• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] DESTROYER destroyers unite!!

I'd have to agree. For a while I was one of the people making gross generalizations about Destroyers, attempting to figure out which ones fly certain ways.

I've come to the conclusion that you really can't tell. Each Destroyer seems to be different, often even within a particular run.

The one generalization I'll make is that the 2 raptor Wysocki Destroyers I've thrown so far are less stable than ANY McBeth Destroyer I've ever thrown (at least 12 of them).

With star Destroyers I've seen everything from 12, 4, 0, 3 to 12, 5, -2, 2. Quite a bit of variance within the mold.

And at one point I felt a DX Destroyer and I swear it was a Tee Rex/Xcalibur with the Destroyer stamp on it. It seems to me to be a few reasons why the Ricky Wysocki mold is more US, if it is not quick cooling the mold, then it is making that way on purpose, or a new version of Star plastic. To be honest Star varies the disc molds the most in flight for the different ways the plastic is made/cools up besides R-Pro.

new pro destroyer

I got this new destroyer today it is a pro I don't know if you can tell by the picture but it's almost a swirly a really nice blue with the dye kind of twirled throughout it and it almost has a hint of blizzard in the wings it also has a very nice pop top dome and I feel it's gonna be a complete monster I through it twice on the course this afternoon I wasn't sure what to expect whether it would be under stable or over stable so i kind of hedged my throw but it felt very nice and was straight out ofthe box.. the yellow one in the picture is an older pro destroyer that is my very under stable 1 I don't think you can tell the difference by the pictures but the blue 1 has a noticeable dome

here are pics...

Attachments

• 20200401_172920.jpg
    20200401_172920.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 53
  • 20200401_173106.jpg
    20200401_173106.jpg
    147.3 KB · Views: 61
I bought a couple of the Holly destroyers to help support a local pro and because I like destroyers and the stamp. They honestly have the best shape for a bomber destroyer that I have come across. Good dome and the flattest wing I have seen on a destroyer. They just boom out of the box. I don't know if I got lucky with the couple I got or if they are all like that, but they are already my longest destroyer that I have.

I bought a couple of the Holly destroyers to help support a local pro and because I like destroyers and the stamp. They honestly have the best shape for a bomber destroyer that I have come across. Good dome and the flattest wing I have seen on a destroyer. They just boom out of the box. I don't know if I got lucky with the couple I got or if they are all like that, but they are already my longest destroyer that I have.
Do they have the annyoing blizzard rim? Sounds pretty good otherwise.

Do they have the annyoing blizzard rim? Sounds pretty good otherwise.

I have a handful of the Holly Finley Star Destroyers, three yellow, two pink. They are all marked 171g. Three of them have smooth plastic surfaces. Two have some small striations on the rim like Innova drivers often have. Nothing really like Blizzard Champion bubbles though.

I have a handful of the Holly Finley Star Destroyers, three yellow, two pink. They are all marked 171g. Three of them have smooth plastic surfaces. Two have some small striations on the rim like Innova drivers often have. Nothing really like Blizzard Champion bubbles though.
How do they fly?

I have 4 or 5 Wysocki (Raptor) star Destroyers that have blizzardy/striated looking rims. I'm not wild about that, but I'll grudgingly admit the discs fly great.

I wonder if that striated plastic will wear out faster than the smoother stuff.

I have some of the slightly blizzarded star Destroyers, and they don't wear in very much faster than "solid" star.

Some of my favorite throwers for the middle distance slot are recent/embossed, flat, with some blizzarding, 168-172g. Little bit of turn but reliable fade. Great workhorse Destroyers.

Stargate XXL Destroyer

Got a chance to throw one of these today. First off, this is a newer Destroyer, and it reminded me a lot of a Wysocki raptor Destroyer. It had a very slightly concave wing and a nice dome. Disc is 168g. Also of note, the plastic has that slightly blizzardy appearance. It didn't seem to detract from the flight of the disc itself though.

Basically, this thing is a hair more overstable than the Wysocki (raptor) Destroyers I've thrown lately. It didn't hold the high speed turn very long. Fade was sudden and a little harsh. Classic 12, 5, -1, 3 flight. This was a good Destroyer, but not quite as floaty or long as the 2 raptor Destroyers I've thrown prior.

Is this disc worth the extra few bucks it costs? Only if you like cool stamps. The disc doesn't really distinguish itself from any other star Destroyer. I liked it OK, but won't say I was wildly impressed.

Got a chance to throw one of these today. First off, this is a newer Destroyer, and it reminded me a lot of a Wysocki raptor Destroyer. It had a very slightly concave wing and a nice dome. Disc is 168g. Also of note, the plastic has that slightly blizzardy appearance. It didn't seem to detract from the flight of the disc itself though.

Basically, this thing is a hair more overstable than the Wysocki (raptor) Destroyers I've thrown lately. It didn't hold the high speed turn very long. Fade was sudden and a little harsh. Classic 12, 5, -1, 3 flight. This was a good Destroyer, but not quite as floaty or long as the 2 raptor Destroyers I've thrown prior.

Is this disc worth the extra few bucks it costs? Only if you like cool stamps. The disc doesn't really distinguish itself from any other star Destroyer. I liked it OK, but won't say I was wildly impressed.

Which Destroyer is 'this' that you're talking about? Or are we playing a game where we're supposed to guess based on your clues?

Is there a thread of a decent lists of destroyer runs and their general flight patterns?

[/QUOTE]Basically, this thing is a hair more overstable than the Wysocki (raptor) Destroyers I've thrown lately. It didn't hold the high speed turn very long. Fade was sudden and a little harsh. Classic 12, 5, -1, 3 flight. This was a good Destroyer, but not quite as floaty or long as the 2 raptor Destroyers I've thrown prior. [/QUOTE]

I've thrown 4 of the Blue stargate destroyers and for me they all have a similar flight to the late McBeth destroyers, the ones right before he made the switch. For me I like these more than the ricky ones but I also only threw other peoples ones that were in the high 160s, and all the Stargate ones to my knowledge are 175g.

I would agree with your assessment and say I had a similar experience.

Quick note on Holly Finley Destroyers - I got 2 in today because I liked the stamp. They have a very traditional Destroyer upper wing shape with a nice moderate dome. The wing is not as concave as a PFN I have or the McBeth's I have seen but not as straight as my gstars or raptors.

It is a nice firm shiny star plastic with no bubbling or blizzardish rim. Got a pink and blue and the blue has some nice whitish swirls in there. Very bright shiny coloring.

I've only gotten to throw it twice, one being a spike hyzer but just judging by the looks and comparison to what I have, this appears to be a nice run. For me with 400' of power I think this will be a nice overstable run that would beat in perfectly.

Instead of making innumerable crappy Star Destroyers, Innova should just make less of them at a higher quality level, while charging a few dollars more. Same profit, and as an added bonus it'll keep the noobs from hucking so many of them.