• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

DFW disc golf

Is there ANY Metroplex course that isn't mud soup after a rain? I'm going anyway, just bringing a change of clothes cuz I need to get out and fling plastic real hard.

Lake Lewisville Park is a good one when it's muddy too.

So I've been playing 5+ years now. 2014 was my first year of dfw minis and I had a blast. I played in about 20 minis last year. 2015 I'm taking the plunge into the texas tournament scene. I am 41 and will be playing intermediate or equivilant masters depending on the tournament.

I downloaded an ap that shows all the tournaments every month. I plan on trying to play at least one tournament a month starting this month. Could some of you dfw tournament vets recommend the best amateur tournament within a 2-3 hour drive of Dallas. Are A tiers way better then B and C? Just looking for localish stuff this year. I plan on expanding to a few national events in 2016 once I get used to tournaments.

I don't think there is such a thing as the best tournament. As long as they are sanctioned you'll get typical pdga rules, divisions, etc, etc. After that you just pick and choose which courses you want to play at. Since you've played the dfw minis, the tournaments will be very similar except the pace of play will be much, much slower typically. lol...

I did play one tournament last year that has spoiled me forever. (Alex Clark Memorial) They had ctp's on almost every hole, all you can eat pizza, cookies, snacks, drinks for lunch, etc, etc. Just insane how well it was organized. I played horrid but it was the most fun I've ever had at a tournament! :clap:

So I've been playing 5+ years now. 2014 was my first year of dfw minis and I had a blast. I played in about 20 minis last year. 2015 I'm taking the plunge into the texas tournament scene. I am 41 and will be playing intermediate or equivilant masters depending on the tournament.

1/24/15 The Polar Open at Bill Allen Memorial is a great tourney held by the P&R of The Colony. Lindsey does a great job running this. 2 rounds of 21 plus the entry fee is one of the cheapest in all DFW tourneys.

1/31/15 Lewisville Warm-up by DD is always a great tourney. You play Lake Park and LL Woods with change ups to LL to make it more interesting.

2/14/15 Cedar Hill Chill. Another DD tourney and played on great courses. Maybe the only time you get to play Mt Lebanon without having to make arrangements.

4/11/15 Nick Hyde Memorial by Hyzerbomb. This should be a great tourney with lots of touring pros in town. Even if you don't play you want to come hang out and watch these guys throw. If you do play you get to play 2 great courses in Audubon and Harry Meyers.

Also try looking for tourneys on your local courses. The one you play most often. When you play a tourney there you at least will not be throwing them blind and will have some comfort level because you are familiar with the course. Dwayne at SLD throws some great tourneys with little additions that make his tourneys a lot of fun, like the Alex Clark tourney DiscFifty mentioned. DD always puts on good tourneys and has tons of merch. And I expect much more this year and next from Hyzerbomb. Matt is doing good things and bringing some big names to our local area. And he is just a good guy.

Hopefully this helps you to decide on some tourneys. If you do play come say hi. Always nice to meet new people from DGCR.

Happy Throwing.

Darren

Got a chance to play Fritz Park yesterday. I never played the old layout, and I'm not much a review-writer but I'm excited for the changes. I'm about to buy a house about 15 min away from there and even if no other changes are made it is going to be a solid and fun local course. Feels like an 'Audubon-lite' with some good canopy-shaped drives, just enough creek/water pucker factor, plus a mix of bomber holes and no obvious RHBH bias. Anyone here know who is behind the changes? I'd like to see if I can help or contribute to its development, check into work days, etc.

If you haven't played it yet, def worth checking out.

Made the drive to Denton today since a buddy has been working over there. What is the name of the course? I really enjoyed it. Good mix of shots and some really fun bomber holes from pretty decent altitude tees. As it was marked I shot a -2 from the longs but some of those par 4s are prob played as par 3s in tournaments. Wish it was closer to north Dallas would be a good home course.

North Lake Park, it is an okay course, I play everything out there as a 3, even from the longs. It does have some kickass holes (7-9) and once it becomes more wooded (12-18) its really fun. Lake Lewisville Park is a much better course, and when I lived in Denton, it was about the same drive so it made more sense for me to go to Lewisville. have fun and happy throwing.

North Lake Park, it is an okay course, I play everything out there as a 3, even from the longs. It does have some kickass holes (7-9) and once it becomes more wooded (12-18) its really fun. Lake Lewisville Park is a much better course, and when I lived in Denton, it was about the same drive so it made more sense for me to go to Lewisville. have fun and happy throwing.

Thanks. I noticed your from fort worth. Is zboaz worth the drive from north Dallas? On weekends we don't mind driving a little ways to check out courses. I want to check out the cedar hill courses soon as well.

And yes lake Lewisville is great. My regular courses are lake lewisville, porter, greenbelt, and ll woods. When it stays light out longer we usually play the Alex Clark mini pretty regularly.

It's a little drive from Dallas but Z-Boaz is one of the best that the west side of the metroplex has to offer IMO. It's very easy to get to though, right off the highway. I would get there EARLY though, especially with the great weather in store this weekend!

It's a little drive from Dallas but Z-Boaz is one of the best that the west side of the metroplex has to offer IMO. It's very easy to get to though, right off the highway. I would get there EARLY though, especially with the great weather in store this weekend!

I second this. If I'm playing z-boaz I usually play saddle hills for a nice second round.

I need to get back out to some north dallas courses. Most of the big names are gonna be crowded this weekend though.

I second this. If I'm playing z-boaz I usually play saddle hills for a nice second round.

I need to get back out to some north dallas courses. Most of the big names are gonna be crowded this weekend though.

Yea. Play them both.
My buddy from Ft. Worth took us to these two on a Saturday
We got to Z Boaz before it was jammin'.
Do Z Boaz early and end the day at Saddle Hills.

I wish those courses were closer to play more often.

I miss playing Z Boaz. Used to make a drive out there once a month or so. Since I played Lester Lorche though, if I'm making it a day trip, the two courses combined are more worth it to me. Also, since the kids came, Z Boaz definitely isn't stroller friendly. Coyote/Beaver are tough even on my rugged stroller but there aren't any holes with step stones across the water like you have to traverse at Z Boaz.