• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

DGPT: The Memorial Championship presented by Discraft 27-Feb to 01-Mar-2020

Like I said, a glitch. It doesn't make sense to be rewarded less for shooting really well on harder courses, than on easier ones... and I don't really care what happens at the lower end. If you play bad, you should get bad ratings

I know ratings aren't the be all end all but some guys do shy away from certain courses because they know they have to shoot lights out to get the good ratings. I think this may be even more prevalent in the local tourneys. I know several guys who won't play events at Mt Airy because of this.

I phrased that wrong. Its that you should be rewarded more for playing great on harder courses. Playing -11 or -12 down at Idlewild should be an 1100 or close to it.

You can "WANT" ratings to be based on how each player performed relative to the course all day and all night ... but they don't. They have NEVER been designed that way. Ratings (currently in disc golf) are criterion-referenced measures; they are norm-referenced statistic. If you want something like that, you'll have to invent your own system. Ratings are 100% accurate for what they purport to do. You can't "trick the mathematics."

I like the fact that theoretically acing every hole at Idlewild (6 points per stroke) would rate about 1300 and theoretically acing every hole at Fountain (10 points per stroke) would rate about 1320.

Unless the same group of propagators are playing, we can't tell what the ratings "would have been".

You can "WANT" ratings to be based on how each player performed relative to the course all day and all night ... but they don't. They have NEVER been designed that way. Ratings (currently in disc golf) are criterion-referenced measures; they are norm-referenced statistic. If you want something like that, you'll have to invent your own system. Ratings are 100% accurate for what they purport to do. You can't "trick the mathematics."
...and... again... There's a glitch. What you just typed doesn't change that.

The ratings at Fountain are inflated because there is a glitch in the rating system. There is no way that shooting -12 at Idlewild should be 1071, if shooting -15 at Fountain on a more or less calm day is 1092... and it's not like Idlewild doesn't have enough OB to help inflate ratings like Fountain has, there is OB all over that course... not to mention these things called trees.
Please read the section: Getting Down and Murky with the Stats in this article help you better understand the issues and continue on to Fair Ways Part 3 for further explanation. At a basic level, the more throws in the game, the lower the percentage value of each throw in the total. Simple example, if SSA is 50 like Fountain, each 1000 rated throw is 1/50 or 2.0% of the total. When the SSA is 70, closer to Idlewild, each 1000 rated throw is 1/70 or 1.4% of the total. Rating points per throw, that changes based on how high the SSA, are similar to percentages with more explanation in the linked article.

Please read the section: Getting Down and Murky with the Stats in this article help you better understand the issues and continue on to Fair Ways Part 3 for further explanation. At a basic level, the more throws in the game, the lower the percentage value of each throw in the total. Simple example, if SSA is 50 like Fountain, each 1000 rated throw is 1/50 or 2.0% of the total. When the SSA is 70, closer to Idlewild, each 1000 rated throw is 1/70 or 1.4% of the total. Rating points per throw, that changes based on how high the SSA, are similar to percentages with more explanation in the linked article.

I understand the system and when you designed it, it was probably the best way to go... But its time for a change. Disc technology has changed. The player's talent level has changed and quite frankly, course design has changed. When all these very talented guys are playing intermediate level courses, in near perfect conditions, it creates badly flawed ratings. You can't hope that the wind will pick up and keep the scores down any longer. There needs to be an adjustment of some kind.

I think Brutus' concern is that the lower ratings expectations at Idlewild will cause some top players to skip the tournament (btw, IIRC brutus is a volunteer there).

As I understand it, some player contracts contain a bonus for reaching/maintaining a certain rating. Hence players have an incentive to skip tournaments at more difficult (high SSA) courses. The correct "business" decision for the player on the cusp of a ratings-based bonus might be to play a b-tier, do a clinic, and sell some plastic. Does the PDGA want to encourage that strategy? Of course, this was not foreseeable when the ratings system was incorporated.

I think Brutus' concern is that the lower ratings expectations at Idlewild will cause some top players to skip the tournament (btw, IIRC brutus is a volunteer there).

As I understand it, some player contracts contain a bonus for reaching/maintaining a certain rating. Hence players have an incentive to skip tournaments at more difficult (high SSA) courses. The correct "business" decision for the player on the cusp of a ratings-based bonus might be to play a b-tier, do a clinic, and sell some plastic. Does the PDGA want to encourage that strategy? Of course, this was not foreseeable when the ratings system was incorporated.
As we've pointed out time and again, players tend to average their ratings over a year whether it's a high SSA or lower SSA course. The only difference is the range of ratings you can earn above and below your rating narrows, the higher the SSA. So the ideal ratings plan is to play open, shorter OB courses on your good days and Idlewild and Iron Hill on your bad days because you'll have both during a year. If you do the exact opposite, your rating will go down. Of course, if you were good enough to predict your good and bad days, play the shorter open courses on your good days and just play practice courses on your bad days. ;)

...and... again... There's a glitch. What you just typed doesn't change that.

No glitch. It's mathematics. It's not right, it's not wrong; it's just math.
We can like it or dislike it, but that doesn't change the fact that it is a mathematical formula that has no glitches.

No glitch. It's mathematics. It's not right, it's not wrong; it's just math.
We can like it or dislike it, but that doesn't change the fact that it is a mathematical formula that has no glitches.

The glitch isn't about math. The glitch is, its outdated... and for a number of reasons I laid out in the above response to Chuck.

Now if you want to stop tour events from playing on short, wide open Intermediate level courses, then fine, we can keep the system as is.

The glitch isn't about math. The glitch is, its outdated... and for a number of reasons I laid out in the above response to Chuck.

Now if you want to stop tour events from playing on short, wide open Intermediate level courses, then fine, we can keep the system as is.
Percentage-like calculations aren't out dated. Any other ratings calculations that were meaningful would come up with the same issues> longer courses, more shots, narrower range of ratings on whatever scale you use.

The issue is none of the tours require players to play the same mix of courses to earn their points. For example, all NBA or MLB teams get to play the same number of home and away games. If any of our tours wanted similar balance, their tour would require that players play so many events on Idlewild, Maple Hill or Iron Hill type courses and so many on ball golf temp type courses, Lake Eureka or the Memorial.

As it is right now, players can choose the type of courses and events they want to play, skip certain ones, and still earn enough points to make finals or win yearend cash awards. And of course, they have bonuses to consider. Forget about ratings, if you don't play a course in the woods well or wooded courses in general, you won't play it/them if it's possible to avoid it/them.

Just woke up, just hate that i can´t watch the last round live :(

Looks like Paige just put it in "cruise control" i R4 and still has the hot round and again a +1000 rated round...just insane performance from PP, she "destroys" the field

On the MPO it looks like Eagle was one behing going in th the last hole and HAD to go for it? And he throw before Calvin?
Then i guess Eagle went for it from the drop zone and did go OB long?

Odd stats. .

Paige shot a 55 in R4 rated 1017 this year. . last year she also shot a 55 in R4 but that time it was rated 1001

Eagle shot a 52 in R4 rated 1043 this year. . last year he also shot a 52 in R4, that was rated 1046

So both Paige and Eagle shot the same score in R4 both 2020 and 2019
But Paiges was rated higher in 2020, Eagles round was rated lower??

And its just insane that Paige shot the same score in R4 both 2019 and 2020. . and still got a 26 shots better total in 2020

Latest posts