably wet and cool for early spring. That time of the year is when they get the most rain. I believe you said you were from Ohio.

My sister lives in the southeast (charlotte area) and it is difficult to find dry weather that time of the year. And surprisingly not that much warmer than Ohio sometimes too.

I live in S.C.---the average high here in mid-March is 66 (70 by the end of the month). Which means a lot of days will be warmer than that.

It's not exactly the most rain we get---that would be summer---but it's true that if you head for the southwest, your odds of great weather are better.

Tampa has an average March temp around 76 for a high and roughly a 25% chance to have rain on any given day.

If u haven't been to the desert, PHX AZ is a good vacation spot this time of year. Was wearing gym shorts and a t-shirt outside yesterday here in Tucson. While desert disc golf is not the greatest, it's hard to beat the weather here. They do have quite a few breweries as well.

March is beautiful in the desert. Lots of flowers on our cacti and thorny bushes.

Philly and the Lehigh Valley north of the city is a solid locale. In Philly you can play Sedgley and hit Yards Brewing and Philadelphia Brewing amongst many, many others. In the Lehigh Valley courses like Nockamixon, Tyler SP, Tinicum, Jordan Creek etc. are in proximity to great breweries like Victory, Weyerbacher, Sly Fox, also amongst many others. Maybe a bit of driving around to do here, the Lehigh Valley locales are about an hourish from the city, but I think the high quality of the breweries and courses more then makes it worth it!

Good warm weather in March in the Lehigh Valley?

Yeah. Temp range average from beginning to end of month 48-58 with an average daily percipitation chance of 47% with a 10% chance of snow. On the plus side: Philly Cheesesteaks!

We're all homers and tend to get carried away when regional comparisons are the topic. If this thread lasts long enough, someone will recommend that the OP drives to Finland.

But keeping the actual topic in mind, our traveler says they're only looking to play 4 or 5 courses. That itinerary certainly opens up a lot more places for consideration---Tampa included, but also spots in Arizona and California and places with that don't have a dozen good courses conveniently nearby, but do have a handful.