• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

DGPT: The Memorial Championship presented by Discraft 27-Feb to 01-Mar-2020

Peak concurrent viewers hit just over 13K for the final round. Probably the 2nd or 3rd most watched event in Live Disc Golf history. Worlds hit over 15K last year.

Do you know how many subs they've sold yet? Or would you at least post view counts so we can compare the early rounds for the next event? Not trying to be a ****head but am truly interested in seeing how well this works for you guys. I'm would think the views for the free final round would be down a bit just based on the fact that its not the first live event of the year.

Won't have that Dave Chappelle meme thing going on and such.;)

Odd stats. .

Paige shot a 55 in R4 rated 1017 this year. . last year she also shot a 55 in R4 but that time it was rated 1001

Eagle shot a 52 in R4 rated 1043 this year. . last year he also shot a 52 in R4, that was rated 1046

So both Paige and Eagle shot the same score in R4 both 2020 and 2019
But Paiges was rated higher in 2020, Eagles round was rated lower??

And its just insane that Paige shot the same score in R4 both 2019 and 2020. . and still got a 26 shots better total in 2020

They played different courses Round 4 -- this year was Vista del Camino; last year was Fountain Hills. The diff in Vista and Fountain might account for that -- not just for Paige but for everyone.

Actually, in 2019 the final round was Vista. The schedule has been the same for 2019 and 2020 (Fountain, Fountain, Vista, Vista). https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bi4bqEJ5BBg

HOWEVER

When Jolt made his post, there was a mistake in the layout assignments in PDGA Tournament Manager. Fixing the mistake changed the ratings for the final round. Paige's 55 in R4 is actually rated 1000, not 1017. Eagle's 52 got changed from 1043 to 1045 (minor change for MPO).

Do you know how many subs they've sold yet? Or would you at least post view counts so we can compare the early rounds for the next event? Not trying to be a ****head but am truly interested in seeing how well this works for you guys. I'm would think the views for the free final round would be down a bit just based on the fact that its not the first live event of the year.

Won't have that Dave Chappelle meme thing going on and such.;)

I am not at liberty to say how many subs. But everyone is very happy.

All those numbers can be seen on YouTube. The number of views and such.

I am not at liberty to say how many subs. But everyone is very happy.

All those numbers can be seen on YouTube. The number of views and such.

I figured you probably couldn't comment on the subs. With regards to the views, I was really meaning for the future early rounds once they go behind the paywall.

ScoreKeeping and UDisc

They are not really thay accurate, at least if they use the same app as ordinary users. You note your putting distance from C1 with three categories, and then the distance is reported as average of that category. Same with C1, then you estimate actual distance if you make your shot outside C2 (I think, never made one...).

I was a volunteer for the final two days of the Memorial and worked the Vista course. I wasn't a scorekeeper, but how it work is:

a person follows the group using UDisc (for this tourney...and some tourneys use PDGA Live Scoring). The baskets have marks showing circle 1 and circle 2. The scorer enters all the data into UDisc for the entire card. Mostly it is tournament volunteers doing the live scoring, but in some cases it is a player, caddy or other person following the group.

They are not really thay accurate, at least if they use the same app as ordinary users. You note your putting distance from C1 with three categories, and then the distance is reported as average of that category. Same with C1, then you estimate actual distance if you make your shot outside C2 (I think, never made one...).

Note that every putt inside C2 is either 5, 16, 27, 38, 49, or 60 ft.
Same thing as your personal UDisc stats.

The scorekeeping volunteer follows the card and enters their throws as they make them. Sometimes the scorekeeper will record a throw from the tee and then have to edit it once they actually get to the lie (thought it was a C1 throw, turns out it's actually in C2, or whatever).

On the putting green, the options are:
Putt from 0-11 ft, gets recorded as a 5 ft putt.
Putt from 12-22 ft, gets recorded as a 16 ft putt.
Putt from 22-33 ft, gets recorded as a 27 ft putt.
Putt from 33-44 ft, gets recorded as a 38 ft putt.
Putt from 44-55 ft, gets recorded as a 49 ft putt.
Putt from 55-66 ft, gets recorded as a 60 ft putt.
Putts outside of C2 get estimated and entered manually.

