• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

DGN: The Disc Golf Network

Thanks. That helps me understand the criticism they are getting here. I don't think they should delete critical comments from paying subscribers either (unless they are truly inappropriate or profane).

Obviously everyone has a different opinion. I am a subscriber, and I'm pretty happy with their coverage. It has improved since last year. I get the reluctance to pay for it but for me, the $5/month for DGN is worth it.

From what I understand they also disabled the live chat when viewers were complaining about the poor coverage.

Now I get if someone doesn't like watching live disc golf period. Cool. I know a lot of people watch live MMA events. I never have, so even if free, I wouldn't do it, just not interested. But...I don't go on MMA sites and complain about the cost. Pay for it or don't.

The alternative is just no coverage. No one is becoming a millionaire covering disc golf tournaments at this point. I am glad to have whatever options we do have.
When live dg was free, I would usually only watch if there was no post production, and it was an event I cared about. Most of the DGPT events I don't care for the courses. Idlewild, Maple Hill, and GMC are really the only 3 I want to watch.

The alternative is the previous model with free post production or even paid post production. DGPT is the one that decided to change the model to live paywall. I won't pay for live dg until it gets much closer to the level of ball golf on TV where the action never stops.

If you want to see Idlewild and how the pros play it it's better on video. There's not much room for a gallery on a lot of the holes.

That would be the only driving force to get me to want to watch live disc golf. If I knew a shorter, edited version was going to come out I'd wait for that.

Now I get if someone doesn't like watching live disc golf period. Cool. I know a lot of people watch live MMA events. I never have, so even if free, I wouldn't do it, just not interested. But...I don't go on MMA sites and complain about the cost. Pay for it or don't.

I guarantee you that if they cut away from an actual live fight, to show the women in the next fight warming up in the locker room and going over rules, subscribers of MMA would absolutely be going on MMA sites and complaining.

The alternative is the previous model with free post production or even paid post production. DGPT is the one that decided to change the model to live paywall. I won't pay for live dg until it gets much closer to the level of ball golf on TV where the action never stops.

they weren't the first to paywall live, that was forever ago. It's also not a sustainable model to not crowdsource the broadcasting (or the post production, if we're being real. Jomez would not be on the road with their crew if not for crowdsourcing - the question is voluntary vs required which is a different discussion imo)

I will say that DGPT production team was pretty vocal about how they were at the limit of what they could do in terms of live production without significant further investment, which is when they paywalled it last year. The quality improved significantly, imo, once they were able to do that. I know they have further invested in their infrastructure for broadcasting this year.

We're still not really at a point where people can quit their day jobs in order to do these broadcasts. I'm not making excuses, but just like my disc golf game if I can't dedicate as much time as I really need to improve due to my normal job, it's just realistically not happening.

When live dg was free, I would usually only watch if there was no post production, and it was an event I cared about. Most of the DGPT events I don't care for the courses. Idlewild, Maple Hill, and GMC are really the only 3 I want to watch.

Courses don't really concern me, it's the players competing among themselves that interests me. I still don't watch all of it unfold live, I typically wait an hour or more before starting so I can skip over the slow bits. Plus the 24/7 on demand for post is great. What sold me on $5.00 a month for the DGN subscription was the realization that Covid was causing me to consider a new movie rental for $20.00 for 2 hours of entertainment. It's basically a no brainer at that point.

I find it 'interesting' that a group who shells out $30+ for some special edition disc complains so much about 3 days of coverage for $4 or $8, when that actually gets you multiple tournaments most months. I mean its like fifty cents or less a round considering a typical month.

If we are so poor how do we (they) pay for the gas to even drive to the courses, much less all this expensive plastic that usually ends up in a pond...:)

The alternative is just no coverage. No one is becoming a millionaire covering disc golf tournaments at this point. I am glad to have whatever options we do have.

i don't think many here have any qualm with the cost. The discussion is about personal value. Most have said they would rather spend the weekend playing or engaging in other activities. I also do not think many here have zero interest in watching disc golf (as per your MMA analogy), they justify the cost vs forgone options. I think poor courses, lack of pro game translating to their game and time cost are likely the biggest barriers to the current model of live disc golf.

If you haven't watched recently, it might be closer than you think. They covered four cards during the live view (two MPO and two FPO). Not every shot, but they would usually move to a card where something was happening when another group was walking. There was a lot less dead time than when I first watched live DG coverage (maybe two years ago for me).

I like live disc golf. Once you've tasted the 'magic' of live, there's no going back to post produced. The drama and excitement is only there when you don't already know the result and can watch it unfold in real-time. Post produced just can't do this, for me. If it can for you, great. But not for me. Watching McBeth make, and Calvin miss on the final hole this weekend just could never be replicated in post.

Did you all catch the announcement today on all of the broadcast additions?
https://www.instagram.com/p/CLo8ReXlBMO/?utm_source=ig_web_button_share_sheet

T-Dog and Jamie both onsite at Vegas. Will one take MPO and the other take FPO? I think this will help a lot to keep the viewer up to date especially with FPO since they (I think?) still tee off after MPO?

Last edited:
Personally I am not interested in who is winning and how in disc golf. I watch it for the same reason I play. To see/make discs fly. I love the flight of a disc, even more when it's out of my hand but it doesn't have to be my throw for me to thoroughly enjoy the flight.

