• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] DESTROYER destroyers unite!!

So how do people feel about the DDX as a suitable replacement for a semi worn Destroyer? I have one I bought on a whim and it seems like a good candidate. However, I found that it lacks the glide of a beat/semi-beat Destroyer and has a pretty shallow hand feel. Anyone else come to that conclusion?

Yup

I sold the ones I had.

I currently have one and might have to throw it for FHs as it is too shallow for BHs. Glide 6? I don't think so, maybe 4.5?

Yup

I sold the ones I had.

this summer i tried totally dropping the tern and ddx.

i was down to 8molds for my whole bag and the ddx was a one trick pony - backhand distance. i couldn't sidearm a ddx consistently because of the shallow rim.

i'd just use echo star destroyers instead. the weird part is the current echo star destroyers are actually more understable than champ terns and ddx.

but the echo star destroyers advantage was rim depth for sidearms that made it more versatile over the ddx for me. so i could use the echo star destroyer on easy 70-80% power hyzer flip backhands then for max distance and tunnel hyzer flip sidearms.

when the echo star destroyers became too flippy (they can get almost too flippy after 2months) i'd swap a new one in.

with max distance backhands that i'd normally throw a ddx i just used my stable to overstable star destroyers and deal with the slight (10-25ft) loss of distance. i did notice that once you learn to throw overstable destroyers the over stability makes it so much more consistent/reliable when hitting lines. avoiding ob/rough/danger was so much easier even when throwing with max power on backhand.

sidearms with overstable star destroyers is easy using flex and hyzer lines.

i was really happy with my distance drivers (echo star and star destroyers). down to 7 molds (p2, rancho roc, gator,FD, PD, firebird, destroyer) i achieved simplicity and bliss.

until i heard the heartbreaking rumor that INNOVA IS MAYBE DISCONTINUING ECHO STAR DESTROYERS.

dang.

the new embossed destroyer stamped destroyers are a little flippy out of the box which makes it a good option to replace echo star destroyers but breaking them in will take a lot longer and harder to replace.

Last edited:
this summer i tried totally dropping the tern and ddx.

i was down to 8molds for my whole bag and the ddx was a one trick pony - backhand distance. i couldn't sidearm a ddx consistently because of the shallow rim.

i'd just use echo star destroyers instead. the weird part is the current echo star destroyers are actually more understable than champ terns and ddx.

but the echo star destroyers advantage was rim depth for sidearms that made it more versatile over the ddx for me. so i could use the echo star destroyer on easy 70-80% power hyzer flip backhands then for max distance and tunnel hyzer flip sidearms.

when the echo star destroyers became too flippy (they can get almost too flippy after 2months) i'd swap a new one in.

with max distance backhands that i'd normally throw a ddx i just used my stable to overstable star destroyers and deal with the slight (10-25ft) loss of distance. i did notice that once you learn to throw overstable destroyers the over stability makes it so much more consistent/reliable when hitting lines. avoiding ob/rough/danger was so much easier even when throwing with max power on backhand.

sidearms with overstable star destroyers is easy using flex and hyzer lines.

i was really happy with my distance drivers (echo star and star destroyers). down to 7 molds (p2, rancho roc, gator,FD, PD, firebird, destroyer) i achieved simplicity and bliss.

until i heard the heartbreaking rumor that INNOVA IS MAYBE DISCONTINUING ECHO STAR DESTROYERS.

dang.

the new embossed destroyer stamped destroyers are a little flippy out of the box which makes it a good option to replace echo star destroyers but breaking them in will take a lot longer and harder to replace.

Good post

I'm pretty sure Innova discontinued echo star two years ago but forgot to tell us. It sucks. I'd rather have echo star destroyers and teebirds rather than some of the other plastics.

You're right on with the ddx and the rim feel.

The new embossed desyroyers are interesting. I've got one in the bag to see how it seasons. The plastic feels a tad weird but the flight is nice.

I'm liking that bag. Do you use the FD for understable stuff?

Good post

I'm pretty sure Innova discontinued echo star two years ago but forgot to tell us. It sucks. I'd rather have echo star destroyers and teebirds rather than some of the other plastics.

You're right on with the ddx and the rim feel.

The new embossed desyroyers are interesting. I've got one in the bag to see how it seasons. The plastic feels a tad weird but the flight is nice.

I'm liking that bag. Do you use the FD for understable stuff?

i bag 2 max weight champ FD. i've got one that's beat in for hyzer flip and turnover lines. then a fresh one for anything (because c line FD are jack of all traits). hell i even will side arm my FD on longer 300ft+ downhill shots.

i have noticed that when i'm throwing my kc pro rocs well i don't throw my fd at all.

i tried pro destroyers but they are weirdly very overstable when new then will abruptly become flippy. echo stars were flippy out of the box but held that beat to hell star destroyer magic for a good two months then become unpredictable.

i do bag a beat to hell echo star destroyer that is my sidewinder flippy roller level disc. i can do stand still sidearms that do situational hyzer flip to turnover lines for distance when in the woods up to 270-320ft. so there is uses for the unpredictability flippy beat in echo star destroyers (aside from rollers).

