• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

DGPT: 2019 Great Lakes Open presented by DISCRAFT July 5-7

How do we know they (DGPT) don't have those standards and processes in place? Why do we assume they haven't been followed? Because a couple players decided to flap their traps on social media? As if they're 100% in the know about everything?

The TD may well have dropped the ball on a detail or three. I'm not going to assume he didn't. I still don't think putting him on blast the day before the event does anyone any good. If players have grievances, there are better ways to go about trying to get them heard and resolved than whining on social media.

DGPT hasn't demonstrated, to me at least, a history of paying attention to details and to executing what they promise.

I agree with you that the details aren't known. We disagree, it appears, on how players' have used social media. DGPT would be wise to be prepared to respond to players' complaints because radio silence is a bad look.

I don't have a dog in this matter. I should probably go do something else with my Friday.

DGPT hasn't demonstrated, to me at least, a history of paying attention to details and to executing what they promise.

I agree with you that the details aren't known. We disagree, it appears, on how players' have used social media. DGPT would be wise to be prepared to respond to players' complaints because radio silence is a bad look.

I don't have a dog in this matter. I should probably go do something else with my Friday.

If the DGPT (or the TD) responds to the social media stuff on social media, that would only make things worse. If they're addressing the players and their concerns directly with them (and why not, they're all in the same place physically), that's the way it should work and there's no need to make a story out of it.

Social media should be a last resort to resolve issues, not the first choice.

Bob Julio also posted something on FB about this and didn't seem very pleased with the TD either.

If, as has been stated, Paul was in a private group chat when he posted his message about the TD, I have zero problem with it.

Mostly this.

However, if Hannah is indeed the leak, we may have just uncovered a conspiracy ;)

Oh goody... A lightening delay.:|

Between this and the heat, it looks like the disc golf spirits are paying them back for that awesome weather they had last year...

I get what you are saying but this isn't quite an apples to apples comparison really. PGA and associated tournaments are multi-million dollar ventures run by people who make careers out of these events. PDGA tourneys are run by volunteers.

Not to mention that golf courses have regular groundskeepers that work there full-time usually to keep the courses in great shape.

It's an A-tier, but it's a DGPT A-tier which comes with its own level of expectations justifiably higher than a run of the mill A-tier.

Caddy books certainly aren't required (didn't have them at Masters Worlds last week, so it's not an NT/Major requirement either). Neither is water in practice rounds (it is expected maybe even required of A-tiers during play).

Tee signs...that's a different thing. No matter the level of event, I expect tee signs available so long as the course is available, even on a temp course like this one and even in practice. They don't even have to be fancy...just something that identifies the tee and preferably states the distance to the hole. And ideally, there's a sign on every tee on each hole, not just one of them. If there's concern about temp signs disappearing overnight, pull them out in the evenings but they really should be there if they're expecting players to be able to navigate the place in practice.

Even if the complaints are legitimate, shouldn't there be a hierarchy of places to lodge them before getting to the "putting them on blast" social media posts? Like, trying to contact the TD or other tournament staff first. Then maybe Steve Dodge or someone else on the DGPT staff. Then maybe the PDGA office if they think it rises that high. Then if all else fails, go public. No idea if that happened here, but I get the feeling it didn't.

Gotta agree with this whole last paragraph of yours. There should be a system in place for players to make a legitimate gripe through, especially with either the DGPT office or the actual PDGA office. They would seem to be the 2 "governing bodies" to go through. First I would have had a talk with the TD to see what was going on before worrying about any complaining on social media. Like others have stated also, just reading a social media post gives no one any insight to the whole thing.

Would it be wise to put tee signs out overnight when they might disappear?

The park is policed, with a manned gate and metro park police, and the park is pretty secluded from any populated areas of "Metro Detroit".

Point being nobody is going to be out there doing anything destructive to that course. That whole Kensington park is one of the most policed parks in the whole SE Michigan area.

I'm from the area and have played the course every year since 2008.

Is hole 2 going to be listed as a par 4 this year?

It is - but they have also moved the basket shorter by about 40 or so feet

It would suck to play 2 rounds in one day on that course in this heat...

Fortunately, no one will have to play two full rounds. But it will be curious to see how late they allow play tonight (if they get restarted) in order to minimize what needs to be played tomorrow. Considering the final card was already backed up two holes in, the bigger gap they can create between those that need to restart in the morning and the FPO cards going out starting at 7:30, the better everything will flow tomorrow.

They could realistically play until about 9:15 tonight based on daylight, but I imagine they'll have to call it earlier than that just to allow players to get out of the park (I assume it's gated and the rangers aren't interested in staying late). So figure they play until 8:30, that gives them 3 hours if they re-start right now and don't get delayed again. They might squeeze it all in.

The tunnel course was sweet. There is now 2 18 hole courses in that area. When the toboggan is open for a month that means you got 3 18 hole courses in that park.

Latest posts