• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

DGPT: 2019 Memorial Championship

Just watched the mpo edited round 1. I didn't watch any of the live feed, I'm assuming this is clipped directly from that footage?

Not at all impressed with the image quality, which is understandable if it was pulled from a live feed where quality might be sacrificed in order to keep the feed running smooth. I've always been a bigger fan of post produced footage...perfectly content watching the round the next day. Especially if it's going to look a ton better also.

I like Uli doing commentary, I think he does a good job of explaining the desired path to the bucket. It sets up the shots well, especially on a course that might seem super dull without him talking about where you do and don't wanna be. Puts more context to how good these guys are about placing their shots.

I honestly thought one of the best parts to the footage was the mini map after each hole that showed each players score as well as where their shots landed. Kinda interesting to see the different lines plotted on a hole map.

I understand that some people are willing to sit at home and watch live footage for big events, but I just don't have the time for it. Give me highly polished 30 minute 9 hole videos next day.

I am a HUGE fan of both Nate and Val. I am NOT a huge fan of either as commentator. I get they probably did it for free as long as they could plug their brewery once in a while, but as I said on another thread, I'm guessing the financial state of the DGPT/Dodge tour is not doing well.

Yeah okay, watched the MPO video. Not terrible. Camera work could use some improvement sure (yes please zoom in on the giant hyzer until only the disc is in frame) and the sound mixing is odd. Course sounds on the left channel only? Maybe they will improve, but its a steepish slope with rollaway potential.

Those plot lines are from Par Save Productions. I would be suprised if not BY them even.

Barsby took a spill on his hand and opted out to recover.

Just watched the mpo edited round 1. I didn't watch any of the live feed, I'm assuming this is clipped directly from that footage?

Not at all impressed with the image quality, which is understandable if it was pulled from a live feed where quality might be sacrificed in order to keep the feed running smooth. I've always been a bigger fan of post produced footage...perfectly content watching the round the next day. Especially if it's going to look a ton better also.

I like Uli doing commentary, I think he does a good job of explaining the desired path to the bucket. It sets up the shots well, especially on a course that might seem super dull without him talking about where you do and don't wanna be. Puts more context to how good these guys are about placing their shots.

I honestly thought one of the best parts to the footage was the mini map after each hole that showed each players score as well as where their shots landed. Kinda interesting to see the different lines plotted on a hole map.

I understand that some people are willing to sit at home and watch live footage for big events, but I just don't have the time for it. Give me highly polished 30 minute 9 hole videos next day.

The footage is shot by the same cameras that provide the live video, but my understanding is they're taking the raw footage directly from the camera not the stream, so quality shouldn't be degraded (it can record in 1080p while streaming at 720p). If they're not doing that, then that's bad form.

Course is soft, -30 after 36 holes.

How long until the first NT that balances woods and open shots?

I forgot how brutal the opening of the season is: Vegas, Memorial, Glass Blown. Hyzer, hyzer, hyzer.

Also the reaction to no Jomez is what I expected. DGPT is getting destroyed on YouTube - pretty funny.

Last edited:

First NT that has a some woods is Masters Cup May 17-19.

DGPT has Waco and Jonesboro before GBO. San Francisco Open between GBO and Masters Cup. None of those 3 are as open as the first 3 NTs.

Say what you want about the DGPT media coverage, they have fun tournaments on the schedule.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewinder22 "Course is soft, -30 after 36 holes."
Chuck Kennedy doesn't think so and he's never wrong... :D
"Soft" only means the par was not set low enough for elite play. The course has demonstrated it provides sufficient, if not great, challenge to separate scores even though the scores are low. It's certainly not the most exciting to watch without much visual and shot variety for both viewers and players, but does provide drama on many throws. Deuce or die courses have forged champions for our history and still have a place in the mix of courses played at the elite level each season, just not a steady diet of them.

I, for one, get VERY bored watching tight wooded courses like IDGC in Georgia, the heavily wooded course they used for Worlds last year in NH, etc. Each course and type of course needs to be played. Just as in any sport, uniformity throughout a season = boredom because some players (or teams) excel at certain shots or conditions more than others. This allows for the cream to rise to the top, as the top players will, in general, average a better finish than those that are unilateral in their game.

To me, it's almost entrancing to watch a pure hyzer fly for near 500'. Amazing stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewinder22 "Course is soft, -30 after 36 holes."

"Soft" only means the par was not set low enough for elite play. The course has demonstrated it provides sufficient, if not great, challenge to separate scores even though the scores are low. It's certainly not the most exciting to watch without much visual and shot variety for both viewers and players, but does provide drama on many throws. Deuce or die courses have forged champions for our history and still have a place in the mix of courses played at the elite level each season, just not a steady diet of them.

Again, where is the challenge in This? Hyzer, putt, complete hole. Over and over and over. There is no shot shaping on this course

Again, where is the challenge in This? Hyzer, putt, complete hole. Over and over and over. There is no shot shaping on this course
Are foul shots challenging? Take the top 50 3-pt shooters in the NBA and have a competition. Four rounds with 54 shots in each round, 3 each from 18 different positions outside the 3-pt line and inside the half court line. Might not be exciting to watch but a winner would emerge and players would feel tested.

Even at the elite level, playing Fountain has some amount of uncertainty on two throws on many holes, the drive and the putt, especially when the putt comes after going OB or is blocked on the several holes with trees near the basket. Only a few of the throws may be technically difficult in a round, Forehand spin is advantageous or at least feasible on several holes to fade from OB, mostly on the left. The difficulty on this course becomes being able to maintain focus and continue to execute.

It's definitely a step up from the 3-pt shooting exercise and bowling, but most would agree, not as good as the challenge of long wooded courses. But it still falls within the range of skill challenges we have considered in the competitive realm of disc golf.

I forgot how brutal the opening of the season is: Vegas, Memorial, Glass Blown. Hyzer, hyzer, hyzer.

Also the reaction to no Jomez is what I expected. DGPT is getting destroyed on YouTube - pretty funny.

I agree. These hyperfest courses are just boring to watch. I don't think every course needs to be super wooded but some form of shot shaping should be required to be a major tournament. I don't even think the Memorial course is pro level...just look at how far under par the scores are.

Latest posts