• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

DGPT: 2019 Memorial Championship

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewinder22 "Course is soft, -30 after 36 holes."

"Soft" only means the par was not set low enough for elite play. The course has demonstrated it provides sufficient, if not great, challenge to separate scores even though the scores are low. It's certainly not the most exciting to watch without much visual and shot variety for both viewers and players, but does provide drama on many throws. Deuce or die courses have forged champions for our history and still have a place in the mix of courses played at the elite level each season, just not a steady diet of them.

Without looking closer, it would make sense to guess that an easy course is not a good test of skill. Low scoring holes generally are not as good of a test of skill as high scoring holes.

So, let's look at how the course treated the players rated 970 and up.

attachment.php

Most holes had scoring spread widths greater than 2, which I consider to be kind of a minimum acceptable. Scoring spreads widths of 2.5 and up are "good".

Note that all the holes had correlations with ratings that are in the right direction. That is, none of the holes gave better scores to lower rated players.

It would be fair to say Hole #13 is "too easy". Holes #12 and #16 would also be improved by making them harder, but they are within the range of what we would accept from higher scoring holes.

Easier is sometimes better. Note that holes #1, #3, #5, #7, #11, and #18 have wider scoring spreads and stronger correlations than hole #9, despite having lower average scores. Hole #9's ability to test skill could actually be improved by making it easier get more 2s.

Attachments

• FH193Stat.png
    FH193Stat.png
    40 KB · Views: 248
How could Cat get a 3 on hole 8?

She throw her teeshot in a tree. . no 2 meter rule?

How could Cat get a 3 on hole 8?

She throw her teeshot in a tree. . no 2 meter rule?

Per the video caddy guide for Vista, the 2 meter rule is in effect. Hopefully it's just an error on the live scoring (the person entering may not have realized there should be a penalty).

Tried to watch the MPO Round 1 coverage...and the Memorial is just a wash for me. I really could care less about this weak hyzerfest. It was at least interesting when it was filmed, edited and commentated well but this is just sad. #RIPDGPT

Agreed, these wide open courses were made watchable by having great camera work, good editing and strong commentary.

I honestly don't know how they will improve this to get to the point where I will actually watch.

I'm not going to read through right now because I don't want current spoilers...likely won't check back in detail until tourney is over and I have seen the final rounds.

But just wanted to say that I tried to watch the first round post production coverage and I had to stop because I was going to get seasick. I get motion sickness somewhat easily, but the zoomed in disc flights made it impossible for me to watch.

I really hope that that is adjusted during the following rounds. Use a stable camera view while keeping disc in frame...I don't want to see the disc with no other references in view, I know what a hyzer angle looks like. And then it also makes it so shaky that I can't handle it.

Very aggressive tactics of the FPO field on that hole 18...NO player birdys that hole and only 11 made par.....still players like Paige P goes for it ...Why not just play a 210feet putter hyzer and another 200 feet hyzer and make the par...way to much risk to drive that hole and go OB...not much to gain, much to loose

I'm not going to read through right now because I don't want current spoilers...likely won't check back in detail until tourney is over and I have seen the final rounds.

But just wanted to say that I tried to watch the first round post production coverage and I had to stop because I was going to get seasick. I get motion sickness somewhat easily, but the zoomed in disc flights made it impossible for me to watch.

I really hope that that is adjusted during the following rounds. Use a stable camera view while keeping disc in frame...I don't want to see the disc with no other references in view, I know what a hyzer angle looks like. And then it also makes it so shaky that I can't handle it.

Much better in round 2 FPO...First round was a disaster

Very aggressive tactics of the FPO field on that hole 18...NO player birdys that hole and only 11 made par.....still players like Paige P goes for it ...Why not just play a 210feet putter hyzer and another 200 feet hyzer and make the par...way to much risk to drive that hole and go OB...not much to gain, much to loose

Watching PP take that 7 on #18 was brutal. She's been in control all day, has a comfortable lead, is playing great. All she needs to do is par and she's sitting with a 3 stroke lead going into the final round.

What does she do?: Runs for birdie and puts it in the drink. Worth noting that she drove past the 400+ foot basket. Re-tees, flips the 2nd drive over and misses even worse. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_JnP8x4bW50
3:26:15 mark if you want to hear Paige Pierce mutter an F bomb that the live broadcast catches.

Immediately grabs another disc and puts the 3rd drive attempt, throwing for 5, finally puts it in bounds. Disastrous 7. Now she trails by 1 going into the final round. Tried to gain 1 stroke, wound up costing her 4.

Watching PP take that 7 on #18 was brutal. She's been in control all day, has a comfortable lead, is playing great. All she needs to do is par and she's sitting with a 3 stroke lead going into the final round.

What does she do?: Runs for birdie and puts it in the drink. Worth noting that she drove past the 400+ foot basket. Re-tees, flips the 2nd drive over and misses even worse. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_JnP8x4bW50
3:26:15 mark if you want to hear Paige Pierce mutter an F bomb that the live broadcast catches.

Immediately grabs another disc and puts the 3rd drive attempt, throwing for 5, finally puts it in bounds. Disastrous 7. Now she trails by 1 going into the final round. Tried to gain 1 stroke, wound up costing her 4.

absolutely painful to watch

Totally agree.

Latest posts