• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Des Moines, IA & Quad Cities: Where to play?

Donovan

Longview Disc Golf Association (TX)
Diamond level trusted reviewer
Premium Member
Anyone have a must play list for these 2 locations?

I will of course use the ratings and reviews, but not every course has those yet. Thanks!!!!

Pickard is the best of the three I played. A little south of town, but well worth it.

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/reviews.php?id=67&page=1&mode=rev#4199

Oh, and if you happen to find my driver in the woods on the third hole of Walnut Ridge, let me know. :|

In all seriousness, though, Walnut Ridge is also worth your time. The navigation issues caused me to knock about 3/4s of a disc off my review.

Last edited:
Thanks Greg!

I wish some locals would chime in on this one, but this site and your help should get me through this trip. :)

I'm from the area, and it really depends on the length you're looking for, and whether you like open or more wooded holes... Personally I think that Pickard and Ewing are the best, but Walnut Ridge is pretty highly looked upon. Grandview is a good one if you're a pretty casual player and don't mind the risk of high traffic.

That's for Des Moines by the way. I've never ventured over to the Quad Cities, but I'm pretty sure a pretty high profile women's tourney was there a couple years ago, so there has to be a pretty decent course. Either way, if you want to play the better Des Moines courses stick to the ones being used in the First Class Challenge: http://www.desmoineschallenge.org/Courses.html (I'll let you find them on here)

My parents live in Illinois, and I used to live in Nebraska, so I made the trek across Iowa countless times. I've played Ewing, Grandview, and Walnut Ridge in Des Moines and you can't miss with any of them. I'll second what jdggna said about Grandview being the most casual friendly, but it is really fun. Walnut Ridge is outside town aways, but from what I can remember, it's probably my favorite of the 3.

I never got around to playing any of the Quad Cities course for some reason, but I've heard they have some great courses there as well.

Thanks, you guys. I will hit all of those for sure!

I don't mind driving an hour if I have to. I made trip through Nebraska and hit every course I could find. Sad thing is there were a bunch of bad ones. So this time I am planning on playing the ones people really enjoy.

The general consensus around Des Moines is that those 5 (Pickard, Ewing, Walnut Ridge, Big Creek, and Grandview) are the best. They are the courses that the leagues around DM play on. As long as you aren't crunched for time, I would try them all, though admittedly in all the time I've been here I've yet to make it to Big Creek...I like Walnut Ridge enough that I usually just play that when I head that direction. I've posted a map in the Links/Files section of Walnut Ridge that for some reason was taken off the site that originally hosted it, but it will make navigating it MUCH easier for you, print it off for sure.

Pickard! You'll love it!

Are you driving up through Kansas City?

Nah, flying in to Moline, IL and working that direction.

The general consensus around Des Moines is that those 5 (Pickard, Ewing, Walnut Ridge, Big Creek, and Grandview) are the best. They are the courses that the leagues around DM play on. As long as you aren't crunched for time, I would try them all, though admittedly in all the time I've been here I've yet to make it to Big Creek...I like Walnut Ridge enough that I usually just play that when I head that direction. I've posted a map in the Links/Files section of Walnut Ridge that for some reason was taken off the site that originally hosted it, but it will make navigating it MUCH easier for you, print it off for sure.

Geesh! I almost for got to print the course maps. Glad, you reminded me. Thanks for doing that BTW!

Geesh! I almost for got to print the course maps. Glad, you reminded me. Thanks for doing that BTW!

No problem. I figured that was the most useful advise for Walnut Ridge. Ewing and Pickard are doable without them, but they definitely leave room for confusion.

Top 3: Walnut, Ewing Pickard
If you have time: Big Creek, Grandview

I put BC and G in a separate category because, while they are still very good courses in their own right, they have an issue or two that will detract from your playing experience...

Big Creek: Poison Ivy. It's practically a jungle of the stuff out there in the summer time. You're fine if you stay on the fairway, but I don't know anyone who can do that consistently. I only play it in the very early Spring and late Fall.

Grandview: It's a popular course. With that comes a sizable wait, sometimes, to tee off. Also, it's the one DSM-area course that runs through a very busy park, so there are some conflicts that will come into play, like pick-up baseball games, kids running from the big shelter to the swings, etc...

Walnut, Ewing and Pickard have the luxury of being in areas that are fairly free of other park users. There is poison ivy on every course, but just a little easier to stay away from on these courses.

Again, Thanks so much to everyone for your help. Noq f theraib wil hold off the next few days ... :rolleyes:

I totally agree with the Des Moines advice, but nobody's really answered the Quad Cities half of the question...

* Middle Park in Bettendorf is a nice, solid, diverse 18 with some woods and some distance. Just one of those satisfying 18s that leaves you with a smile.
* Longview Park in Rock Island is an interesting 18 that's woven into a big, open, sloping park. So if you don't mind a few manmade obstacles here and there (which I think are actually fun), it's another solid one with great views of the QC.
* Sugar Bottom Rec Area in North Liberty... It's on the way from the QC to Des Moines, near Iowa City. Another very satisfying 18, some woods, some distance.

All three of those courses are well worth your time, but if you were going to pick, say, five overall, I'd take two of these (Middle and Sugar) and three in Des Moines: Ewing (for sure), Pickard (pretty exhausting), and either Grandview or Walnut Ridge.

Enjoy!

If you're also looking at courses between QC and DSM, I'd look at Maytag Park in Newton and Lewis Club Park in Colfax.

I'd consider Maytag Park first for its proximity to I-80 but they each have their charms.

I played Ewing after work today and my God, it was so hot. Bring plenty of water if you haven't gone yet. If you have water bottles there is a pump you can fill them up with after holes 3 and 8.

In Des Moines just now. I played across hwy 34. Nothing to brag at. I played the Quad Cities already and got Middle in Bettendorf and the Moline Prospect course. these course had some good thngs about them, but they had 1 huge down fall for me. I hate walking fairways that are on sides of slopes. My feet were sore from walking on the sides on them across most of the fairways. It was insane, they just kept making the holes along the slopes of the hills instead of using the elevation up and down. Oh well. Des Moines is tomorrow if the rain goes away.

Latest posts