• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Craft breweries, disc golf, and good weather in March suggestions?

Miami is the only large metro area with average temps over 80 in march. But it is EXPENSIVE and the disc golf is only ok. Not sure about the brewery situation, but I guess they would have them. On the plus side Cuban Sandwiches!

Orlando could be another possible consideration too. Plenty of good disc golfing around there. Turkey Lake has three 18 hole courses on site now!

San Diego.

Word.

Admittedly, the beer is better than the disc golf. But you can hit Morley - a crowded classic - then head to North County and hit Kit Carson in Escondido (10 minutes from Stone World Gardens) and Brengle Terrace in Vista (5 minutes from Mother Earth Brew Co and Belching Beaver Brewing). Plus a million other breweries in between.

Throw in Sun Valley & Goat Hill and I think you'd be hard pressed to beat San Diego County in March. (Or any other month of the year, for that matter.)

If you had three or four days and a car, what courses would you make sure to play between SD and LA? Is there any town to stay in as your base camp that's within an hour drive of several nice courses, or would you have to move each day?

I'd get an Air BnB house in Los Angeles, on the east side or in NELA somewhere and play: La Mirada, Oak Grove, Sylmar, Sky High, Chavez Ridge.

Then I'd hit the breweries on this list:
https://www.thrillist.com/drink/los-angeles/the-11-best-breweries-in-la-experts-picks

If you're up for a drive, you could drive up to Shark Tooth Mountain & Hart Park in Bakersfield, which is around two hours away or out to Yucaipa which is around 90 minutes away.

And you could hit up Angel City Brewery, which is in DTLA but is not on the above list.

And I promise the weather will be nicer than it will be in North Carolina.;)

Lol people's reading comp. The OP also said, "March."

I looked it up, average March temps in Asheville: high 58°, low 37°. Asheville could have the best breweries in the world and they could also have the best courses ever designed, but if it's 40° and raining there in March, I wouldn't know (at least about the disc golf.)

If you want to disc golf comfortably in March, the only places you should be are Southern California or Florida.

I've never played in Florida but I've played a ton of great courses between San Diego and Los Angeles Counties. And I do believe that there may be one or two breweries in between.

The average temp in Asheville for March might be 58 but the chance of it being warmer are pretty good as witness by the 70 degree rounds we played yesterday at Buckhorn.

The average temp in Asheville for March might be 58 but the chance of it being warmer are pretty good as witness by the 70 degree rounds we played yesterday at Buckhorn.

OP is coming from Montana, so isn't good weather relative? Average temps throughout March average 8 degrees cooler in Missoula than Asheville.

As for courses, Harmon Hills is only 90 minutes away - #4 rated course on DGCR. Throw in either Winged Deer and/or Warriors Path near Harmon, Richmond Hills, Jackson in Hendersonville, and some of the other decent courses in the area, you can easily play a couple courses during the day and hit up the breweries at night.

You are describing Charlotte - land of Craft Beer/Microbreweries and 45+ disc golf courses within an hour's radius. You can play ridiculous World's courses like Winthrop, RL Smith, Nevin, Bradford, etc... you seriously will not be able to play all the top notch courses here unless you stay for over 2 weeks, and play 3+ rounds per day. I don't know anywhere else with that kind of course density.

We even have a Craft Beer Bar/Disc Golf store. Seriously. We do putting league every Tuesday IN A BREWERY.

March weather is excellent here. Sometimes a little windy, and yes a chance of rain. But your talking 60's temps, spring kicking in - the courses are beautiful, the beer is fresh and cold and the people are friendly.

I mean, I guess you could go somewhere else... the question would be - WHY?!?!?! :)

You are describing Charlotte - land of Craft Beer/Microbreweries and 45+ disc golf courses within an hour's radius. You can play ridiculous World's courses like Winthrop, RL Smith, Nevin, Bradford, etc... you seriously will not be able to play all the top notch courses here unless you stay for over 2 weeks, and play 3+ rounds per day. I don't know anywhere else with that kind of course density.

We even have a Craft Beer Bar/Disc Golf store. Seriously. We do putting league every Tuesday IN A BREWERY.

March weather is excellent here. Sometimes a little windy, and yes a chance of rain. But your talking 60's temps, spring kicking in - the courses are beautiful, the beer is fresh and cold and the people are friendly.

I mean, I guess you could go somewhere else... the question would be - WHY?!?!?! :)

Have you ever been to Florida or California?

I will be a homey like the rest and recommend Southern California. However, that is only if you want to play on green grassy courses under swaying palm trees with a chance for sunburn.

No matter which area of So Cal you choose, the weather should be better than Missoula. :thmbup:

Have you ever been to Florida or California?

Lived in LA for 3 yrs.

Half my family is in Florida.

Obviously, I prefer to live in Charlotte - I could choose to live anywhere lol.

Let's not forget Innova, Ricky, Big Jerm, MJ, Barry, and all the other top ranked pro's who ALSO choose to live here when they aren't on the road. And I'm pretty sure all of them have been to Cali and Florida too :D

I'm not sure that having 45 courses is a selling point to someone looking to play 4 or 5.

