• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

DGCR Player Rating vs. reality

I'm sorry, I was half asleep when I posted above. I see what you're saying New.

Record for an official rating is 1132 by Paul McBeth.

Low is...who knows. Probably in the 500's.

I knew of a player with a PDGA rating of 445. Presumably someone could have such a rating with DGCR, if he dared to enter scores.

At a non-sanctioned event at Stoney Hill, two people shot scores that, if they'd been shot in the sanctioned tournament a week before and if points-per-stroke was linear (which I assume it's not), I figured would have been a rating of 8.

In the wide spectrum of disc golfers, "who knows" is a fine estimate.

All right David, you have to share a little more. How does one shoot an 8?

LOL - Dare I laugh? 8? I was behind a guy Friday that took seriously over 12 throws just to get to the 170f basket but it was his first day.

I just finished field work and my wife had some bombs at 70 feet. Her best yet. I had my record length with a disc I considered too heavy for me 174g Patriot.

I only have 5 rounds under my lifetime belt and am sitting at 733 but there is a 675 in wind that sort of hurts.

an 8 is still better than the guy who shot in the negatives

I went back and looked through my old rounds. 9 hole courses score out differently for some reason... they did get in to explaining it somewhere around here but I can't say I care that much about it to sit through the statistician orgy of numbers that was bouncing around... But, I digress....

Looking through my old rounds, I've got quite a few that are sub 500, a few in the 200s.

Currently my average overall is rising, 597 at the moment. I'm not really playing any better, but I moved recently and my home course is now an 18 holer, which gives higher round rating scores my suckage in comparison to the same type of round at the 9 hole course.

At some point, you know when you're scoring double digits on one hole that your play that round sucks. Only the true gluttons for punishment are going to line up to see that on screen afterwards.
And most of those will run for cover if Tim publishes a chart, putting a big spotlight on the vortex of suckage.

Go throw, have fun, the rest of this is just for laughs.

I've started recording rounds in my scorebook. DGCR rated my 48 at my home course a 1037, no way. I tried to change the prefilled in distances and par for the holes. For example, hole #2 at Meeman Shelby Forest East that I played was in the short position, 380'. Even though DGCR over road my correction and calculated the hole as position C, 527' and called it a par 4 so my round recorded -7 instead of -6. Also, I play the West a lot and shot a personal low -11 but since the course doesn't have any entered distances (didn't take the ones I entered) I get no DGCR rating whenever I enter a round for that course. For the record I'm probably 970 with my highest PDGA rated rounds last year at 1015 & 1019 this year. Its a good score tracker but that's about it as many courses around here don't have distances uploaded and tee and pin locations are subject to change randomly.

You have to manually input the correct distances when you enter your scorecard. I'm not exactly sure how all of that works, Timg could answer that better. I believe it uses the course distance you put on your scorecard.

If the courses in your area don't have distances listed then list them.

At a non-sanctioned event at Stoney Hill, two people shot scores that, if they'd been shot in the sanctioned tournament a week before and if points-per-stroke was linear (which I assume it's not), I figured would have been a rating of 8.

The PDGA rating-increment-per-throw is indeed linear, and dependent only on the SSA for the round/event. I have those formulas posted in a few threads, if you want to look at them. Note: I'm not necessarily saying that the rating-increment-per-throw *should* be linear.. I have a post about that particular issue with the PDGA rating system around here too.

Getting a round rating of ~10 would be quite a feat, though. ;) That's like shooting a +95 round or so. :p

Lol, yea you are the kind of person who would think the only thing that matters is what you do in a PDGA sanctioned tournament.

What about people who don't give a **** about the PDGA and tournaments? What about the people who only play casual rounds?

Who died and made the PDGA the king of all things competitive disc golf? Do you realize how many unsanctioned leagues and tournaments are going on? Do you realize that there are more local competitions happening on a weekly basis than anything sanctioned by the PDGA?

Are you saying those groups and people shouldn't have a system at their disposal to use in the same manner that the PDGA uses player ratings?

Yea you are saying those things and that's why I rarely agree with anything you say.

You sound like a whiny teenager.

Let's use some grown-up logic:

If they "don't give a **** about the PDGA and tournaments" then why would they care about a rating...for anything other than entertainment purposes? (Logic 1, New 0)

We disc golfers made the PDGA "king of all thing competitive"...it's exactly what they are, the standardization by which we govern and execute the game. Unsanctioned leagues (I play in one, betcha didn't know) mostly or completely abide by PDGA rules...so...
(Logic 2, New 0)

You struck out asking a leading question which has nothing to do with my previous post.
(Logic gets the K, next batter)

ummmmm - that is the whole point for DGCR Player Ratings isn't it? They are not used for anything are they?