So post production works for me if I am to watch. I haven't watched anything this year.

Alright, so I went ahead and paid my $5 to see what this was all about for All-Star weekend and my takeaways are:
Live coverage was pretty good, some buffering issues but no big deal to me. They did a pretty good job of shuffling between cards, but not enough in my opinion (I don't think they should focus solely on the lead card).
There were a few things that bothered me, primarily that I actually have to watch it live. I cannot fathom why there is no way to watch the feed on a delay, or pause it as I need. I do this with live broadcasts over Youtube all the time. It's unlikely I will ever tune into a DG event on time so this bothers me. I would also encourage them to incorporate some sort of delay into their own broadcasting, as there was a pretty clear delay between the video and the announcer reactions. This could also give them more time to show highlight shots from other cards.
Lastly, why the hell am I getting ads when I am paying for the coverage?

Since I'm subscribed through Waco, I'll see what they can do, but I'm not really convinced yet.

If you haven't watched recently, it might be closer than you think. They covered four cards during the live view (two MPO and two FPO). Not every shot, but they would usually move to a card where something was happening when another group was walking. There was a lot less dead time than when I first watched live DG coverage (maybe two years ago for me).
I watched some of the free last day live coverage last year, but I would wait a few hours or watch afterward so I could skip ahead to the next shot quicker instead of wasting 4 hrs.

Alright, so I went ahead and paid my $5 to see what this was all about for All-Star weekend and my takeaways are:
Live coverage was pretty good, some buffering issues but no big deal to me. They did a pretty good job of shuffling between cards, but not enough in my opinion (I don't think they should focus solely on the lead card).
There were a few things that bothered me, primarily that I actually have to watch it live. I cannot fathom why there is no way to watch the feed on a delay, or pause it as I need. I do this with live broadcasts over Youtube all the time. It's unlikely I will ever tune into a DG event on time so this bothers me. I would also encourage them to incorporate some sort of delay into their own broadcasting, as there was a pretty clear delay between the video and the announcer reactions. This could also give them more time to show highlight shots from other cards.
Lastly, why the hell am I getting ads when I am paying for the coverage?

Since I'm subscribed through Waco, I'll see what they can do, but I'm not really convinced yet.

FWIW. I know there are some quirks with the DGN site & apps (powered by Vimeo). As far as pausing and rewinding DVR, I think it depends on what platform you watch it on. I am never on that side of the show so I can't say for sure... but I do recall hearing that.

And as we know and have talked to them about, the fact that when the broadcast ends, it kicks everyone out while it transcodes the video to the different formats is a PITA. But, as of now, it is on their "roadmap".

I find it 'interesting' that a group who shells out $30+ for some special edition disc complains so much about 3 days of coverage for $4 or $8, when that actually gets you multiple tournaments most months. I mean its like fifty cents or less a round considering a typical month.

If we are so poor how do we (they) pay for the gas to even drive to the courses, much less all this expensive plastic that usually ends up in a pond...:)

My free weekend time is worth a lot more than 4 to 8 dollars. It not the cost of the event, rather much better ways to enjoy my weekend.

Though the passive aggressive guilt complex is an ""interesting"" way to move a product.

And as we know and have talked to them about, the fact that when the broadcast ends, it kicks everyone out while it transcodes the video to the different formats is a PITA. But, as of now, it is on their "roadmap".

I think even Youtube still does this. I know several times I've joined a 'premier' or live event after the start and re-wound (re-winded?) to the beginning, then got booted when the timeline ends.

Not sure if it's happened recently, but I know it's been an issue in the past.

I had basically given up being a sports fan due to costly cable packages and streaming services; many of which didn't deliver on their promises. Subscribing to watch disc golf feels like a step backward for me.

Disc golf has really stepped up its marketing in the past two years. More costly signature discs and limited runs. Now a streaming service I have to subscribe to if I want to watch an event. Major professional sports and their forever escalating price gouging have left a sour taste in my mouth. Maybe it's the $10 beer in a plastic cup. I know that what DGN is asking for is a pittance by comparison, but I've reached a point where if you put it behind a paywall I'll just learn to live without it.

Live coverage was pretty good, some buffering issues but no big deal to me.

Zero buffering for me, but I did start about an hour after tee off.

I cannot fathom why there is no way to watch the feed on a delay, or pause it as I need.

I watch on PC and cast to my large screen. I let it buffer for a bit and I can click anywhere in the time line. If I couldn't do this during a live event, I would not be happy.

Lastly, why the hell am I getting ads when I am paying for the coverage? Since I'm subscribed through Waco, I'll see what they can do, but I'm not really convinced yet.

Commercials paid to the DGN for showing them during the broadcast. I would hope the long term goal is to charge enough for the ads to make all the coverage free. Yes, you're paid up through waco, comes out to around 3.35 an event. Pretty good value imop.

Jamie is awful. :sick:

He did not seem comfortable at all in the field. But I think it's the best place to put him now that Terry is in the box.

I watch on PC and cast to my large screen. I let it buffer for a bit and I can click anywhere in the time line. If I couldn't do this during a live event, I would not be happy.
I casted from my phone, so maybe I'll try my PC this weekend