• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

DG Vocab List - Fun or Catchy Terms

layout seems less pretentious to me for some reason

pet peeve: when people use layout to mean a single hole not the entire course. it sounds ridiculous

I definitely prefer "layout". But Fairfield has a unique setup where the gold and white layouts are only half on the same fairways, so maybe "track" is a better word for this uncommon scenario?

Gold track and White track... "I played Fairfield but only had time for the White track"...

Gah, that would take some getting used to. :gross: But if you endorse it, I'll learn to love it.

Well, dang. I really came here a couple days ago to post a term I heard. It was "window shopping". The act of looking for a small window in the thicket to launch a recovery shot through. Usually involves stretching out with the forehand, backhand, patent pending and then the dreaded look, up. I had not heard it before. There's always a window, right?

Well, dang. I really came here a couple days ago to post a term I heard. It was "window shopping". The act of looking for a small window in the thicket to launch a recovery shot through. Usually involves stretching out with the forehand, backhand, patent pending and then the dreaded look, up. I had not heard it before. There's always a window, right?

Good one! I know the feeling well

I definitely prefer "layout". But Fairfield has a unique setup where the gold and white layouts are only half on the same fairways, so maybe "track" is a better word for this uncommon scenario?

Think I agree. When hear "layout," it makes me
think of a specific combination of tees and pin positions.

So courses with 3 tees + 3 pin placements (can't help but think of Pittsburgh), provide a plethora of layouts when you mix and match different combos of:
Long tee to Pin B
Short tee to Pin C
Mid tee to Pin C

Each hole has nine different configurations, with each config sharing a significant portion of the same fairway.

To me, a layout constitutes a specific combo of hole configs that a TD could use for an event.

But in the case of Fairfield, "track" seems to better convey the thought that gold and white share some fairways, while some holes on either course are completely separate from the other course.

You're right, Fairfield is a unique beast.

Last edited:
If you look at Finnish course names, many end in "rata" which more directly translates to "track" in English. Same with "bana" in Swedish and "bane" in Norwegian. I suspect their use of "track" helps differentiate between the dual meanings for "course" in English which is both a class in school and a place where golf is played.

Is this a known fact that Finns say "disc golf track", or where are you getting this?

Thank you for your concern, and a nice semantics curve, but I think if you asked 100 Finnish disc golfers to say "frisbeegolfrata" in English, a whopping 90 would choose "course" and not track, unless their command of English was so poor that they would have to directly translate from Finnish.

Also, where even a sliver of context is offered you would never really mix up a disc golf course and a disc golf course. ("Hey you wanna go try out that new disc golf course they just built in Talma?" vs. "Hey you wanna participate in the disc golf course the local club is having on Saturday morning?")

Finns are so proficient in English it'll make your head spin.

Is this a known fact that Finns say "disc golf track", or where are you getting this?

Thank you for your concern, and a nice semantics curve, but I think if you asked 100 Finnish disc golfers to say "frisbeegolfrata" in English, a whopping 90 would choose "course" and not track, unless their command of English was so poor that they would have to directly translate from Finnish.

Also, where even a sliver of context is offered you would never really mix up a disc golf course and a disc golf course. ("Hey you wanna go try out that new disc golf course they just built in Talma?" vs. "Hey you wanna participate in the disc golf course the local club is having on Saturday morning?")

The words people say or think may be different than the translation or interpretation of those words in writing. My comment regarding Scandinavian languages is they include words or suffixes that could have multiple translations for disc golf facilities that include "track" or "path" as listed options along with "course". There's no assumption on my part as to which word was preferred or more commonly used among disc golfers in that country. The discussion here was simply the origin of "track" being used in place of "course" and whether it's a useful or confusing alternative word.

If you run the Finnish Rule Book through Google Translate, you get this:

800 Game description
In Frisbee Golf, the aim is to run the course from start to finish with as little as possible by the amount thrown. The track usually has 9 or 18 lanes, each of which calculates a score separately. Each lane of the track starts from the road area and ends at the fairway finish, i.e. to the basket. After the opening throw, players continue where the previous throw stopped. After playing the end of the fairway, players move to the next fairway team area and play bus. This will continue until all lanes on the track have been played.

Frisbee golf courses are usually designed for varied wooded terrain, which natural obstacles limit the flight paths of the discs. Natural barriers are essential part of the game and players are not allowed to change them for ease under any circumstances bus gaming. Players must play the course as it is and continue where the previous throw stopped, unless otherwise provided in these rules.

Whenceforth "bus"?

I may be misremembering, but didn't Billy Crump use track heavily in the Clash videos? Thinking about the Stan McDaniel love fest that is his commentary on Clash Renny Gold.

If you run the Finnish Rule Book through Google Translate, you get this:

Whenceforth "bus"?

No idea. The word at that location is "väylän". Translate works in mysterious ways. "Team area" seems to come from "tiialue" (i.e. tee area). If you want team area it would need to say "tiimialue". Looks like it is using a mixture of tools and some rough guesstimation if running into unknowns.

Teeing off 'Colorado' - didn't hear this on a recent trip there but from someone when I came back to Texas. I also recall hearing it in upstate South Carolina a few times about a decade ago at the usual 'safety meeting' holes but thought it was just that player's made-up adjective.

Since it's not exactly general chat friendly, we'll just say a Colorado tee off is when a player takes a drag of his 'cigarette', throws his tee shot but isn't allowed to exhale until the disc comes to a complete stop.

I've heard a different regional term for that, I imagine there's a lot.