• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] DESTROYER destroyers unite!!

I prefer stiffer star plastic for Destroyers because I mostly throw them sidearm and soft discs are not the business when thrown with that technique. I tend to use the softer ones for backhand because they feel better than the stiff ones for my backhand grip, and also they generally require a little less power to fly correctly.

Anyone else find that champion Destroyers make great turnover max distance drivers after they are broken in?

do people think the stiffer blend 3-line AJs are going to become more sought after as this new blend comes into play?

I'm using a mix of champ, star, echo star and pro for my destroyers ATM. The nice overstable star destroyers are to expensive. You can buy ANY champ destroyer and it'll be over stable. Screw the extra 10 feet you get with glide. Isn't worth $40 a disc to me. When my champ breaks in I'll post about it. See if it picks up glide and holds onto the low speed stability.

The echo star destroyers from the factory store are useless. I used one for a few weeks and it is more under stable now then a Avery Jenkins destroyer I used for bit more then a year.

My pro is pop top. Has way more glide then any star I've seen and straight up bombs. I don't throw it anywhere near trees as I'd like to keep it at the stability it is. The e* is already floppy don't need two.

My star is most likely Vulcan top. Better mix of distance & accuracy then champ and pro. Good glide not as much as pro though. Has kept it's low speed stability do far and gained some high speed turn. Does it's job.

do people think the stiffer blend 3-line AJs are going to become more sought after as this new blend comes into play?
i think eventually they might be a bit more sought after, just like anything 'old' these days.

the 'new blend' star destroyers don't fly bad or anything... the flightplate just feels a bit thin to me and the plastic is definitely gummier.

time will tell when i finally start to season one up i suppose.

It's not really the blend of plastic that people are looking for with those, it's the shape of the wing. At one point the Star DS were being run with the "destrulcan" mold - these are generally your 2-line AJ's from a couple of years ago. After that when they went to the 3-line sig (which many were calling the return of good DS), but this was due to the wing shape going back the something very similar to the SDS runs and these also had a good pop top to them. BUT now they are running the destrulcan type mold on the AJ's with 3-line sigs.

Point being if they ever do become worth money it will be because of the mold more-so than the plastic, and will be judged on a case by case basis with the profile being the deciding factor for those seeking specific runs.

how come people throw star not champion? Just because they lose stability? It seems like I've had some nice champion destroyers.

Grip and glide are really the main reasons, although some may find them easier to cycle and might be why they stock up.

thanks for this last post ... I totally agree about the mold being the most important characteristic on the older 3-line AJs with the good wing/dome. this is the run that finally convinced me to start throwing destroyers for good.

I'm trying to stock up on this run as best I can before the market shifts

Why do people want stiff Destroyers? Longer break in period (more OS)? Or do all you guys just prefer stiffer star plastic in general for all discs?

I prefer softer star but I don't have any clue if there is some correlation to Destroyer flight...

Im right there with you on the softer star. To me its much better than the super stiff plastic. But its all preference.

I prefer stiffer star plastic for wraiths and destroyers ... seems to take longer to get to the sweet spot and stays there longer. and I don't feel like I'm going to turn it over fresh out of the box the same way gstar or a softer star feels in my hand.

I simply haven't found anything that quite compares to my older Star Destroyers and I'm looking for something to fill the overstable spot for my distance drivers. The most stable ones I've found recently have been max weight Champs.

To quote the late Dave Thomas....Where's the beef?

Why do people want stiff Destroyers? Longer break in period (more OS)? Or do all you guys just prefer stiffer star plastic in general for all discs?

I prefer softer star but I don't have any clue if there is some correlation to Destroyer flight...

The really stiff star plastic lasts absolutely forever, pretty much regardless of what mold its in. With the stiff star plastic if the disc starts out on the beefy side it will be worth bagging for a decade or more. The softer stuff looses its stability much faster relatively. They still make good throwers that will last a while, but not nearly as long.

I just picked up a nice stack of new destroyers: Pre-avery *D, 2013 USDGC star destroyer, and a current production AJ.

The current run AJ was a bit of a gamble. Got it online, was hoping not to get the super soft star but did. Its got a nice destroyer profile so hopefully it will make a good thrower. Soft star plastic is NOT my cup of tea, but if it breaks in a bit faster then my new pop top beefcake that would probably be a good thing. We shall see.

Look back through this thread. Notroman has posted some great profile pics

Is there a link or something with pictures of the different types of destroyers in star plastic?
this thread is basically going to be your 'go to' resource on the entire damn internet. same with the Roc thread. maybe somebody with more time can put together an imgur album or something but ya...

i feel like the old PDGA forums had some good threads about specific disc molds/plastic blends with pics -- not the mention the 'ask Dave D' thread (which had GREAT insider info directly from the source) -- but they are forever lost to time...

this thread is basically going to be your 'go to' resource on the entire damn internet. same with the Roc thread. maybe somebody with more time can put together an imgur album or something but ya...

i feel like the old PDGA forums had some good threads about specific disc molds/plastic blends with pics -- not the mention the 'ask Dave D' thread (which had GREAT insider info directly from the source) -- but they are forever lost to time...

However, Dave said some complete untruths in his thread. (Im hesitant to call him a liar). Sure he is the source, but his right hand wasn't on the bible. Maybe he simply wasn't aware of everything going on in the factory.

However, Dave said some complete untruths in his thread. (Im hesitant to call him a liar). Sure he is the source, but his right hand wasn't on the bible. Maybe he simply wasn't aware of everything going on in the factory.
I'm sure there was some nonsense in there but, overall, that thread was one of the most interesting disc golf related reads I've ever taken the time to dig into. Much of the good discussion was from old-school players commenting on Dave's answers.

Latest posts