• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

DGPT Match Play Championship 2022

acrosley

Eagle Member
Bronze level trusted reviewer
https://www.dgpt.com/event/disc-golf-pro-tour-match-play-championship-2/

Event runs from today through the 19th in Bailey CO. Course is at 8000 feet elevation. Couple of the big names withdrew but still plenty of talent to be found in the field. Will be fun to see some of the lesser known guys get a chance to showcase themselves. 1st place gets 10k. Not sure if there will be post production or not.

I'm gonna predict Conrad over Simon in the finals.

Wonder how motivated Simon is. . din´t he say in a video that he asked Discmania if he had to play this one. . .and they said "yes."

I'm actually kind of excited that they aren't there. We see so much of them on lead cards, which is also great, but checking out other's lines and styles is awesome - like Queen's win at Hornets' last year, that was a great despite having seen the course so many times and knowing the lines.
I just played Bailey a few months ago and to me, the course itself would make it worth watching instead of bolf course hyzers.

that's a little generous to exactly how many top names are missing lol. no dickerson, wysocki, mcbeth, or heimburg. and obviously no eagle. top 5 according to most world rankings :(

The top 5 FPO is missing to, ,

Could be fun to watch other players. . but for the event, missing all the top 5 players in FPO and MPO looks kind of bad for the Pro Tour

It's sort of surprising given 1st place is $10K (at least) for both divisions. There's ONLY 15 other competitors to boot.
I guess these fat contracts have completely satiated any monetary needs the top players may have.

If someone said 3-4 years ago that there was an event with only 16 players, with the top two places getting at least $15K combined, and the top 5 in both divisions were choosing not to play (granted a couple may be injury-related), no one would have believed them.

Players with the better forehands have an advantage at this elevation.

while i generally agree with your premise, Bailey in particular doesnt really favor forehands., The majority of holes need a hyzer flip or regular hyzer backhand.

Why is that?
I throw a lot of forehands, and I often play at significant elevation. Yet I rarely feel advantaged

I think what he's getting at is most of us noodle arms use flex forehands for max FH distance, the higher altitude gives more reliable overstabilty so you can really flex the FH.
Opposite is true for BH, unless your Nikko, where most of us noodle arms get distance with understable discs which are far less reliable at elevation. Luke Humphries kept lamenting in his parctice round video that only his roller disc would turn on backhands and his normal flippy discs werent turning at all.

that's a little generous to exactly how many top names are missing lol. no dickerson, wysocki, mcbeth, or heimburg. and obviously no eagle. top 5 according to most world rankings :(

The top 5 FPO is missing to, ,

Could be fun to watch other players. . but for the event, missing all the top 5 players in FPO and MPO looks kind of bad for the Pro Tour

How did they come up with the seedings?
Qualifying
Sixteen players from each division are invited with Elite Series winners automatically qualifying and all remaining spots awarded based on points standings*.
DGPT standings have Gannon Buhr (3rd) and Missy Gannon (5th) in the top 5 (by points). This DGPT Matchplay event is rewarding players that have attended most events and played well for the first half of the season. The DGPT All-Star event to kick off the season rewards the end of prior year points standings.

-I wonder if fuel costs for those travelling in RVs/hauling trailers factored into some folks not joining in (500 extra miles out of the way and another travel day or two).
-Probably some not wanting to fly out since Bailey isn't really close to the Denver and a rental car would be needed (less options to carpool with the limited invitees). Simon flew with his fiance/baby out so he will need to place well to recoup the costs.

Prize Purse
The prize purse is subject to change but will meet the minimum amounts listed below.
Champions – $10,000
Second Place Finishers – $5000
Final Four – $2,500
Appearance for Group Play – $1,000

I imagine for the top players the prize money isn't really going to move the needle. Players know that the Majors at the end of the year are where they make a name for themselves and staying healthy is a priority. This weekend give a chance to stay home and rest or focus on other projects. Notice the players showing up are either young or don't have big dollar contracts.

Watching some of the practice rounds really gave me an appreciation for you all who play at elevation. Guess you eventually figure out which discs work but I'd probably have to stick to Leopards and Sails.

Wonder how motivated Simon is. . din´t he say in a video that he asked Discmania if he had to play this one. . .and they said "yes."

He pretty much said in an interview on The Upshot podcast that he was only going to show up if Discmania twisted his arm about it.

Why is that?
I throw a lot of forehands, and I often play at significant elevation. Yet I rarely feel advantaged
:( ;)
Players who don't have a forehand have a much tougher challenge throwing backhand anhyzers successfully, especially if they're used to throwing them at lower elevation.

Tour points from a few weeks ago- not sure exactly where the cut off was.

Gotcha. I looked at the points and the lineup does not match the current order. For instance, Simon would have moved up a spot I think.

Players with the better forehands have an advantage at this elevation.

And players with bad forehands (me) really struggle on the holes that go straight uphill on this course :D

FWIW I think it's interesting that they're not playing any of those holes during this event. 11 is a beast, but I believe they avoided that #15-20 part of the course that I always thought was the steepest and most meh portion of a great course and property.