• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

DG Vocab List - Fun or Catchy Terms

More and more, I hear people calling disc golf courses "tracks". Does anyone know what's the deal with that? Is it a regional thing? I never encountered it before this year, that I can remember. :confused:

My arms are all scarred up with track marks from slamming disc golf speedballs.

Like that? :| :| :|

Or, more...

Damn, yo, that course was rough...yeah, it's def wrong side tracks....

Or, even...

Disc Golf Tracks & Field Events including frisbee discus!

More like this:

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/reviews.php?id=11957&page=1&sort=date_desc&mode=rev#86339

I think Nate Perkins or Brian Earhart consistently say it on Gatekeeper Media as well.

Pretty sure it's not tracts. :)

I have used the term and always meant tract in my head. Not that it means much, but I am not convince it means less than Humphries or Earhart.

tract noun (1)
Save Word
To save this word, you'll need to log in.

\ ˈtrakt \
Definition of tract (Entry 1 of 3)
1a: a system of body parts or organs that act together to perform some function
the digestive tract
b: a bundle of nerve fibers having a common origin, termination, and function
2: an area either large or small: such as
a: an indefinite stretch of land
b: a defined area of land

3: extent or lapse of time

I've heard people refer to (traditional) golf courses as tracks my entire life.

I haven't heard that for ball golf either, that's new to me. Must be a regional thing.

To be fair, I haven't heard people call anything a tract ever, except for the King trying to convince his son to marry the beautiful and rich Princess Lucky of course.

More and more, I hear people calling disc golf courses "tracks". Does anyone know what's the deal with that? Is it a regional thing? I never encountered it before this year, that I can remember. :confused:
If you look at Finnish course names, many end in "rata" which more directly translates to "track" in English. Same with "bana" in Swedish and "bane" in Norwegian. I suspect their use of "track" helps differentiate between the dual meanings for "course" in English which is both a class in school and a place where golf is played.

I haven't heard that for ball golf either, that's new to me. Must be a regional thing.

To be fair, I haven't heard people call anything a tract ever, except for the King trying to convince his son to marry the beautiful and rich Princess Lucky of course.

I haven't watched PGA coverage in a long time, but they used to say it all the time. And they'd interview Jack Nicklaus and he'd say such and such course is a beautiful track. Etc, etc, etc.

I don't think I've ever heard anyone say it in person to me.

This source seems to indicate I am wrong.

Is It 'Track' or 'Tract'?
You'll sometimes see "tract" used in this same way. The word "tract" refers to a large area of land, or even a geographic region. A golf course certainly qualifies as a "tract of land."

But "track" is the correct term when we are talking about this usage by golfers. Why track? Think of the way the golf course is routed through the land the same way you'd think about a Formula One race track. It's the path the golfers follow to get from the No. 1 tee box to the No. 18 green.

As for how golfers use track in this way, here are a few usage examples:

"That's a tough track."
"Pebble Beach is a great track."
"Whoever put this track together knew what they were doing."
"This track was built on a really nice tract of land."

https://www.liveabout.com/track-golf-definition-1561021#:~:text=The%20word%20%22tract%22%20refers%20to,about%20this%20usage%20by%20golfers.

Now you're just being intractable.

I just didn't understand why I hadn't heard the term in nearly 20 years of playing, and now I hear it constantly.

It's those damn stick golfers coming in!!!! :p

I just didn't understand why I hadn't heard the term in nearly 20 years of playing, and now I hear it constantly.

It's those damn stick golfers coming in!!!! :p
In your neighborhood, the Fairfield course has the Gold track and White track of which almost half of the holes follow separate fairways.

In your neighborhood, the Fairfield course has the Gold track and White track of which almost half of the holes follow separate fairways.

tenor.gif

Well, yeah, you can say that NOW. But where was that in 2014? Nowhere, that's where!

Two unique layouts designed for all skill levels. The shorter layout is called Fairfield White while the long layout is called Squaw Creek Gold. Terrain varies from open prairie to heavily wooded with some water in play. Out of bounds areas marked clearly even when water has dried up. This course is a nice hike and Goretex shoes are recommended.

The WHITE layout is designed for recreational and intermediate level players while the GOLD layout is designed for advanced and professional players. Some holes are shared between the layouts and have either 2 sets of concrete tee pads or 2 baskets on the hole. Both layouts are playable at all times. There are 24 different holes on the property.

For a Chicago Suburban course there is a variety of wildlife which include birds, deer, turtles, fish, and more. Goretex shoes recommended. Under growth is not very thick so looking for discs is not impossible.

Check both kiosks for carry along maps. The course is clearly marked and there are next tee signs on every hole. Several navigation signs in tricky spots as well.

Memes really can express specific emotions better than almost anything else in this world. And this nails it! :clap:
I definitely prefer "layout". But Fairfield has a unique setup where the gold and white layouts are only half on the same fairways, so maybe "track" is a better word for this uncommon scenario?

Latest posts