• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Cubby

Is Cubby the real deal?

• Yes

Votes: 34 40.0%
  • No

Votes: 51 60.0%

• Total voters
i think an ace is a hole in hole. whenever i throw from the teepad and make it one to me its a hole-in-one, or "ace". That is during a regular round and not practice. Cubby does seem to take a lot of time to set up the cameras but from the vids i seen it looks like one disc coming from the teepad and sticking in the basket. Anyways whatever he does is no skin off my back so i really can't pass any sort of judgement on him.. others may feel differently.....

I think the guy's cool as **** for doing this and loving the game so much.... so more power to him.

And 366 holes in one, under ANY circumstance is highly repectable.

i also think he is cool as shi* which coming out your butt is not very cool at all but quite warm, so i think saying he is as cool as shi* is right on the money.

Chances are if its being filmed its probally not a real ace i mean you wouldnt setup a camera a thousand times to catch one ace. And i think some of you dont know the difference between a hole in one and an ace , if your not putting a 1 on the scorecard its not an ace its a hole in one.

Again, a completely unintelligible post. Thanks again, Omega, for adding your intellect and wisdom to the discussion.

"Probally" ?

"i mean you wouldnt setup a camera a thousand times to catch one ace." Actually, that's exactly what he does. I doubt it takes a thousand setups to get one ace, but he does regularly setup and record his games.

"Putting a 1 on the scorecard" - standing on the scorecard while you're putting? Throwing your disc at the scorecard? Throwing a 1g putter?

I've played with him. Those videos aren't fake. Ya'll need to find something better to do than keep bashing a man who's trying to promote the sport.

Amen, bro.

Cubby did us all a great favor.

Cubby realized the power of Youtube and posting videos of disc golf before anybody. He made a bunch of vids and posted them. Now everybody does it, so there are thousands and thousands of clips of disc golf on Youtube giving the sport a lot of free exposure. Cubby started that. While I'm sure he didn't post the very first vid of disc golf on Youtube, he posted A LOT of fairly nicely done clips that showed the sport off as something fun to do. Those Cubby videos have done a lot to promote the sport in a positive way.

I think what gets everybody's panties in a bundle is that the videos have made him a minor celebrity. When you go to a course and talk to casual players you can mention Nate Doss by name and get blank stares. Mention "Cubby" and they will say "you mean that dude with all the aces?" The effect of the videos is that they have promoted a guy who is a run-of-the-mill Advanced Master player to a status that eclipses a two-time World Champion. That's not Cubbys fault. Nate Doss needs to work on his PR and promote himself better. If all of the top DG's learned how to promote themselves (and by extension the sport) like Cubby, they might be able to make their half-assed "pro" tour work. People should stop bitching about Cubby and learn from him.

I've played with him. Those videos aren't fake. Ya'll need to find something better to do than keep bashing a man who's trying to promote the sport.

So what is it like playing with the guy? I mean does he really set up his camera on every hole to capture his Ace? What would happen if he Aced a hole that he wasn't recording? I believe that he does have all the Aces, I just wonder if all of the videos he has made about them actually show the real shots.

Sounds like I need to go to that Cedar Brook course just to see it. I have never seen a course that short. Are there a lot of obstacles or is it just open?
There are a few trees but in general it's pretty darn open. It's on the grounds of an elementary school and obviously designed for young children. Well done for its audience, but not worth going out of your way for at all.... unless you're trying to jack up your ace count or practice upshots.

Again, a completely unintelligible post. Thanks again, Omega, for adding your intellect and wisdom to the discussion.

"Probally" ?

"i mean you wouldnt setup a camera a thousand times to catch one ace." Actually, that's exactly what he does. I doubt it takes a thousand setups to get one ace, but he does regularly setup and record his games.

"Putting a 1 on the scorecard" - standing on the scorecard while you're putting? Throwing your disc at the scorecard? Throwing a 1g putter?

