• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Detroit, MI for a few days... what to play?

Wally

Par Member
I am going to visit my friend this upcoming Sunday living in Detroit, MI (right downtown) for a few days and was wondering what courses in the greater Detroit area are worth hitting up. I am going to have at least 3 (maybe 4) full days to work with so I am think about this as my plan:

Sunday, Day 1: (North route)
Addison Oaks
Stony Creek
River Bends

Monday, Day 2: (Troy area)
Grizzly Oaks
Firefighters Park
Starr Jaycee Park
Wagner Park

Tuesday, Day 3: (West)
Independance Lake (Red Hawk and Picnic)
Hudson Mills (Monster and Original)

Wednesday, Day 4: (remaining high rated courses last day)
Cass Benton
Kensington Black Locust
Rolling Hills

Any thoughts? Suggestions? I am going to basically play all day each day and am trying to keep the courses each day I play within a close group so I can limit my travel time during the day.

Anyone who would be willing to guide me around would be appreciated on any course.

you might have a tough time getting addison, stoney, and riverbends in one day this time of year. id probably do addison and stoney in one day and save riverbends for later(or not at all). those are 3 of the longer courses in the area and you can have a good day with just those two in a day since it does get dark early this time of year.

day 2 looks pretty doable. those are shorter courses but good ones for what they are.

days 3 and 4 look like they might be tough to get in as well but i dont play those too often so its tough to say.

i could possibly be a guide on a couple of your day 1 and 2 courses but the others im not as familiar with and they are bit of a drive for me. what days of the week are days 1 and 2 going to be?

I used to live there. Firefighters and Kensington are worth hitting up for sure. Unless you are just trying to increase your course count, you might want to skip Wagner and Star JC.

fishmich: Day 1 should be this Sunday, Jan 15th.

jenb: lol you guessed it, I am just trying to blitz as many courses as I can while I am there (to increase my course played count). This is my friend's last semester out there.

kensington then cass then rolling? thatll be a long day... cass and kensington are bout 30 apart then rolling almost an hour... but sounds like a great trip id be free on sunday and on tues till like about 5 or so... but ive never played those courses so wouldnt be much of a guide but would def be there so your not all alone!!

datch: have played many courses alone my first time going to them so it is not a huge deal. I will keep checking the thread til I drive out there on Saturday. I will be on my friend's computer each day after I get back for the day to update.

Anyone out there willing to meet up on a certain day, PM me if you like.

haha well i mean i still need to check em off my list so we can def play... just let me know

fishmich: Day 1 should be this Sunday, Jan 15th.

jenb: lol you guessed it, I am just trying to blitz as many courses as I can while I am there (to increase my course played count). This is my friend's last semester out there.
i might be able to join up for one or possibly two of your sunday courses. which one you planning on hitting first and what time? we are supposed to get an inch or two of snow between now and then but hopefully that will be it. so far it has been a great winter for disc golf around here, maybe it will keep up through the weekend.