• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

DGPT Pro Tour Championship 2020

Feel free to post it for discussion here. :eek: I don't know much about facebook.

Instagram ;)

ppierce29190

"I am a natural competitor, I find myself competing at just about everything. My past self would have never imagined that I be sitting here writing this post with such a happy heart, but I have come to realize that this huge win @kinghailey33 had at the DGPT Championship was quite possibly the best thing that could have happened for women's disc golf. I KNOW this is going to impact Haileys life, and I also know that it will impact so many others. All the young girls and women that have love for disc golf, but always thought it was something they could never make a living on, now have hope. ⁣

They have this record breaking equitable payout from the @discgolfprotour to look at and show their parents that this is a career choice. ⁣

For everyone who watched that final round, you also hopefully learned the biggest lesson in sports. Do not give up. Have confidence and push hard. There is always a chance to score a "buzzer beater". Anything is possible. Hailey was not the favorite to win this event in the general public's eye, but SHE believed she was. It is so powerful that her belief in herself lead her to come out with the title and a life size check! ⁣

I highly encourage all of you with a female figure in your life who enjoy disc golf to show them the final round and explain to them that this sport IS growing and it will be worth all the time and effort they put into their craft. ⁣

Congrats again Hailey, looking forward to battling in 2021 and many years to come. I also look forward to the influx of new women that this will inspire to take a leap and join the DGPT next year!
"

Instagram ;)

ppierce29190

"I am a natural competitor, I find myself competing at just about everything. My past self would have never imagined that I be sitting here writing this post with such a happy heart, but I have come to realize that this huge win @kinghailey33 had at the DGPT Championship was quite possibly the best thing that could have happened for women's disc golf. I KNOW this is going to impact Haileys life, and I also know that it will impact so many others. All the young girls and women that have love for disc golf, but always thought it was something they could never make a living on, now have hope. ⁣

They have this record breaking equitable payout from the @discgolfprotour to look at and show their parents that this is a career choice. ⁣

For everyone who watched that final round, you also hopefully learned the biggest lesson in sports. Do not give up. Have confidence and push hard. There is always a chance to score a "buzzer beater". Anything is possible. Hailey was not the favorite to win this event in the general public's eye, but SHE believed she was. It is so powerful that her belief in herself lead her to come out with the title and a life size check! ⁣

I highly encourage all of you with a female figure in your life who enjoy disc golf to show them the final round and explain to them that this sport IS growing and it will be worth all the time and effort they put into their craft. ⁣

Congrats again Hailey, looking forward to battling in 2021 and many years to come. I also look forward to the influx of new women that this will inspire to take a leap and join the DGPT next year!
"

Thanks Jolt. If we could only have more grown ups like Paige. Classy!!

Thanks Jolt. If we could only have more grown ups like Paige. Classy!!

Do you believe disc golf is a career choice? It might work while someone is younger but a career? I don't see it.

Do you believe disc golf is a career choice? It might work while someone is younger but a career? I don't see it.

It is getting there. Obviously playing disc golf will not be a lifetime career in and of itself but there are more opportunities to transition to something else in dg after playing than ever before.

It is getting there. Obviously playing disc golf will not be a lifetime career in and of itself but there are more opportunities to transition to something else in dg after playing than ever before.

I know some people from "back in my day" that has made a career but the percentage is very small. If a child came to me for advice on a career in disc golf I would do all I could to discourage that as a career.

You probably know I don't.

But, I do see that kids of that age do. I was taught a measure of practicality and forethought, as part of the life career decision making process. I don't think my generation is interested in passing that along.

If that kid was my own, I intend to tell them "hey do whatever makes you happy, and can scrape a living in. Working for a 'career' just due to a paycheck or a title or whatever, to fulfill peoples expectations, if it doesnt also make you happy, you can forget about."

This is coming from someone who gave up their well payed office career to work at a climbing gym. Never been happier.

If that kid was my own, I intend to tell them "hey do whatever makes you happy, and can scrape a living in. Working for a 'career' just due to a paycheck or a title or whatever, to fulfill peoples expectations, if it doesnt also make you happy, you can forget about."

This is coming from someone who gave up their well payed office career to work at a climbing gym. Never been happier.

I don't disagree with this.