Glad you don't ball golf!

I actually grew up golfing. I love the game and follow the major tournaments on TV when I can. It's the whole reason I enjoyed disc golf at first throw was because of the mental game similarities between Golf and Disc Golf.

Which is why DGCR Player Ratings are just an estimate and is only for people to compare how THEY are doing.

Which sounds like you're agreeing with me...so...yeah.

I think the DGCR ratings are more accurate than my PDGA rating. Mostly because I have way more rounds recorded on here than rounds with the PDGA. I've been steadily improving over the last two years, and I think my DGCR rating really reflects my current level of play, where my PDGA rating is still a good 50 points short.

So, I dig the DGCR ratings for sure. I think it's very handy.

All right David, you have to share a little more. How does one shoot an 8?

Start with the fact that Stoney Hill is a pretty challenging course, with no short tees and lots of O.B. It's no place for beginners.

A week before our tournament a few years ago, the Deaf Disc Golfers held their South Carolina tournament here. It's sort of a tournament/convention, as almost everyone involved camped out on the course (probably 40-50 people).

There are some pretty good, Advanced-level players among them whom I've played with at other times, in and out of tournaments. But some must be rank beginners, or very casual players. I didn't watch it, but.....

Two players each shot rounds of 162 on the then 20-hole layout. Yeah, that's an average of over 8 shots per hole, or something like 40' per shot for the length of the course (obviously driving more than 40', since several putts were involved). Or, I think it was, 104 strokes over par.

The next week we had our regular sanctioned tournament. I can't remember the figures but I looked at the SSA we produced, the points-per-stroke, and worked backwards to something like an 8. (For example, if a score of 63 was rated 998 and it was 10 points per stroke, those 99 extra strokes would be 990 points off).

So the lesson is, the bottom to the ratings is very low if the right people bother to use them. (The "445" rated player I cited had just turned 5-years-old, but was a PDGA member having just played his first sanctioned event).

Lulz. A 5 year old? No wonder.

I'm trying to wrap my head around an able bodied man throwing for 40' average distance. It's also hard for me to imagine scoring so high, since all the courses I play are open. My worst score on a single hole, ever, is a 7. And that was because I went OB twice. :doh:

Stoney Hill is the type of course I'd love to try, to see where my skills really are.

One of the two "8-rated rounds" was an able-bodied man. The other was a woman. Kinda' funny that they could throw that many throws, and end up tied.

350' average hole length. Give yourself 3 putts and 1 O.B. stroke, now you're throwing about 90' per throw to average an 8. I can't imagine how their really bad holes went.

But at least they had fun.

Anyway, they and the 5-year-old are just illustrative of the fact that, if you're wondering how low a rating can go, it's probably pretty low.

If you're thinking more mainstream---an at least fairly healthy male, between ages of 15-60, who's played at least a half-dozen rounds---the lowest conceivable rating is much higher.

If they "don't give a **** about the PDGA and tournaments" then why would they care about a rating...for anything other than entertainment purposes? (Logic 1, New 0)

We disc golfers made the PDGA "king of all thing competitive"...it's exactly what they are, the standardization by which we govern and execute the game. Unsanctioned leagues (I play in one, betcha didn't know) mostly or completely abide by PDGA rules...so...
(Logic 2, New 0)

You struck out asking a leading question which has nothing to do with my previous post.
(Logic gets the K, next batter)

1 - i already pointed ou how dgcr ratings could be used for more than entertainment purposes, you just overlook what you disagree with. you can use your rating to track your progress, you can use your rating to compare yourself to your friends who play on similar courses, local clubs could use the system to set up a ratings system for league events.. etc. none of those are for entertainment purposes and i already pointed that out.

2 - who is we? the pdga did not invent the rules of disc golf. you can not say that because any competitive round of disc golf follows the basic rules of disc golf they are getting those cues from the pdga. also where is your proof that most clubs follow pdga rules? i'd like to see your actual facts and not just what you think. oh that's right as usual you're short on facts big on calling people names who don't agree with you.

3 - everything is relevant, even how wrong you were about the copter cam

My DGCR rating is my reality.

pdga 990 (29274, not current this year)
dgcr 1011

My rating is probably somewhere in between. Most of my dgcr rated rounds are from league, monthlies, pdga or other structured rounds. However, some of the pdga and dgcr course ratings have been different

Latest posts