• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

DGPT: 2020 Dynamic Discs Open

Sorry for being thick...but what am I supposed to be seeing in the video link? :confused:

Paige P.'s eagle 3 on #9. She threw her second shot to the circle (not a throw in) with a long turnover backhand with a Buzzz.

I was replying to Arisugawa

Catrina can throw nearly as well/far as Paige P, but she absolutely can't putt to save her life. She leaves a TON of strokes on the course every round due to brutal short misses. Sometimes multiple tap in misses on the same hole. This seems to be a chronic problem too.

Paige P on the other hand has gotten even better at putting than she was before.

Catrina literally needs to take a whole offseason and just work on putting.

At the end of last year and the beginning of this year Paige P has risen to a dominating level over all the other women players. She's just way better than all of them at all facets of the game.

Last edited:
They spray down and sanitize the baskets after each card plays it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Which is just ridiculous and for show really.

If this virus was potent enough to get from person to disc to metal to disc to person I kinda think we'd be all dead by now.

Edit. also if it were potent enough to catch like that, it would surely be irresponsible to even host an event, spray bottles or not

Better safe than sorry, obviously, but thats just taking care or the 1/1000000 chance it might just get transmitted like that.

Paige P.'s eagle 3 on #9. She threw her second shot to the circle (not a throw in) with a long turnover backhand with a Buzzz.

I was replying to Arisugawa

For some reason the 1st viewing of the vid took me to a different hole. lol... ok...so a 700 ft hole. Looked like two 335+ throws with a buzzz and a 30ft putt for eagle. yep...that's incredible. wow...

How so? Climo didn't dominate because of his distance, he just made more birdies and fewer mistakes, same as McBeth.
True, I was not clear enough. Just referring to her overall talent level. Her field is just plain shallow. She's way more like a Climo than a McBeth in that way. Her field just can't hang with her physically.

You are probably more likely to get it from the handle of the spray bottle than from the disc hitting the basket. . if every group use the same spray bottle

They were also required to use hand sanitizer after using the spray bottle. So at least there's that.

True, I was not clear enough. Just referring to her overall talent level. Her field is just plain shallow. She's way more like a Climo than a McBeth in that way. Her field just can't hang with her physically.

So what would you say is the difference in Climo and McBeth? I don't think Climo's competition was shallow, he was just a beast and driven to win like no other back then.

So what would you say is the difference in Climo and McBeth? I don't think Climo's competition was shallow, he was just a beast and driven to win like no other back then.
I mean, beside the fact that McBeth by the pure eye-test looks like he is better than 1990s Climo at the sport (based on VHS viewing, and purely eye-test - so, sure, opinion), Climo was competing against a TINY TINY TINY group of competitors. And that was a group of competitors who relied on, if they had anything, mail order videos and paper tutorials on how to throw. Paul McBeth's fields are deeper by orders of magnitude than anything Climo ever had to deal with. Paul has to deal with competition pulling from not only much deeper North American fields, but also much deeper international fields.

To be clear I'm not saying disc golf isn't still a somewhat new sport with somewhat small overall populations of competitors around the world. It's definitely still small. I definitely don't think Paul McBeth is going to be the best disc golfer to have ever lived by the time I'm old (much less Climo). I'm just saying we're in a different place with more folk able to play year-round without a side gig, more folk in general, more opportunities for training...

Ken Climo is like George Mikan or Cy Young.
Paul McBeth is like Bill Russell or Walter Johnson.
(yes, I know Russell's title count is more like Climo's - but Paul has yet to finish his career)

Disc golf hasn't had its Bob Gibson, much less its Clayton Kershaw or Pedro Martinez.
Disc golf hasn't had its Magic Johnson, much less its Michael Jordan or LeBron James.

Sport is still young. Field is still small. To bring it back to the original point - I will note that obviously I do see the era-related similarities between Paul's fields and Paige's fields. Obviously the training resources are there for women just like they are for men now. But given how few women I see at the course every day - in terms of the depth of the pool? There are not nearly enough athletic young women getting into this game to put the women's side of the sport on the same level as the men in terms of its popularity within the gender.

I don´t think i have seen a "lost disc" in a big tournament before. . hard to loose your main driver on the first hole

Looked like a small tree that Paige P hit. . strange that no one found it

I don´t think i have seen a "lost disc" in a big tournament before. . hard to loose your main driver on the first hole

Looked like a small tree that Paige P hit. . strange that no one found it

If you've ever been to Country Club, it is very possible to lose a disc in that tree/bush. I've personally seen it. we al saw the disc go in the thick part and no one could find it -- that is not within a couple minutes.

A couple of years ago I helped a friend look for a disc in that very bush. We were at it for like a half hour, and never found it. It's ridiculous.

I think someone else eventually found it later and returned it to her.

edit: also, I'm allergic to juniper pollen, and it was springtime, so I was one itchy and sneezy mofo for the rest of the day.

Last edited:
You are probably more likely to get it from the handle of the spray bottle than from the disc hitting the basket. . if every group use the same spray bottle

This is one of the reasons we did not have to continue using the spray bottles after round 1.

The hand sanitizer was left out there for anyone who wanted to use it, but it was no longer required to spray down the chains and cage after everyone putted out in Round 2 and 3.

So, Arisugawa... I see that DGCR was represented by you and Nova. Any other DGCR'rs there? (Of course, Paul. LOL.)

And for Arisugawa and Nova, what did the two of you think of the course? A lot of people seem to hate it. But as far as DG courses on golf courses go, I thought that It was pretty decent to watch.

It might not be fun to watch, but I really enjoy playing there at ECC.

I mean, you wouldn't know it by my scores, but even when everything was going wrong (or when I was going wrong, not all of my misfortune was cosmic fate bringing me down), I was still having fun playing DG with fun cardmates in a pleasant setting.

Except for hole 9. Hole 9 can die in a fire.

There's a lot of intangibles at ECC that aren't represented on video which help me enjoy the place. There's parking right by hole one, there's guys in golf carts driving around with water coolers chasing us down to refill our water bottles almost every three minutes (seriously, my thermos never got below 3/4 full), the course geese are raising some adorable goslings, the air-conditioned clubhouse has a bar and grill and spacious and clean bathroom, the organizers have a laptop with Spotify plugged into the PA system to give everyone a custom walk-up first hole song, the course has an FPO layout that is score-able but still challenging as hell, the payout cut line for FPO was a generous 50% (rounded up, so 8th of 15 cashed, getting double her entry fee back), and more.

Something that's hard to appreciate on video is how omnipresent the OB is, and how the razor-short grass growing out of soil that's baked hard in the summer sun will send any disc skipping gleefully OB effortlessly. Staying in bounds on this course is hard as heck, despite how wide the fairways look. This is especially treacherous for 375-400' throwers, as that kind of distance unlocks some potential birdies that the shorter throwers cannot reach, but a disc thrown that far comes to the ground with more energy and now it's skipping towards the OB and oh shi--

(Just sayin'.)

Also few holes are as straightforward and open as one might think. If there's one or two trees in the fairway, you can be sure they are exactly in the way, and the route around the tree(s) either is an OB carry, or a landing that can skip OB, or the slope of the green is the "wrong" way and next thing you know you're on a 400' cut roll into the next county (and OB). ECC is an unforgiving course, and it punishes sleep-walkers. The instant a player stops paying attention to what they're doing, it jumps up and bites. Hard.