• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Delaware Disc Golf Challenge

The percentage system, in my opinion, is flawed. In most cases, a birdie on a hole with a SSA of 3 is not any more difficult than a birdie on a hole with a SSA of 4. Yet the current rankings system says that it is.

The logic that "shooting a 40 on a SSA 50 is more impressive than shooting 60 on a SSA 72 because 80% is less than 83%" doesn't work because such calculations use "0" as a starting point (because 40 is 80% of the way between 0 and 50). "0" is a natural starting point for most percentages, but it might as well be an imaginary number when comparing strokes in disc golf, as shooting a zero is impossible.

That is why you get such screwy results like this tournament:
McBeth shoots a 14 down, breaking a course record on a nasty course with roughly a billion trees that has been played over and over again by the best players in the world. He has circle 2 birdie putts on literally every hole. Didn't have to scramble once for an entire round! Then, he makes five or six circle 2 putts. Yet, according to round ratings, this year's Memorial saw FOURTEEN ROUNDS better than his. At last year's Memorial, his 1062 rating was met or exceeded 21 times. This is obviously ridiculous.

A formula could be built using standard deviations as its core mechanic that would fix all of the inconsistencies.

Doesn't the Memorial have a lot more higher rated players in attendance?

I'm pretty sure that matters with the current rating system.

Not saying right or wrong, just that I believe that is a factor

At least one factor is more of the lower rated players generating much of the penalty padding which artificially boosts the SSA and the ratings of the best scores at the Memorial.

I can see this point. But why do we assume that Iron Hill is the anomaly and not Foutain Hills? Especially since FH has a track record of disproportionately producing highly rated rounds.

I can see this point. But why do we assume that Iron Hill is the anomaly and not Foutain Hills? Especially since FH has a track record of disproportionately producing highly rated rounds.
They both are anomalous relative to each other.

Currently, 18 holes of Iron Hill, with more throws to the SSA (70ish), end up having the same weight to a composite player rating as 18 holes of, say, Timmons Park (SSA of 44 or so). We should know more about the player based on 70 throws than 44, right? So why not weight player ratings to include the SSA, such that rounds on high-SSA courses (Iron Hill, Jackson, Winthrop, etc) more strongly influence total player rating than rounds from local pitch-and-putts?

That course is gorgeous. And holes 17 and 18, at least in the drone footage on Jomez, are hauntingly beautiful.

The turnout and gallery was really great. Would have been a real fun one to spectate, especially since they were allowed to stand anywhere they wanted ;)

Impressive round by Mcbeth! And for Ricky only being 3 strokes off the lead and literally coming to the course from the hospital, kudos

Regarding the off-topic rating discussion, it would be much more fruitful to continue the discussion if the current rating calculation system would be open and not some secret sauce formula. As the current methodology is not open to critique and validation, I feel these discussions are bit pointless. While the current system seems to work well in general, based on the small crumbles of information here and there, I'm sure the system could be improved using proper statistical modelling and vast amount of historical data we have available (whether the members would want to recalculate everything etc is another issue, but at least everybody should be able to know how the system works and when it might not perform optimally).

Regarding the off-topic rating discussion, it would be much more fruitful to continue the discussion if the current rating calculation system would be open and not some secret sauce formula. As the current methodology is not open to critique and validation, I feel these discussions are bit pointless. While the current system seems to work well in general, based on the small crumbles of information here and there, I'm sure the system could be improved using proper statistical modelling and vast amount of historical data we have available (whether the members would want to recalculate everything etc is another issue, but at least everybody should be able to know how the system works and when it might not perform optimally).

completely agree

What's up with the payouts for 6th and the tie for 7th?

Performance Tracks for MPO top ten finishers and top ten rated players.

attachment.php

Attachments

• DDGC18PTMPO.jpg
    DDGC18PTMPO.jpg
    112.9 KB · Views: 189
Jomez's coverage of Uli saying "Tutter Pouch" like 7 times, instead of "Putter Touch", is making me way more happy than it should be.

They have natural friends chemistry I'm sure from there time on prodigy and it works good. Uli is a good commentator and co host to Koling. Even Koling is growing on me, I used to always prefer his counterparts but he's holding his own and doing great.

Steve, I'd have liked to have seen Barsby on that chart as he just won worlds, it'd be interesting.

Is Hokom ever going to be called on her illegal jump putts? On one of her jump putts she had to be close to a foot in the air and still had the disc in her hand.

Latest posts