Sure, a visitor to Charlotte has a great selection of good and very good courses to choose that 4 or 5 from. But I don't see why it that's any better than any other place with 4 or 5 good and very good courses. For our travelers, I mean, not for someone living there.

I'm sure Cali and Florida would be great if it weren't for the Californians and Floridians. :|

:p

Mostly true. I'm not saying N Carolina would be a bad choice, but it's not the only option and further south/west would most likely gaurentee better weather. Oh, and where does the Champ live? That's right, the greatest disc golfer of all time lives in Florida and you can play on courses that he helped design!

Oh, and where does the Champ live? That's right, the greatest disc golfer of all time lives in Florida and you can play on courses that he helped design!

And if you go to Los Angeles, you can play the course where Paul McBeth cut his teeth.

Mostly true. I'm not saying N Carolina would be a bad choice, but it's not the only option and further south/west would most likely gaurentee better weather. Oh, and where does the Champ live? That's right, the greatest disc golfer of all time lives in Florida and you can play on courses that he helped design!

Ha ha, I'm just sharing what I know rather than representin' the home state. I will say though that one thing that would help set NC apart from other comparable snowbird golf destinations is we have a lot of varied terrain for a state our size. Mountain golf to beach golf and almost everything in between depending on how much driving you want to do. I don't know if Florida, Arizona or some of these others states can say that. California maybe.

Cannot beat Asheville for beer but not sure about the disc golf courses. Look into Beech Mountain, about 1.5 hrs north of Asheville. A few breweries around there and they put in a course a few years ago. The town is a mile above sea level and the course is challenging with lots of vertical. You take the chairlift to the top of the mountain and play down from there. May still be chilly there that time of year. It's a lot higher than Asheville.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ha ha, I'm just sharing what I know rather than representin' the home state. I will say though that one thing that would help set NC apart from other comparable snowbird golf destinations is we have a lot of varied terrain for a state our size. Mountain golf to beach golf and almost everything in between depending on how much driving you want to do. I don't know if Florida, Arizona or some of these others states can say that. California maybe.

That's one of the things that made NC attractive to us. I've mostly played mountain and desert courses - plus several heavily wooded courses in MI & OH. NC seems to have a wide variety of course types so we can pick and choose depending on what we want to play on any given day.

I think we've pretty much decided on heading to Charlotte and also spending a day or two in Asheville. But, feel free to keep on promoting your favorite areas. If nothing else, this thread might come in handy for some other beer loving disc golfers down the road.

There are literally hundreds of breweries in the SF Bay area and the weather in March/April is usually nice in the 70s and sunny. The worst might be a day or two of rain but that keeps very few off the course. Legendary courses like Delaveaga awat and new ones like Lake Chabot tempt all of us to enjoy life a little more, play hookie, and rip it!

That's one of the things that made NC attractive to us. I've mostly played mountain and desert courses - plus several heavily wooded courses in MI & OH. NC seems to have a wide variety of course types so we can pick and choose depending on what we want to play on any given day.

I think we've pretty much decided on heading to Charlotte and also spending a day or two in Asheville. But, feel free to keep on promoting your favorite areas. If nothing else, this thread might come in handy for some other beer loving disc golfers down the road.

Definitely plan to spend at least a couple of days in Asheville (aka pre hipster Charleston) in the mountains. Lots of good restuarants, breweries, entertainment and golf.

I won't promote my immediately local area because, though we'll have good weather and disc golf, and are within detour range of a Charlotte-Asheville commute, there's not a brewery within 50 miles. (They're not quite everywhere).

But you might peek at a slightly longer route between Charlotte and Ashville that takes you through Spartanburg, SC, which would give you the chance to play one or two fine courses (Pipeline would be my suggestion). I'm pretty sure there's a brewery or two in that area, as well.

I'm not sure that having 45 courses is a selling point to someone looking to play 4 or 5.

Sure, a visitor to Charlotte has a great selection of good and very good courses to choose that 4 or 5 from. But I don't see why it that's any better than any other place with 4 or 5 good and very good courses. For our travelers, I mean, not for someone living there.

1) Variety of styles and types of courses and layouts - woods, fields, obstacles, water - everything is in play here. Leave your 450 bomber disc at home, and bring your placement game if you want to score on these courses. Some of the most challenging DG in the world. There *is* a reason that PDGA chooses to have Worlds, Masters, and NDGC here nearly every other year.

2) Concentration of Pro DG'ers, and several awesome stores. Even a bar that's a disc golf store. I don't think you'll find one of those in Mayberry. :eek:

3) Biggest and best putting league in the nation. Something incredibly fun to do on a Tuesday night. Plus, you might get to meet and hang with Ricky and/or Jerm. Or get spanked by them in competition. Then you can go home and tell all your friends you lost at PLX to Ricky LOL!!

You're not going to find ANY of those things in a region that only has 4-5 total courses. Not to mention, if you're willing to drive as little as 1.5-2 hrs towards the mountains, or into SC, you get into Asheville/Beech Mtn, Spartanburg/Greenvile, and several other areas that have 5-Star championship courses. There is no limit on the golf you can play here. It's only up to you, your stamina, and willingness to get out there and throw.

There's a reason they call Charlotte "The Mecca of Disc Golf" :D:D:D

Latest posts