• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Destination cities for quality AND quantity?

Nemmers

Eagle Member
Silver level trusted reviewer
I've perused the DGCR course map and many major cities seem to have plenty of courses around them. I'm in Wilmington, NC and with Castle Hayne being my home course the bar is set pretty high, but locally it's pretty much the only game in town. Like many other cities, Wilmington has one or two "good" courses within proximity, but is surrounded by a plethora of "throw-away" courses that offer little to draw you in.

That said, if you were so inclined to take a road trip and try and get in as many really challenging, fun courses as possible in a short amount of time, what city (in your estimation) would offer this sort of experience? What city offers the largest variety of quality courses within a 30 mile radius?

In short, if you had a camper and a week off work, where would you travel to get the best disc golf experience with the widest variety of courses?

Citing places that I've never been too, Charlotte would probably top the list. Cincinnati might be second.

Kind of the problem with this question is that there are a number of factors in play that have nothing to do with the disc golf courses that might affect the results. For one, a 30 mile radius is much easier to negotiate traffic in at some locales than it is others.

And for one, even if I were headed to some city as a disc golf destination, I'd never skip courses along the way just to expedite getting there.

You want to tighten down some definitions?

"Challenging, fun" - what constitutes "fun"?

"Variety" - is this just number of courses, or varieties of styles of courses?

Presumably you've got your choice of seasons, so climate doesn't matter---you can pick the season that best suits the locale.

And you want to stay put in one place, rather than cut a swath across a region.

Some of my favorites so far are Charlotte, Minneapolis, Cincinnati, Ludington MI and you might even be able to count whatever tiny town Highbridge is in since they have so many options onsite.

You want to tighten down some definitions?

"Challenging, fun" - what constitutes "fun"?

"Variety" - is this just number of courses, or varieties of styles of courses?

I was thinking more along the lines of which cities have the highest number of quality courses in the smallest geographical area. "Quality" is, obviously, a very subjective term, but that's why I asked since DGCR ratings overall -- for all their benefit -- can be pretty biased when taken as a whole.

Austin

Being from Austin I am a little biased, but as far as quality and quantity it is hard to beat. On any given day you can play a large array of different courses without driving more that 15 miles.
Some of my favorites being Circle c, Roy G. Gurrero, Manor, Met Center, Austin Bible Ridge, Marry Moore Searight(shorter mostly par threes but still fun),Old Settelers, just to name a few.
It would also allow you to make a pit stop along the way to play the Selah Ranch courses which are all kinds of AWESOME!:thmbup:

Cincinnati was just listed as the 15th best vacation destination "in the world".

No kidding.

The disc golf is pretty great here too. :thmbup:

Highbridge Hills Sports Complex (HHSC) is in the town of High Bridge (or Highbridge), WI. Population in 2000 was 537 but that may be the zip code not the town which I've always heard was about 45 people.

Cincinnati, OH: Idlewild, Mt Airy(not sure why this course isn't rated higher), Lincoln Ridge, Osage grove just to name the great ones. Plus 7-10 other good courses. Also we have a great 9 hole course, Mason sports park, http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=2628, probably not to many 9holers with a SSE of 27.5. Bowling green, KY is pretty good too for a small college city.

Last edited:
What about multiple cities that are fairly close to one another? The drive from Minneapolis to Des Moines is about 3.5-4 hours and the drive from Des Moines to Kansas City is about 3-3.5 hours. You could pick the best of the best from each of them and only waste a day's worth of driving. You could even hit up courses on the way that wouldn't be worth the trip on their own.

You are in my favorite state for disc golf. Throw a dart at the state map & there is something great close by.

But seriously how do start a thread like this and have not played Charlotte yet.

When you are done will all Charlotte, several months from now don't miss Ashe in Jefferson, NC and Glenn C in North Wilkesboro.

Portland is pretty solid.

Portland isn't quite as dense with good courses as some of the other options like Charlotte, and doesn't have as many beginner friendly courses as a more spread out destination like Minneapolis. It's a great place to go, just not quite as concentrated.

From my own experience, the best city is Minneapolis. There's a good course in almost every direction you go.

The best small town area is Conifer Colorado. Having Bucksnort, Phantom Falls, Beaver Ranch and Bailey so close together makes for amazing long weekend trips. Plus there's a ton of great free camping in the area as well. And Ghost Town and Rocky mountain Village aren't far away either.

Why does it all need to be in a 30 mile radius?

In this hypothetical, you're in a camper, so you don't need a central point, you just want a reasonably short drive from one course to the next.

So taking that into consideration, I'd say northern VT. You can combine beautiful scenery, great beer, and a great collection of courses. None of them suck, it's kind of amazing. And, to make it even more appealing, the courses are never very crowded.

Minneapolis is the best concentrated location I've had the pleasure of playing, but it definitely requires having access to a vehicle to really get the best out of the MSP/STP metro.

Charlotte I think is going to be the top answer in this here thread. Its definitely number 1 on my list of 'places I have to play.'

If I had a week and a camper, I'd hit the Minneapolis area for a few days, then drive over and hit Justin Trails, Sandy Point, and spend a couple days at Highbridge.

But that's just me.

Latest posts