• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] DESTROYER destroyers unite!!

I've been using two Champion Destroyers for all my distance sidearm throws. I was using one new one (overstable) & a beat one (hyzer flips). I just switched to Star for my sidearm distance discs. I should have done it along time ago. I cycle Star Destroyers for my backhand distance discs. I'm weird, I like to keep my max distance sidearm & backhand distance discs separate. I don't do that with my slower discs. I throw my fairways, mids & putters both ways. I played a few rounds in wet conditions. I just wasn't getting the grip I wanted on my Champ Destros. I have a lot more Star than Champion Destroyers. It was an easy transition. I may still pair an overstable Star Destroyer with something slightly slower and more understable for my hyzer flip flick shots. There's a 350' wooded tunnel shot on my home course that finishes slightly right. My beat Destroyers still fade out more than I'd like even on a hyzer flip sidearm. I'm thinking of going with a seasoned Star Wraith (Big Jerm inspired).

I REALLY like the latest run of destroyers. Gonna be a pain having a hard time finding overstable destroyers again, but these ones fly really nice.

I only have 1 of the new embossed ones, which happens to be a tourney stamp,(compared to 11 McBeths), and the new one is right in the middle of the pack stability wise. Great run so far

Embossed with "DESTROYER" on the underside. These fly just like 12/5/-1/3, they're money for the workhorse stability distance driver

I've seen a lot of those embossed destroyers, they all seem to be on the flatter spectrum of dome. That has been putting me off from buying them. Are the nice fliers domey, or are they more likely the flatter ones I've been seeing?

I've seen a lot of those embossed destroyers, they all seem to be on the flatter spectrum of dome. That has been putting me off from buying them. Are the nice fliers domey, or are they more likely the flatter ones I've been seeing?

All the best flying Destroyers I've thrown were domey. And that goes for all other driver molds too. Flat discs tend to be very overstable and lack glide.

Its no accident that all the best/longest flying driver molds these days have a lot of dome.
Flat discs are useful more for severe headwind use when you don't necessarily want the disc to glide.

The *D Destroyers and first run Destroyers that everyone absolutely loves for their incredible glide/distance are for the most part on the flat side.

I perfer the Destroyers with dome but I've thrown some flat Destroyers that went a long long way because of the high speed turn they had.

The *D Destroyers and first run Destroyers that everyone absolutely loves for their incredible glide/distance are for the most part on the flat side.

I perfer the Destroyers with dome but I've thrown some flat Destroyers that went a long long way because of the high speed turn they had.

I guess when I think "flat" discs I mean exactly that. Like no dome at all. I've seen very few Destroyers of that description. Most have at least a little dome.

All the 1st run Destroyers I've seen have at least some dome.

I actually like the relatively flat Destroyers that turn/fade for a ~400' arm too. Feel great for forehands as well. Handle a wide range of power and always show some turn but don't burn unless wind, for me at least.

With 3 line ajs costing 40 bucks now I'm tempted to drop my two. They are purdy and I barely ever throw the ds mold.

The real struggle is finding more than one nice champ ds.

With 3 line ajs costing 40 bucks now I'm tempted to drop my two. They are purdy and I barely ever throw the ds mold.

The real struggle is finding more than one nice champ ds.

What?? 3 lines are the more recent AJ's...just any 3 lines are worth that? What about 2 lines?

And there's even a nice champ DS out there?

There's a reason Simon and Eagle use CPD2's for their all out distance. If you can find a champion destroyer with slight dome, they will bomb. Start out fairly overstable and beat in to be fantastic. It's just a lot harder to find a perfect champion destroyer than it is to find a good star one.

There's a reason Simon and Eagle use CPD2's for their all out distance. If you can find a champion destroyer with slight dome, they will bomb. Start out fairly overstable and beat in to be fantastic. It's just a lot harder to find a perfect champion destroyer than it is to find a good star one.

I don't doubt it if you have their power, just any champ Destroyer I have tried has either flown like a FAF Firebird or a fresh star Destroyer. Simon doesn't throw Destroyers because he hints that they are too unpredictable for his arm speed...pretty crazy. I'm sure a beat in champ Destroyer can work for more regular guys too.

So I lost my favourite pink star destroyer today. I don't even know what run it was. It was a 2015 ND state champs one. I found two of the embossed destroyers at my local shop. Hopefully they will fill the void lost with the pink one.

How do the embossed Stars compare to a fresh E*DS? I've beat a couple into roles that absolutely bomb, but I don't want to throw discs that aren't easy to replace (and season into amazing fliers). I've got the OS slot(s) covered for a while (3 Star and 2 GStar) so I need flip, flippy, flippiest.

How do the embossed Stars compare to a fresh E*DS? I've beat a couple into roles that absolutely bomb, but I don't want to throw discs that aren't easy to replace (and season into amazing fliers). I've got the OS slot(s) covered for a while (3 Star and 2 GStar) so I need flip, flippy, flippiest.

That's the exact reason I stopped bagging Destroyers. I always loved them, and I've had some of my farthest throws ever with them, but I was always too nervous about losing my prized "perfectly seasoned" Star Destroyer. It takes way too long to get a brand new Star beat in enough for me to get nice turn out of them. Although the stock G-star's were almost perfect for me out of the box.

Latest posts