• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

DG Vocab List - Fun or Catchy Terms

Donovan

Longview Disc Golf Association (TX)
Diamond level trusted reviewer
Premium Member
I would love to hear the list of terms you have heard or came up with that seems to be catching on in your area. Here are 2 I have been using recently. Please post as many as you want. It will be interesting to see what kind of list come out of this.

Dead Man - when your putt hits the side of the basket and falls straight down to the ground. Note: This came from a guy in Fort Worth who is a pretty good player. Didn't get his name though. I had to make the joke of saying, "Dead Man Walking." when his friend was walking toward the basket to pick it up.

Chain Smoking - This is when someone has made 2 great putts in a row. He is considered to be Chain Smoking on Chain Smokin'.

·[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Annie – anhyzer
·[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Bogey Sandwich - A scorecard that reads: 2 4 4 2 for any four consecutive holes for par the hard way.
·[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Bowling – Rolling
·[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Big Fat McNasty - There are numerous uses for this…a stagnant pond, a knotty tree, a gusty wind...
·[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Black Ace- when your first throw goes in the basket of the wrong hole.
·[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Cabbage –The undergrowth off the fairway. (same as "shule", "spinach")
·[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Chastity belt -n. the yellow band on top of the Innova basket
·[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Clank - v. The sickening sound that a putt makes when it hits the yellow chastity belt at the top of an Innova Discatcher doesn't go in. As in "I clanked it"
·[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Coondogging - when your roller hits the trunk of a tree
·[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Dinner's ready- when your putt hits the number plate square and it makes that ding sound. (Same as "doink" and "Hit the nickel")
·[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Doink – A putt that hits the number plate (same as "Dinner's ready" and "Hit the nickel")
·[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Edgie- When the disc dives sharply and sticks into the ground on it's edge (same as "tombstone")
·[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Fly-By: putt correct height, poor aim.
·[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Fluke deuce- a lucky two that you got from a fortunate bounce toward the basket.
·[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Four with a Twist- Taking a circle four, three shots plus an O.B. stroke.
·[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Gaack -v. miss typically a short putt. As in "I gaacked that putt"
·[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Georged - when you fail to "watch out for that tree"
·[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Grenade- any shot that is high and fall fast straight down to the ground
·[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Handful- 5 strokes on a hole.
·[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Head Banger - when your drive lands under the basket and you might bang you head on the basket as you pick it up.
·[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Hit the nickel - when your putt hits the number plate square and it makes that ding sound. (Same as "Dinner's ready" and "Doink")
·[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Hockey stick- seven throws on one hole.
·[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Homeboy route- a shot with good results through a narrow opening in trees.
·[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Horking -adj. a monstrous throw. As in "horking hyzer".
·[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]"I believe you're away" - said to a friend who hits the tree five feet in front of the tee
·[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Jekyll and Hyde round – one nine is great and the other nine is a monster.
·[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Knife shot - vertical hyzer
·[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Locals route: taking a not recommended line that somehow gets you to the basket.
·[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Lumberjacking - when you're hitting nothing but trees.
·[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Makin' Minis: when one disc lands on another (it looks like the discs are humping.)
·[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Mirkwood forest- that place in the woods where, if you throw there, you can never get your disc back.
·[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Mullet-n.- A pro that doesn't cash, so he pays his entry fees to others. It refers to being in the "feeder pool" or being "bait fish". Synonyms: donor, sucker, shark bait. As in "Don't be a mullet!"
·[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]To "nice" someone – v. As in "You niced me". An apparently nice shot that everyone comments on...NICE SHOT...while it's still in flight. But then suddenly hits something no one expected.
·[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Nickel – getting 5 on a hole
·[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Noodlearm - Player with no "D".
·[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Nuclear shule – extremely bad rough.
·[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Pachinko, Pin Ball - hitting several trees
·[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Paper plate (n) 1. an extremely understable disc; 2. commonly a lighter weight, beat-up disc
·[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Pig-Putt –n. a putt that's weak! weak! weak! (best results when spoken with an inhale).
·[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Pinball – a shot that hits several trees.
·[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Pinball Wizard – after someone's shot hits multiple trees.
·[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Pringled - when you smack the disc hard into a tree
·[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Rooted - when the tree root stops your skip shot
·[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Sally/(sallied) v. - when your drive/putt comes up way short
·[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Saturn - a score of 6 (6th planet) with "rings" (OB circle(s))
·[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Secret Squirrel- a shot that SOMEHOW goes through the biggest bunch of shule and emerges on the same line it entered and ends up parked!
·[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Seeing eye disc- a shot that miraculously makes it through a thick set of trees.
·[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Shank- any shot that does not do what you wanted.
·[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Shule - heavy undergrowth off the fairway (same as "cabbage", "spinach").
·[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Skittle (also skibble). The action of a disc grinding a long way on the dirt/ground on the way to the pin. Usually shouted as a command for the disc to travel farther on the ground (for example, "SKITTLE!)
·[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Sneak- in flight instruction to the disc to avoid anything with leaves and/or bark
·[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Snob – a throw with the nose of the disc up
·[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Snowman - a natural score of 8
·[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Snowangel - a score of 8 with a "halo" (OB circle(s))
·[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Spinach – bushes, trees, and undergrowth. As in "That's in the spinach." (same as "cabbage", "shule").
·[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Squirrel killer - a roller shot that runs up the trunk of a tree (same as "coondogging").
·[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Taco - v. To smash a disc into a tree so that it folds like a taco. A saying that goes with this is "Need some sauce for that taco?"
·[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]"That wasn't there last time I played this hole" and "Was that there when I teed off?"- said when hitting some long time obvious obstacle like a tree off the tee.
·[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Tombstone- a disc that impales the ground, and remains standing on edge, usually stuck in the wet ground/mud a few inches. (same as "Edgie")
·[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Tournament Roll - When your disc hits the basket and rolls farther away than your original shot
·[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Treeflection - the tree gives good kick
·[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Treejection - the tree gives bad kick
·[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Treejectory - when your redirected by the branch
·[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Tree-mendous - when your errant shot finds wood and bounces in an auspicious way
·[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Valet service - When you park your drive under the basket

