• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

DGPT Pro Tour Championship 2020

Note: I said the Commentator can be helpful to provide context to "set up" the throw, i.e., before the shot. If they need to comment during the shot, it might as well be radio, especially when they are looking at the same video feed as the viewers.

Got it, I agree with that distinction.

Also, final thought. I mentioned this to a commentator. Blows my mind they didn't talk about it. In 2010 the Carolina Clash was an NT. Climo, Ulibari, Feldberg and Locastro final card. I was carrying the leaderboard and saw the best throw I've ever seen. 17 back then was same tee and slightly shorter basket right (20ft right and left). Fairway was 15ft wide, 100% shule either side, not cleared out like we have made it sense to 20ft off fairway. Ulibari threw a Star Destroyer, did a KJ fall off the box. His disc pured the fairway, flared up the hill and hit a spectator standing by the pipe. He had a jump putt for double eagle and took an eagle on the hole. Uli somehow doesn't remember that shot 10 years ago and they kept saying it was only eagled once in tournament play even though like 40 people witnessed Uli do it in the 2010 clash. Anyways, it is interesting to see the inside and then watch the coverage.

Had a chance to watch Uli and Big Jerm's practice round at HN on Jomez. Pretty incredible to see Uli eagle #17 (yes I know, it wasn't a tournament round), even putting from behind the basket.
Funny, Big Jerm had the same look on his face whenever someone on his card goes 2 under on a hole!!

I have nothing to do with the ESPN content but... My best guess is if you have 88 minutes of airtime...

10-15% will be "How we got here"
5-10% will be player bios and features/interviews
75% will be disc golf (split evenly between FPO & MPO)

So, that is about 30 minutes for each division. My guess is that you see maybe 6-7 holes of each division. And it probably won't include every player. You probably won't see much of Hannum & Heimburg after the first 2 holes or so.

As for wooded golf. It is very difficult for us to film. If it is heavily wooded, I tend to use the throw camera more because they are usually directly behind the thrower and can see down the fairway. Cutting to the catch cam is disorienting in those scenarios, and I try to do it as late as possible. I would love to integrate something like the old school USDGC Dots into our broadcast for the really wooded courses, it would give the viewer a better perspective of where each player lands sometimes.

But, live flight tracking software is not really possible for disc golf. Those systems are crazy expensive, and they require a stationary camera and only work from one direction. So it would be useful in very few situations.

Close, but dont worry, all 8 players will get plenty of air time. They are going to do a good job I think. We will have things to nitpick and I think they will probably do a lot of horn tooting for the tour but overall, you'll get a good condensed product you can be happy to watch for 2 hours and share with people you know that you want to get interested in disc golf. They have a viewer goal about 20% higher than that normal time slot, so share share share. Help grow our sport.

Had a chance to watch Uli and Big Jerm's practice round at HN on Jomez. Pretty incredible to see Uli eagle #17 (yes I know, it wasn't a tournament round), even putting from behind the basket.
Funny, Big Jerm had the same look on his face whenever someone on his card goes 2 under on a hole!!

I should have mentioned in my final thought. hole 17 I mentioned was from Hornet's nest. So Uli eagled the same hole (but harder because of no usable rough in 2010 and he doesn't remember and Jeremy acted like it had never been done even though I told him his co-host did it in 2010, lol. I guess it is all for the excitement of the broadcast, but makes me wonder what else they neglect to say when they get super excited about throws at other tour events.

I'm not sure which is worse- listening to Jerm comment on a card that he's playing in, or commenting on a course that he is uniquely involved with. He has a ton of good info, stories, decent jokes occasionally, but just comes off way too cocky/know-it-all/D-baggish that it can get to me midway through a round.
If he's on the card then it turns into an explanation of everything he does.
In the practice matches he comes off as a jerk in general.
If Uli says something in commentary, Jerm feels the need to clarify.
Dude WE GET IT- youve played the course before.

The FPO side seemed a little cringy as well with Paige on the mic with the GK pro guy- who seemed to go above and beyond to mention his love for everything Paige does. OK you want to give props- Fine; but maybe dont go on a long spill about your love of Paige's upshots while several other throwers are throwing and then not discuss any of those throws.

I'm not sure which is worse- listening to Jerm comment on a card that he's playing in, or commenting on a course that he is uniquely involved with. He has a ton of good info, stories, decent jokes occasionally, but just comes off way too cocky/know-it-all/D-baggish that it can get to me midway through a round.

Then you would have loved Uli in the practice round when the two of them stepped onto the 18th tee, looks around, "Anyone else have a 3?" :D:D:D

The FPO side seemed a little cringy as well with Paige on the mic with the GK pro guy- who seemed to go above and beyond to mention his love for everything Paige does. OK you want to give props- Fine; but maybe dont go on a long spill about your love of Paige's upshots while several other throwers are throwing and then not discuss any of those throws.

I like Uli on the mike during rounds though. Jerm I could take him or leave him.

Finished watching MPO last night. Even knowing the outcome, I was still surprised how it happened in the end. Makes me wonder if the relatively open 18th fairway is the biggest mindf*** of them all. After all those tight tunnels and dense trees, having the final hole be open and reachable (for those guys) might be so alluring that it gets folks in trouble. Throughout the tournament, I certainly saw more discs wide right and left on that tee shot than I expected.

Finished watching MPO last night. Even knowing the outcome, I was still surprised how it happened in the end. Makes me wonder if the relatively open 18th fairway is the biggest mindf*** of them all. After all those tight tunnels and dense trees, having the final hole be open and reachable (for those guys) might be so alluring that it gets folks in trouble. Throughout the tournament, I certainly saw more discs wide right and left on that tee shot than I expected.

Hole 18 at 486ft is still far for most players, and with the woods on the right it´s hard to just throw a hyzer with a OS disc. . .if you can throw an OS disc 486ft on a Hyzer...most can´t

Looked like Chris threw a hair to US of a disc or just didn´t give it enough hyzer angle

Two Bogeys. . .10 Birdy and 30 Pars over the week

From what I could tell it looked like the left side was the safer miss than the right side. Only danger maybe in throwing a beefier disc would be carrying long considering it's a downhill shot?

For those that are local, does that hole typically have a headwind?

I would imagine Dickerson was trying to play a hyzerflip straight at it and was going for the birdie, and either just overcooked it or caught some headwind that flipped it more than he was expecting.

KJ looked like he threw his beat red D2 and hyzerflipped it straight at the basket.

From what I could tell it looked like the left side was the safer miss than the right side. Only danger maybe in throwing a beefier disc would be carrying long considering it's a downhill shot?

For those that are local, does that hole typically have a headwind?

I would imagine Dickerson was trying to play a hyzerflip straight at it and was going for the birdie, and either just overcooked it or caught some headwind that flipped it more than he was expecting.

KJ looked like he threw his beat red D2 and hyzerflipped it straight at the basket.

Winds vary on that hole and we don't have a lot of wind in general but I feel like there is a tailwind more often than a headwind. I was standing there when He threw and I don't remember there being any wind so even if there was it wasn't very hard.

Paige made a nice post on her Instagram, almost sound like she happy to loose to Hailey :)

Latest posts