• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

DGPT: 2020 The Preserve Championship July 3-5

This course is more fun to watch than ECC.
Should be an interesting lead card tomorrow.
I thought the Big Juli commentary was alright and I'm looking forward to watching rounds 2 & 3.

Personally I would add a little on some holes. I think most are good though. For instance Simon can hyzer/hyzer on 18. He doesn't even have to risk going into the water. At 980, maybe he has to take some hyzer off and other guys will have to full flex to get into eagle range.

As much as I like seeing Eagle roll it into eagle range for birdie on a 650 foot par 4, having it play 800 and finsh back into the woods would make it even tougher on avg and a tougher birdie. It's almost a gimme birdie. 650 and wide fairway is a gimme for these top pro's.

The shorter par 3's would be awesome back 50 feet as well like I mentioned. But yes, most of the holes are designed really well. I would just toughen it up just a bit more for more scoring seperation.

18, haha. That's a par 4.

After watching Jomez's first round videos, I'm just so disappointed about not being able to get out and watch this event this weekend. I live in the area and if it wasn't for covid-19 limiting spectators I would have been able to see some fun disc golf in person.

After watching Jomez's first round videos, I'm just so disappointed about not being able to get out and watch this event this weekend. I live in the area and if it wasn't for covid-19 limiting spectators I would have been able to see some fun disc golf in person.

I'm not sad. Im staying in the air conditioning.
Eff this weather.

I hate this weather too, but living in the St Cloud Metro Area( I will give Clearwater as been a fringe part of it but they are part the the St Cloud School district so I count them as part of it) where most big events happen in Fargo or the Twin Cities Metro I really want this event to do well and be a yearly event. We rarely get big events of any kind around here because we are too close to the Twin Cities. I realize that without Covid-19 this event probably wouldn't be on the DGPT calender. I hope it makes a good enough impression that top Pro drawing events can continue to come to the area. But I am just slightly worried I might miss out on a great chance to see some great disc golf played by pros I've followed and enjoyed for many years without having to drive at least an hour each way.

I hate this weather too, but living in the St Cloud Metro Area( I will give Clearwater as been a fringe part of it but they are part the the St Cloud School district so I count them as part of it) where most big events happen in Fargo or the Twin Cities Metro I really want this event to do well and be a yearly event. We rarely get big events of any kind around here because we are too close to the Twin Cities. I realize that without Covid-19 this event probably wouldn't be on the DGPT calender. I hope it makes a good enough impression that top Pro drawing events can continue to come to the area. But I am just slightly worried I might miss out on a great chance to see some great disc golf played by pros I've followed and enjoyed for many years without having to drive at least an hour each way.

what events are in fargo

and at what courses

Making holes in the "in-between" range for par is silly. If the vast majority of the field (75%+) that matters (excluding those that have no chance of cashing to begin with) gets the same score, it's probably a bad hole, and that's often what happens with holes that distance.
It seems that the scores these 1st two rounds would indicate the exact opposite is happening. These 700' holes are by and large getting 3's and 4's. I think that 75% you mention have exactly the same opportunity to get 3's on a 700' hole. Anyone that can throw 400' has that chance.

But what if the hole was 600' or 625'? Now you have a certain percentage of the field that CAN reach the green in one, or at least circle 2. Maybe now you have more score separation. I don't care if you call that a par 3 or par 4. I am in the camp that thinks it is sad to not have a hole of a particular length or difficulty simply because setting what the par would be is less clear.

Maybe this is more of a 'par' discussion/issue than a scoring separation issue. But obviously, with 19 players at -20 or better, there appears to not be much scoring separation at present.

I do agree that it does set up for a potentially awesome final round, perhaps with several in contention going into the final holes. That is great for fans of course. I for one am quite excited to watch the final round live!

I didn't realize this event was Honoring the memory of George Floyd, or raising money for the NAACP. Makes sense when you think about where they're playing.

