• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

DGPT: 2022 OTB Open May 20-22

The cool thing is the chat stream is optionally visible. I watch in full screen mode to get a bigger picture and not see the chat. Sometimes I switch back to the chat stream when things happen on a hole to see what kind of chatter occurs.

Yep, agreed. I usually use the full screen and occasionally I will check to see what silliness people say about random happenings. For example, last night when Ian had that sick burn about not having called Calvin and also when that spotter stepped on Calvin's disc by mistake.

Last edited:
Yep, agreed. I usually use the full screen and occasionally I will check to see what silliness people say. For example, last night when Ian had that sick burn about not having called Calvin and also when that spotter stepped on Calvin's disc by mistake.
Then there was Drew's foot fault where he didn't lift his foot off the OB line before releasing his throw. BTW, not sure we need the rule where a player has to have all points in contact with the ground inbounds at the time of release. What purpose does it serve, especially with all of the arbitrary OB lines on normally inbounds terrain?

Last edited:
Then there was Drew's foot fault where he didn't lift his foot off the OB line before releasing his throw. BTW, not sure we need the rule where a player has to have all points in contact with the ground inbounds at the time of release. What purpose does it serve, especially with all of the arbitrary OB lines on normally inbounds terrain?
You would know better than I, but I was always told that rule was to keep you from throwing with your feet in the water since a lot of OB was creeks.

You would know better than I, but I was always told that rule was to keep you from throwing with your feet in the water since a lot of OB was creeks.
The rules give you the option to mark up to a meter from OB so you theoretically have enough room to take a stance. But if you want more room and are okay with having a foot in OB or in contact with the OB line, why not allow it versus having this additional "gotcha" ruling to watch, especially when you also have to watch the foot on the lie?

Yep, agreed. I usually use the full screen and occasionally I will check to see what silliness people say about random happenings. For example, last night when Ian had that sick burn about not having called Calvin and also when that spotter stepped on Calvin's disc by mistake.

I had to re-watch that about 5 times, I was laughing so hard. EK is gonna need some aloe vera for that burn.

I missed the spotter stepping on Vinny's disc.

The rules give you the option to mark up to a meter from OB so you theoretically have enough room to take a stance. But if you want more room and are okay with having a foot in OB or in contact with the OB line, why not allow it versus having this additional "gotcha" ruling to watch, especially when you also have to watch the foot on the lie?

That's worth discussing. Start a new thread in the Rule section.

I had to re-watch that about 5 times, I was laughing so hard. EK is gonna need some aloe vera for that burn.

I missed the spotter stepping on Vinny's disc.

Pretty hilarious stuff.

The spotter thing was on his very last shot, the one where he landed that sidearm about 15 feet to the left of the pin.

The spotter was giving the green flag and looking outwards instead of at the ground, so he just trampled right over it haha. He definitely stepped on it because you could see it flop up in the air a bit. But, it didn't move it and most people didn't seem to notice, not a big deal. I only saw a handful of people mention it in the chat.

I prefer chat because it helps to fill downtime.

Its the internet. You can ignore stupid comments. And trust that the moderators will stomp on anything worth stomping on.

Works on this very forum too. Go ahead try either. I'll ignore your stupidity like nobodys business. The other stuff I'll leave to the mods.

IMO DGPT should turn off the comments for all broadcasts.

The cool thing is the chat stream is optionally visible . I watch in full screen mode to get a bigger picture and not see the chat. Sometimes I switch back to the chat stream when things happen on a hole to see what kind of chatter occurs.

I rarely watch the chat but I hope the DGPT keeps it turned on.

I like free speech more than I dislike hate speech. Haters and morons should be allowed to chat.

Last edited:
I rarely watch the chat but I hope the DGPT keeps it turned on.

I like free speech more than I dislike hate speech. Haters and morons should be allowed to chat.

There's no live chat on DGN. No live chat on Jomez. No live chat on television. Having live chat on YouTube Live is a privilege, not a right.

IMO DGPT should turn off the comments for all broadcasts.
It serves zero useful purpose and provides a platform for idiocy that works to the detriment of the end goal.
I agree that the live stream chats are absolute idiocy. Full of uneducated newbies and trolls.

That said, if they want to grow as much as possible, they gotta leave it. You'd be surprised how many people only watch live streams if they can chat... it's a huge thing in the streaming world.
It also plays a big role in the whether or not the YouTube algorithm pushes a live stream as "trending" to the masses.

This is very long, overall, and somewhat spastic... but this live stream basically covers the variety of ways that YouTube's algorithms push streams:

This fellow typically streams videos of himself demonstrating exploits that make games pretty much a cake walk. But he decided to do a stream here to demonstrate the exploits that'll get a live stream trending on YouTube. He has the people in his chat/watching the stream basically perform actions to push his stream to the top, and then explains how the trending system functions as they do it. Note - lots of hysterical laughter and yelling so its not exactly the most relaxing video.

There's no live chat on DGN. No live chat on Jomez. No live chat on television. Having live chat on YouTube Live is a privilege, not a right.

It's neither of those things, live chat is just a feature for consumers that private companies offer to entice viewers to increase ad revenue. If it helps increase revenue they'll probably keep it, if it turns people away, they'll probably cut it. Right now the compromise these corporations seem to be doing is that people can just like turn it off if they don't like it or like....not look at it.

It's neither of those things, live chat is just a feature for consumers that private companies offer to entice viewers to increase ad revenue. If it helps increase revenue they'll probably keep it, if it turns people away, they'll probably cut it. Right now the compromise these corporations seem to be doing is that people can just like turn it off if they don't like it or like....not look at it.

Agreed. "Privilege, not a right" is glib way of stating it that's not really accurate on their side. Viewers have come to expect it because it exists, not because they feel entitled to it.

Fun watch, good tournament. I like the changes to the course for this year. It seems like they added more variety and challenge compared to last year, but kept it a fair test of skill.

The live chat is dumb but it can be entertaining. Too crowded with losers, but what are you going to do? So in summary: the live chat is a perfect allegory for Disc Golf itself.

No comments on the trophies yet? Ok, I'll start: those were super lame.
It's exactly what the pros at most levels really want, inexpensive tokens versus big, expensive trophies that reduce the purse. Although they enjoy events with a nice permanent trophy where they get their name etched on it with previous winners.

It's exactly what the pros at most levels really want, inexpensive tokens versus big, expensive trophies that reduce the purse, except for events with nice permanent trophies where they get their name etched on it with previous winners.

There has to be something in between "big, expensive trophies" and "custom disc"

No comments on the trophies yet? Ok, I'll start: those were super lame.

I think they had the right idea, honestly. Most of these disc golfers don't even own houses to put their trophies in anyway. And the ones that do probably don't care that they won a trophy anyway. How much room do they have in their vans for trophies?

Latest posts