Amen, bro.
look up the definition of putting it has 2 meanings as**ole

definition of Ace from the free dictionary.com- the act of hitting a golf ball in the hole with one's first shot.

so an ace is impossible with a disc??

just kidding ... I see what everyone is saying about the importance of a real ace being on the first throw ...

i went and played a 170' hole today,took about 200 shots and had 9 aces,to bad i don't have a camera:(

i went on you tube last night and noticed the videos are mostly listed as holes in ones but on the side of some of them they are listed under what ace number it was. if he wants to knock me for never even hitting a hole in one thats fine i dont practice i only play rounds and dont go for aces i shoot for birds because going for aces on a real round is stupid.

but i have a problem with him saying hes hit 300+ aces and then calling them holes in ones too, im actually kind of curious how many aces he has hit and im sure he has a few and i would be willing to give him props for those if he would be honest. But the holes in ones he has hit minus the real aces and re-tee holes in ones dont mean jacks*** imo. btw those are not great shots unless he only throws once then goes to a different hole i mean i can make 1 out of 5 halfcourt shots all day if i stand in the same spot but have only made maybe one or two in an actual game. Im not saying the videos are fake but if you count the hangtime you can tell theyre not very long and are in the range of birdies and pars we all hit in real rounds.

I'd have to agree with the majority here that Cubby's ace count is somehow manipulated. I'll also agree that an "Ace" is when you step up to the tee box, and get it in the chains on your first, and only your first, throw. Anything else is just practice, and even though it may be a hole in one, it wouldn't really count as an ace. There is certainly a difference between a real round, recorded on a score card, and a practice round, which is not.

And regarding the post that "Cubby" made in the other thread, anyone could sign up for an account with that name and post whatever they wanted. There is no reason at all to believe that was Cubby posting on this board. Look at the post count, and if he was really that into DG, then don't you think he would have contributed more here, or at other forums?

Granted, I would love to have as many hole in one shots as he has had, but I doubt that the vast majority are an "Ace" by the accepted definition on this board.

Just my 2¢ ... :rolleyes:

If the guy wants to go out there and shoot a kazillion times for one ace Who cares? I mean really? Is he claiming to be the disc golf God?Do you see him listed has the greatest disc golfer ever?
If someone watches that and it gets them interested in playing and then they go out and realize that its not really that easy but they like the challenge and start playing more,whats wrong with that?
I don't know the guy from Adam but it doesn't look to me like he's casting the sport in a bad light or making fun of it,looks like he goes out there and has a good time.Whats wrong with that?

And regarding the post that "Cubby" made in the other thread, anyone could sign up for an account with that name and post whatever they wanted. There is no reason at all to believe that was Cubby posting on this board. Look at the post count, and if he was really that into DG, then don't you think he would have contributed more here, or at other forums?

I really believe that was Cubby on the other thread. Someone pretending to be someone else wouldn't have been that gracious while at the same time defending what he's trying to do. In terms of being into DG, maybe he's more into his blog than posting on threads. The guy does a lot on his site, he just doesn't pay attention here? Just another theory.

I don't personally have a problem with it, it seems pretty harmless. He seems to genuinely want to promote the sport and posting on youtube gives the sport more exposure. I find the whole ace count thing entertaining, kind of a novelty. If he's throwing multiple discs on short holes I wouldn't call them legitimate aces though. The whole video camera thing reminds me of "Uncle Rico".

I saw this on one of the video comments from Cubby

DiscGolfer (1 year ago) Show Hide Marked as spam Reply Cubby is definately not a PRO. But I am one of the better players on a short course format. When I play Disc Golf I always bring a light weight tripod and digital camera. If I am by myself I will sometimes set it up on each hole I am playing, if I get the Ace cool. If not I move on. At times I have played multiple discs or even thrown my whole bag at a hole, but for the most part I just set it up on a short hole and either get it or move on.

And its 367 hole in ones now

Latest posts