Preserve Championship to Honor the Memory of George Floyd
As we restart the Disc Golf Pro Tour season, we are faced with many challenges in a fast-changing world. We at the Pro Tour want to take a moment to reflect on a topic that has great meaning and significance to us; racial equality. In the wake of George Floyd's murder and the subsequent protests, we affirmed our support of Black Live Matter, peaceful protests, and denounced racism in all its forms. Today, in the approach of an event so close to Minneapolis, we honor and support the continued effort and struggle for equality for all people, and in this case, black Americans.

The Disc Golf Pro Tour dedicates The Preserve Championship to the memory of Geroge Floyd in the spirit of equality for all people. George Floyd's murder has sparked discussion, debate, protest, and a great cry of outrage at the oppression that still exists in different forms across the world. To better support our values and the change we want to see in society, the DGPT will raise money for the NAACP over the course of the three days of The Preserve Championship. Please consider donating to our goal of $2,500 raised.

The world is better when we see what unites us all. It's better when we recognize that, while differences and divisions exist, there is much more that connects us. Love connects us. In disc golf, the love of being outside connects us. The love of competition connects us. The love of the flight of a disc connects us. That love of the sport should be equally accessible and able to be enjoyed by all. We make space for barriers to be identified, connections to bloom, and differences to be understood when we communicate openly. We're excited to contribute to that by opening up our platform and hosting our second Diversity in Disc Golf forum today with guests Steve Hill, Juan Garcia, and Zoe Andyke at 5:00 PM Central on DGPT YouTube. We hope you join us.

Jeff Spring

DGPT CEO & Director

If you're enjoying this event, why not click the link and make a donation?

Last edited:
Paige R2 score of 56 was rated 1004.....a 56 in the MPO field was Rated 1011 and a 57 was Rated 1002

So if Paige would play in open from the MPO tees she would basically had to play the same score to get the same rating?
No way that Paige would play the same score from the MPO tees

Interesting. The way that course was set up for FPO and MPO:

Unless the conditions were very different, there's no way the round rating for a 56 from the MPO tees should be that close to the rating of a 56 from the FPO tees. All that additional distance has to account for more than 7 rating points.

Ratings. They give you an idea of the relative level of how good a course is performance ...but they ain't perfect. :\

Last edited:
There's a 700 foot difference between the two layouts. I would predict a 2-2.5 stroke difference between the ratings scales.

R1:
FPO60 = 967
MPO60 = 984
Difference = 17 points, ~2.1 strokes

R2:
FPO60 = 969
MPO60 = 977
Difference = 8 points, 1 stroke

We'll see how it goes today, and how it looks after they get combined, but R2 was indeed a little closer than I would have thought. I would have thought the FPO would have been the more volatile of the two, but it was actually MPO that had a bigger difference between the two days.

for those not local its been really mild to no winds the past few days too so this course is pretty much prime for low scores

not sure if this has been discussed already

Having played for about 5 straight days in the heat, a bit of a sore elbow and a hangover, all have me staying home watching this live coverage. Great strides in the quality of coverage.

Major takeaway.....they need to eliminate spectators. They are CLEARLY demonstrating they cannot social distance and behave safely. :( :(

Having played for about 5 straight days in the heat, a bit of a sore elbow and a hangover, all have me staying home watching this live coverage. Great strides in the quality of coverage.

Major takeaway.....they need to eliminate spectators. They are CLEARLY demonstrating they cannot social distance and behave safely. :( :(

All these "sports" plans are pretty lecture-y/defensive about how they're doing various steps, but to allow "limited" spectators but not to care how they mingle about is irresponsible.

what events are in fargo

and at what courses

I was talking about more than just disc golf. St Cloud is a regional hub but most nationally touring concerts and other events skip this area because we are just close enough to the Twin Cities metro that they go there instead. Several music acts I've been interested in seeing will play both the Twin Cities and Fargo bypassing Cloudy Town. I've also experienced this with dog sports like nosework were most competitions are in the Twin Cities or Fargo so it's a drive to get there. Its just a little annoying in that we are big enough to get better events than we do but geographically we are just in the wrong spot.

As far as the weather, this prolonged hot, humid, with little wind weather in this area is a little out of the ordinary. Considering how open the course is I bet if there was a good breeze we won't be seeing as many of the really low scores we are getting.

Latest posts