• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

DGCR Mobile

I'm not a programmer, so this may be way harder than it sounds, but I would think some little self-contained executable that basically lets you search through a database. The database file could then be updated as needed. I know the more I type the more it seems like a pipe-dream. Oh well...

I'm not a programmer, so this may be way harder than it sounds, but I would think some little self-contained executable that basically lets you search through a database. The database file could then be updated as needed. I know the more I type the more it seems like a pipe-dream. Oh well...

Same here. Even a CSV file. I would think any spreadsheet program could open that and hopefully any of those programs across all the PDA's out there would have a find'search function to find the course you're looking for or the ability to sort by ZIP, State, etc.

Another thought for the mobile functionality wishlist (dream list?): The scorebook function on an easy and clean interface would be sweet!

I would record my scores if I could very easily and quickly do it as I went (I never have the time or interest in doing the data entry when I am home in front of a PC).

Another thought for the mobile functionality wishlist (dream list?): The scorebook function on an easy and clean interface would be sweet!

I would record my scores if I could very easily and quickly do it as I went (I never have the time or interest in doing the data entry when I am home in front of a PC).
It's something I'd like to do but if/when it gets done I think it will still require you to come to the site to "approve" the scorecard and fill in the missing details (tee played, etc.) and then you could officially submit it to your scorebook. There is a ton of javascript involved with the scorebook and I'm guessing a lot of phones might not like that so a basic mobile scorecard with no frills would be good to just get the important details.

Cool! You could pull the weather conditions real time from weather.com (and the time/date) and autopopulate if you knew the scores were being updated by the real-time. :)

Cool! You could pull the weather conditions real time from weather.com (and the time/date) and autopopulate

That's a really slick idea. You know the course zip code + date/time entered into the scorebook... even if you're not entering scores real-time you still fill in the date/time later, it'd be slick if the weather conditions auto-populated (with the option to override them if need be).

I think you guys might think I'm smarter than I actually am :)

Well you are smarter than you actually are.

So there. :)

Lately, I have been using just the regular scorebook page on my iPhone while I play. The iPhone works well with the javascript and I can fill in the entire form from my phone. It is really nice to be able to submit my score and putts immediately and not have to go back and re-enter information somewhere else. There is only one catch:

When I click on a text box, it brings up the regular keyboard. I have to hit the "1,2,3" button to bring up numbers and then click my score. I do this twice for each hole (score and putts). This isn't at HUGE deal, but I have been on some forms online where the text box automatically brings up numbers.

I am not sure if there is a way to specify a text box to make it number only (and then, I am not sure how the iPhone would read it). If I can find a website that does have one of these text boxes, I will write it down and post it here so Tim can view source and see what they did.

Just a little suggestion to make the current scorebook page more iPhone friendly with little (hopefully) work.

I bought an Iphone last night. Can't wait to get out next spring and play with it while I'm on the road. It'd be nice to be able to input scores directly to DGCR using the mobile site, too.

Greg,

We still need to get out and play a round. I have been out with adaven and terryc.

Disc golfers unit

Greg,

We still need to get out and play a round. I have been out with adaven and terryc.

Disc golfers unit

Is it drying up out there? I'd be up for something this weekend if it doesn't rain anymore.

EDIT: oops, I'll send a PM instead of thread-jacking this thread.

I bought an Iphone last night. Can't wait to get out next spring and play with it while I'm on the road. It'd be nice to be able to input scores directly to DGCR using the mobile site, too.

I agree, I love the mobile site and have used it a bunch, but I would really like to be able to mark courses played and put in scores while out playing courses.

I agree, I love the mobile site and have used it a bunch, but I would really like to be able to mark courses played and put in scores while out playing courses.
I'm not sure how that works with phones. I'm not cool enough to have a phone with web access :( I know iphone's have a full featured browser but I'm not sure about more basic phones so I tried to keep it as simple as possible (ie. nothing that requires logins).

I'm not sure how that works with phones. I'm not cool enough to have a phone with web access :( I know iphone's have a full featured browser but I'm not sure about more basic phones so I tried to keep it as simple as possible (ie. nothing that requires logins).

Definitely not a complaint, I appreciate all the awesome things you've done here, just a thought for the future. Either way the mobile version has been really helpful, thanks Tim!

I've read most of this thread so I hope I'm not bringing something up which was previously discussed.

I hate that I can't put in a city and state and get the closest courses. Of course it works fine if you're in a town which has a course but you have to know the ZIP code if you want the closest out-of-town courses.

I'm on Windows Mobile 6.0 runing IE but I can't imagine this is unique to my browser.

That said, I love the mobile site.

You can click the "Find a zip code" link on the mobile site to get the zip code of the town you're interested in from the USPS. It's more efficient that way since I don't have a db to match towns to lat/lons or zips and even if I did I'd imagine most of the smaller towns wouldn't be in there.

I've finally put together a little something for all you PDA/mobile phone people out there. The course directory is now available in a mobile format for easier viewing on what I hope is any device with a small screen.

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/mobile

It's not as feature packed as the actual web course directory but I've included all the info I felt was important to have on the road and the search options are also scaled down but the important stuff is there.

Check it out and let me know what you think.

This is FANTASTIC, I just started going different places and just the ability to see some of the stuff I read before leaving is a great bit of help. Especially the simple directions and stuff. Like I went to Basil and Baker the first time within a week of eachother...a month later I was like "wait...which one do I get on to 390 for???"

Bookmarked on my Verizon BlackBerry Storm. Love it.

That's a good idea. I'll have to add that although a lot of course maps are PDFs or really large JPGs.. would those even work on a lot of phones?

Mine will.

And at least on iPhone, JPG images can be saved to the photo library as well.

Might be a nice project for us members, creating mobile-friendly map .jpg images for courses…

That would be FANTASTIC. I never though I'd like course maps...then I wen to Parma...FANTASTIC COURSE..but without a map your first play is going to be whacked out and you still probably won't play it right..

Added a files page to the mobile directory.

I'll try this out when I'm bored at work tonight.

Great idea! Sucks when you are in a new area and have to find a public library to get access to where some local courses are. Much easier now!

I never went that far, but that's because I was in my home region or had somebody near a home computer to call..

Check this quickie map on your mobile browser. Looks great on iPhone, and sized to fit the Photos app perfectly: http://bit.ly/67YRI - obviously view in landscape mode :)

I bumped up the sizes to make it as readable as possible without zooming. Let me know how it looks and if all makes sense at first glance.

Curious how it looks on other phones.

BlackBerry Storm: Worked PERFECT. I actually just emailed myself the link so I could just open it in my browser. No problems.

Aha. Yeah the image I uploaded is quite large (so it can be zoomed in and not lose quality) but maybe it's too large. I will have to play with the size, I think I exported it at 3x or 4x the size of the max iPhone screen size. Maybe a 2x would suffice.

On iPhone the images auto-resize to fit the browser window, and form there you can zoom in/out as you please. Good to know about the Opera behavior.

BlackBerry behaves just like your iPone in this regard :)

Thank you so much Tim!

\/\/

You can click the "Find a zip code" link on the mobile site to get the zip code of the town you're interested in from the USPS. It's more efficient that way since I don't have a db to match towns to lat/lons or zips and even if I did I'd imagine most of the smaller towns wouldn't be in there.

Hey lookie there! Thanks Tim. Can you tell me where my keys are too? :p

But seriously, I'm sorry I didn't see that and appreciate your fixing my brain.