I know. Felt bad as well, but that's when consulting the scores, caddy, something... to let her know a bogie would have been just fine.

All she had to do was lay up. I get the idea of having a constant attack attack aggressive no matter what strategy, but ultimately the best strategy above all is the player that can manage the balance between aggressive and conservative play. Climo had this ability in spades and was really the ace up his sleeve advantage above the competition in his heyday.

This is the crux, of why I believe, that disc golf will never be a popular spectator sport.

In terms of woods golf, probably. But woods golf isn't the future of championship event disc golf. It will be usage of existing, premier ball golf courses that will be used for our championship events. Infrastructure is already designed and built for large galleries.

And yes, disc golf will be an insanely popular spectator sport. All the trends are pointing that way. I'm just mapping out the growth, I don't need to be nostradamus to predict this, the math is already there and certain.

If I could buy stock in disc golf futures, I'd mortgage the house and everything I own and push all my chips in, no question about it.

In terms of woods golf, probably. But woods golf isn't the future of championship event disc golf. It will be usage of existing, premier ball golf courses that will be used for our championship events. Infrastructure is already designed and built for large galleries.

And yes, disc golf will be an insanely popular spectator sport. All the trends are pointing that way. I'm just mapping out the growth, I don't need to be nostradamus to predict this, the math is already there and certain.

If I could buy stock in disc golf futures, I'd mortgage the house and everything I own and push all my chips in, no question about it.

I agree with a lot of this but IMO the future is on properties built for disc golf rather than existing golf courses. The golf course thing is just a phase as these newer facilities begin to come into existence.

The future will continue to unfold where sustainable money can be made or expenses are manageable. At this point, it's still unclear what elements in our evolving disc golf ecosystem are truly financially sustainable from what may appear to be sustainable by observers not privy to the details. Manufacturers are in the best position to forecast and shape the future but are the least likely to share that information publicly for competitive reasons.

It would be kinda interesting if there was a manufacturer's title.

Points awarded towards a season title according to the top 5 players from each disc manufacturer finishing in the cash.

Last edited:
I agree with a lot of this but IMO the future is on properties built for disc golf rather than existing golf courses. The golf course thing is just a phase as these newer facilities begin to come into existence.

I don't like disc golf on golf courses, but it's not just a phase.

Disc golf on a golf course allows anyone and anywhere to host a premier event. If a company / town / club wants to host an event and has 500K to put into the purse but only a few courses with pars under 57, you better believe that event will happen at a golf course.

The golf course also is technology proof. Look what has happened to the Memorial - it's a birdie fest. Golf course can evolve as players throw further.

This trend isn't going anywhere any time soon. There are only so many places like Charlotte, Emporia, etc.

Non player spectators will enjoy the open courses more. Casual fans love the long bomb, home run, 3 point shot, etc, etc. The easy to track/view long flight of a disc is going to appeal more to casual fans than a hard to follow flex shot through the woods. I do hope the next generation of disc golf courses have a 50/50 balance of technical/open holes. No reason we can't give the casual audience some bombs while also challenging the skill set of the pros.

Non player spectators will enjoy the open courses more. Casual fans love the long bomb, home run, 3 point shot, etc, etc. The easy to track/view long flight of a disc is going to appeal more to casual fans than a hard to follow flex shot through the woods. I do hope the next generation of disc golf courses have a 50/50 balance of technical/open holes. No reason we can't give the casual audience some bombs while also challenging the skill set of the pros.

Yep. You can design ball golf courses to weave in and out of the woods and rough and be more "woodsy" golf. This course below is a great example of it. With all the bombers in the field, it was Philo with the small arm who took the field down. It can be done with smart course design.

Disc golf on a golf course allows anyone and anywhere to host a premier event. If a company / town / club wants to host an event and has 500K to put into the purse but only a few courses with pars under 57, you better believe that event will happen at a golf course.

The golf course also is technology proof. Look what has happened to the Memorial - it's a birdie fest. Golf course can evolve as players throw further.

This trend isn't going anywhere any time soon. There are only so many places like Charlotte, Emporia, etc.

The public course phase for high end play is pretty much over with a few exceptions. Golf courses are a temporary bridge to the day when disc golf dedicated private land is the focal point. It won't be here tomorrow but it is on its way.

Latest posts