Acronyms

·[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]BOB - Back of the Box. Last to throw
·[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]CFR - Candy Fund Raiser. Special Innova candy plastic discs to raise funds.
·[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]CTP - Closest to the Pole
·[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]DL- Dead Last (sanitized version of DFL)
·[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]FAT - First Available Tree
·[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]HBBD - Home Boy Bag Drop - A place to leave your disc bag when you have to a long walk to the tee and will be coming back to the same area after your throw. The home players of a course know this spot and put their bags down, but new players carry their bag to the tee and back.
·[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]LB - Lucky Bounce. When your disc bounces off a tree in such a way that it helps you.
·[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]MAC - Mid Air Correction. Caused by hitting a tree. It's usually bad, but sometimes good.
·[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]NPR - No Putt Required
·[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]PDS - Poor Disc Selection
·[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]PGA - Pretty Good Approach
·[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]SED - Seeing Eye Disc. A shot that sneaks its way through the trees in a remarkable way.
·[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]YSA - You're Still Away

Olorin,
Those are great, where did you get that list from?

Anybody else have any?

Orlin,
Where and how did you come up with so many crazy terms? Nice work, I like them all. I mean how often can you use black ace? Has that ever happened?

Plinko - a disc falling from a tree

what an awesome thred!

Thank you treesus. (when it helps)
And
Tree-nied. (when they don't)

we will have to add ours to Orlin's monster list in the end.

Gust from the Gods - when the wind completely changed the shot (sometimes good and sometimes really bad)

Going South - when your disc starts diving down into a drop off, like a creek or gorge instead of making it across as in "You're going South."

Grab Your Fins - said after someone just sent their disc swimming ('snorkel' also used)

Gettin' Greasy...... sneakin through the trees.
HittaHouse.... when youre off line and you WANT your disc to smash a tree

Awesome. This list should be on the recommended reading list for all new players.

Last edited:
I read a new one today-
LAMs- Long Armed Mutants

We came up with another one for when your disc hits a tree root that is sticking out of the ground. You were 'Up-Rooted!'

ive seen it twice, one was alright, the other was kinda bad, but both somewhat funny, moments I wish i had a video camera for, the best part is that it happend both times to the same person, :)

I don't know about the head, but I have been hit in the back of the hand by someones tee-off. Getting hit by a drive at 5 ft is no fun at all.

ive seen it twice, one was alright, the other was kinda bad, but both somewhat funny, moments I wish i had a video camera for, the best part is that it happend both times to the same person, :)

Here is a picture of the guy who got hit. ;)

bighead1.jpg

Latest posts