I second the ddx being a too shallow rim. Great distance but they never felt right. I could imagine because of their aerodynamics they would be the ultimate distance disc.. you know less wind turbulence under the flight plate kind of thing.

i bag 2 max weight champ FD. i've got one that's beat in for hyzer flip and turnover lines. then a fresh one for anything (because c line FD are jack of all traits). hell i even will side arm my FD on longer 300ft+ downhill shots.

i have noticed that when i'm throwing my kc pro rocs well i don't throw my fd at all.

i tried pro destroyers but they are weirdly very overstable when new then will abruptly become flippy. echo stars were flippy out of the box but held that beat to hell star destroyer magic for a good two months then become unpredictable.

i do bag a beat to hell echo star destroyer that is my sidewinder flippy roller level disc. i can do stand still sidearms that do situational hyzer flip to turnover lines for distance when in the woods up to 270-320ft. so there is uses for the unpredictability flippy beat in echo star destroyers (aside from rollers).

You should do an updated bag thread. It sounds interesting.

So what is the consensus on G* destroyers? Are they all over the place like regular star destroyer runs? or are they semi consistent? I haven't thrown one in years, and I actually thought the champs were a little straighter than the early, domey destroyers. I'm hoping they are a little on the straight to slightly flippy side. Any thoughts/advice?

So what is the consensus on G* destroyers? Are they all over the place like regular star destroyer runs? or are they semi consistent? I haven't thrown one in years, and I actually thought the champs were a little straighter than the early, domey destroyers. I'm hoping they are a little on the straight to slightly flippy side. Any thoughts/advice?

I've been wondering the same, but just put a max weight Champ Shryke in the bag for that slot. I'm not sure that it will stay as the rim is a bit shallow for me, but they are straight and LONG.

I'm hoping to pick up a G* Destroyer to compare.

The GStars I've bought were fairly consistent although not perfectly. They have been consistently more workable and less meat hooky than the Stars. I have 6 GStar Destroyers and all but one flew pretty similarly out of the box: like a worked in Star Destroyer that still doesn't really turn much but has developed some nice glide. The one GStar of mine that flew differently had a little more turn out of the box (it was one of the flat 2014 Am Champ ones). I have a couple 2014 Am Champ GStars, a couple F2's I bought in either late 2015 or early 2016, 1 that I bought new this year, and 1 that I traded someone for used.

I've thrown a couple Champion Destroyers that had more turn out of the box than a fresh Star or GStar, but still didn't get the same distance because they just didn't glide very well. I think it takes a lot of beating to get a Champion to the same level of glide.

The GStars I've bought were fairly consistent although not perfectly. They have been consistently more workable and less meat hooky than the Stars.

Thanks man, very informative post. I've got a G* on the way, but I know I don't have the arm for a beefy star. Hoping the G* is useable for me.

Thanks man, very informative post. I've got a G* on the way, but I know I don't have the arm for a beefy star. Hoping the G* is useable for me.

You should be good, I see like a 60' difference between beefy star and Gstar.

Same with regular Star Destroyers.

Flat vs. Domey, etc.

I have a 170 low dome G-Star that goes really far (kind of flippy, still fades kinda flight), but I only carry it in early spring, late fall and winter.

Thought.

As a vendor and someone who gets to see a lot of discs, I have been very pleasantly surprised lately with the consistency of the destroyer mold. I feel like every single new destroyer that we have ordered in the past few months (a few hundred) have all been what I would consider "Good". They all have a very mild dome to them, a great wing and every one that I have thrown has been consistently overstable. They are exactly what I think a destroyer should be and have been stocking up big time on them.

I used to be able to go thru a stack of destroyers and pick out the ones that will be more OS or US but thats now a thing of the past since they are all the same.

Can agree with Horsman above. I jumped on the Star Destroyer bandwagon this season, and most of mine are the current run of 4x McBeth. They all have very similar amounts of flip and fade, and are all about the same (normal) amount of dome as well. Very pleased with how they feel and how they fly.

That said, I did buy one from a user here that was labeled as a "meathook," and though it's another 4x McBeth it's definitely a bit more HSS, which is exactly what I was looking for.

Thought.

As a vendor and someone who gets to see a lot of discs, I have been very pleasantly surprised lately with the consistency of the destroyer mold. I feel like every single new destroyer that we have ordered in the past few months (a few hundred) have all been what I would consider "Good". They all have a very mild dome to them, a great wing and every one that I have thrown has been consistently overstable. They are exactly what I think a destroyer should be and have been stocking up big time on them.

I used to be able to go thru a stack of destroyers and pick out the ones that will be more OS or US but thats now a thing of the past since they are all the same.

That's what I did in 2012 and 2013 with those 3-line AJ's that everyone is spending silly money on now. I loved that run and I probably went a little overboard stocking up on it... Have enough for this lifetime and probably the next several more. Debating selling some and using the money to buy the current embossed run since it's a tick less stable and also flies great.

Latest posts