• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

DD Ranger vs Commander

Jbultman

Birdie Member
After playing with my fossa bag for a while it's starting to fall apart. I've decided to go with either the DD Ranger or DD Commander.

I know the main difference in bags is storage, but most likely I'll be looking into getting a cart in the next year or two (If I decide to do some more tourneys). I would like to have ability to carry a backpack or use the cart.

Which bag is better for carrying and possibly putting into a cart?

Seems to me the Commander is a bit wide for a cart but they fit. Also the Commander in what I have read is a bit wide for the shoulders. The smaller Ranger has some left and right side less stiff issues that tend to plague the $30-$40 bag range. The Ranger can hold a large bottle of water, a 40oz bottle but only having on one side. I would use the top for storage on a Ranger bag to hold my stuff. The bag that seems best out of the the two is, just what you want from the bag its-self when not using a cart. Just stay away from the Sniper backpack as the straps like to rip off that particular bag as does the middle bag handle. Mostly the issue with the Sniper backpack is if you use single strap and a preferred strap it rips off the Sniper, quicker is the bag is crammed full of discs. Do not forget no storage on a Sniper is the other big problem.

I've always found that the rangers are way tippy, especially when compared to the commander. I feel that the commander is easier to get disc in and out of as well, but I prefer top load. On my back the commander feels better too, the ranger seemed to dig in to me too much. But i may be a bit of an outlier, I prefer the way the commander rides on my back over my UPD shift. Maybe it's because I'm on the taller end of the spectrum 6'3".

The commander bottle holders are gone on a cart, and the side pockets are a bit less useful. I have yet to see a ranger on a cart, but I imagine that if loaded poorly it could still try to tip off the cart.

ymmv

Last edited:
I have a ranger bag, and very much enjoy it in or out of the cart. It sits nicely on my back for the most part (6'3" 245), and has as much storage as I'd likely ever need. It also has the plastic feet on the bottom to help avoid contact with dirt and debris as much as possible.

The commander bags I've seen seem really well made, but slightly less ideal for a cart due to the decreased amount of storage. However, for someone who likes to carry just discs and not much else, it is PERFECT.

I have a ranger bag in a DD cart, basically a zuca. You can fit the Ranger in the cart but it's not exactly easy. It's pretty tight. Frankly it's a PITA to get it in and out, to the point where I don't really want to do it unless I have to. It's a great set up, just not as flexible as I originally thought. Just something to keep in mind...it's hard to beat a Ranger bag I will say. No experience with the commander.

I love my Commander bag. I'm not a huge tournament player (just a couple a year, plus league nights), so I don't need the extra storage (and cost) of the Ranger bag.

I have both and there are pros and cons too both
I think it's easier to load and unload stuff in the commander bag and its comfortable while the ranger bag has more storage,can fit on the cart better.I mainly use the ranger because I use the storage and it fits more comfortable on my body frame.

I would like to add that the durability of the Ranger bag is fantastic! I've had my bag for 5 years, play often, and have had no tearing, or any issues what so ever.

I've had both the Ranger and Commander bags. I enjoy the Commander bag so much more. They both basically hold the same amount of discs, the side sleeves can hold 2-3 discs each, dual beverage holders, a cell phone pocket, the top quiver can hold 2-4 putters compared to Rangers 2 putter side quiver and the best part of the Commander is it has a rainfly for an extra $20 complete with zippers so you can access all your stuff without pulling it to the side or what not.

The only area the Ranger bag is better is the large upper storage, compared to the Commanders smaller 2 side pockets, but in my experience the Ranger Storage couldn't fit a bulky sweater well so really whats the point of storage if you can't store anything bulky. The Commander's two side pockets hold my wallet, keys in one and speaker and other misc in the other. and since the Wallet and keys are in their own pocket they never have a chance of falling out when digging for other stuff.

And the Commander being $50 cheaper doesn't hurt

I was looking seriously at both when I eventually got the Ranger. I felt like the extra money was justified given the lifetime warranty that comes with it. That was the main thing that swayed me because I'm sure I would have been happy with either.

I have a camo DD Ranger and absolutely love it. I originally bought a Commander bag but due to the lack of storage and too much of a boxy feel in the design, I returned it. Overall, I liked how the Ranger felt on my shoulders and the storage space is insanely good. But that storage space can also be a sly culprit. I carry about 16-18 discs in the main compartment and in the putter pocket a KC Pro Aviar and DD Classic Burst Judge. The cavernous top storage area of bag is great. I carry a variety of candy or protein bars, can of bug spray, sunscreen, two towels, two minis, couple of Cubs koozies, wallet, my vape, scorecards, hand warmer, Friction glove, and a couple other odds and ends. That's the problem...it's added weight. Throw on my bluetooth JBL hanging on the bag, a stainless steel 64oz water bottle in the large bottle holder and that weight adds up. I love having all of my stuff on the course! But, man, after 36 holes, I am drained from carrying the Ranger. Enter the solution....the DD ezCart. The bag fits perfectly secure on the black matte finished frame and the huge bonus for me is that due to the open frame design, all pockets are accessible. Bluetooth speaker is mounted to the cart with a couple velcro strips along with a couple towels hanging off bag and cart. It is easy to push or pull (with the dual handle bar mod) and has truly changed my game. I have more energy, my shoulders don't hurt after 18 or 36, and I have a newfound enjoyment for a two-hour round now because of the ezCart. I even have my stool stored on the side of the Ranger...quick easy access. Love. This. Combo! All starts with the DD Ranger bag. :clap:

Latest posts