As someone who is sponsored by legacy and infinite Drew Gibson was throwing a ton of discraft first round.

Agreed. If I were Infinite, I'd be a little irritated. I didn't see him throw a single Infinite mold the entire weekend. On the other hand, you have GG and Jerm throwing aces with Infinite branded discs.

As someone who is sponsored by legacy and infinite Drew Gibson was throwing a ton of discraft first round.

From what I gathered he was putting/throwing:

Challys
Luna
Buzzz
Recluse? - some overstable Legacy mid
Firebird
Force
PD2

I understand the system and when you designed it, it was probably the best way to go... But its time for a change. Disc technology has changed. The player's talent level has changed and quite frankly, course design has changed. When all these very talented guys are playing intermediate level courses, in near perfect conditions, it creates badly flawed ratings. You can't hope that the wind will pick up and keep the scores down any longer. There needs to be an adjustment of some kind.

Do you understand how ratings work? I would be interested to read how you think they are calculated per round.

I mean its not that difficult. Anyone who knows how to read and understands how to navigate to different websites, can read all about it on the PDGA site.

Agreed. If I were Infinite, I'd be a little irritated. I didn't see him throw a single Infinite mold the entire weekend. On the other hand, you have GG and Jerm throwing aces with Infinite branded discs.

I understand that Legacy might have made an open mixed bag deal with him, where he had to at least throw a few Legacy molds.

However, my understanding with Infinite is that you are required to bag a few of their molds.

He had plenty of options for the courses they were playing as far as OS discs from Infinite's line up.

I mean he might still bag them, but didn't seem to care much about throwing them over a company that doesn't even sponsor him.

Must be trying for that Discraft money next season.

He was definitely showing off his Infinite disc/stamp during the Brodie Smith Max Distance vid yesterday.

I'd be real interested in you telling me why I should care what a troll thinks...

you shouldn't, but it is funny for the rest of us to read your comments about ratings realizing all the while you...don't...have....a....clue... as to how they work or better yet WHY they work the way they do. lol.. I was really hoping you would have just replied with your assumptions how they work instead of going to the internet to find out, man..that would have been gold. lol..

you shouldn't, but it is funny for the rest of us to read your comments about ratings realizing all the while you...don't...have....a....clue... as to how they work or better yet WHY they work the way they do. lol.. I was really hoping you would have just replied with your assumptions how they work instead of going to the internet to find out, man..that would have been gold. lol..

I mean its not that difficult. Anyone who knows how to read and understands how to navigate to different websites, can read all about it on the PDGA site.

Like I said, for someone who intentionally spreads false BS like you, its real easy to understand the system if you know how to read. The system is flawed. It rewards shooting well on easy courses more than it rewards shooting better on harder course. Until we have some kind of slope rating to determine the difficulty of a course or an adjustment to the formula, its going to continue to be flawed.

:thmbup:

Like I said, for someone who intentionally spreads false BS like you, its real easy to understand the system if you know how to read. The system is flawed. It rewards shooting well on easy courses more than it rewards shooting better on harder course. Until we have some kind of slope rating to determine the difficulty of a course or an adjustment to the formula, its going to continue to be flawed.
:thmbup:
Your support of tough wooded courses has affected your understanding. There are no more ratings rewards for the field regardless of the course played. It's not possible. If the propagators average 990 rating at a course, their round rating average will be the same at Fountain or Idlewild, probably a few points above 990. It's the way the math works. However, Fountain will have equal amounts of higher ratings and lower ratings at the extremes than Idlewild because the more shots thrown, the harder it is to maintain exceptional shooting. That narrows the range of ratings but does not decrease the average generated.

The PGA tour has known this for a 100 years. They don't include Par 3 and Executive Par 64 courses in their tour. Their courses are essentially like our Idlewild. But that restriction to par 70-72 courses doesn't work yet for our disc golf tours and may never be the case. The rating system is not the culprit, it's just the messenger indicating the differences.

That was my whole point Chuck. Solely basing the system off how the players play compared to each other and not at least part of that equation being a course difficulty rating, is flawed... and yes, I realize how hard it would be to place a course rating for every course in the world that people play tourneys at. Its not your fault. You did the best you could with what you had.

Latest posts