• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

DGPT: Nick Hyde

Clearly, they cancelled so Paul would get the win. :D

I had the same thought as Ricky. It looked at 4:00, their start time, that things were clear. So, who do you let play? Top card alone? What about the guys on card three that were gonna make a run while Ricky and Paul crashed in the muddy conditions? It seems easy, but unless you're only invested in the top card or two, everyone else gets screwed.

I initially thought that by cutting to 72 players in MPO, they left open the possibility of a shotgun start and later start time. So everyone could have started at 3:30 or 4:00 with time to finish the round. Just what I had speculated, though.

They clearly could not have started on tee times that late.

I initially thought that by cutting to 72 players in MPO, they left open the possibility of a shotgun start and later start time. So everyone could have started at 3:30 or 4:00 with time to finish the round. Just what I had speculated, though.

They clearly could not have started on tee times that late.

That could have been a possibility if it was only the MPO players that needed to play the 3rd round. Don't forget that FPO was in the midst of their round when the delays began. That's another 20 players with a varying number of holes to complete, so there's 5-6 holes occupied at the re-start that couldn't be used by MPO in a shotgun fashion. MPM might have been in the same situation, removing more holes from a potential MPO shotgun start.

I have to think that the cut to 72 was simply a round number, and there was no thought of using a shotgun start to try to finish. Perhaps the best plan they could have used to get that third round in would have been to cut everyone outside the cash bubble (71 players across the five divisions by my count) and shotgun start the round at 8am or something. As I recall the first delay was just before noon. They might have been able to get it done if they went that route, but they'd have had to make that call on Saturday afternoon/evening.

That could have been a possibility if it was only the MPO players that needed to play the 3rd round. Don't forget that FPO was in the midst of their round when the delays began. That's another 20 players with a varying number of holes to complete, so there's 5-6 holes occupied at the re-start that couldn't be used by MPO in a shotgun fashion. MPM might have been in the same situation, removing more holes from a potential MPO shotgun start.

I have to think that the cut to 72 was simply a round number, and there was no thought of using a shotgun start to try to finish. Perhaps the best plan they could have used to get that third round in would have been to cut everyone outside the cash bubble (71 players across the five divisions by my count) and shotgun start the round at 8am or something. As I recall the first delay was just before noon. They might have been able to get it done if they went that route, but they'd have had to make that call on Saturday afternoon/evening.

Yes, I recognize that. But I was assuming that if they had to have a long delay then resume, they'd call off the other divisions, and let them finish with two rounds of scores, and make the MPO play the third round (72 players) with a shotgun start.

Yes, I recognize that. But I was assuming that if they had to have a long delay then resume, they'd call off the other divisions, and let them finish with two rounds of scores, and make the MPO play the third round (72 players) with a shotgun start.

What makes MPO so special that they wouldn't be called off when the rest are?

If they were going to cancel the final round for select divisions but have others play it, why not let the divisions already in progress (everyone but MPO) finish their rounds and just cancel the divisions that hadn't started yet? After all, they'd already done that to half the MPO field by making the cut to 72.

What makes MPO so special that they wouldn't be called off when the rest are?

If they were going to cancel the final round for select divisions but have others play it, why not let the divisions already in progress (everyone but MPO) finish their rounds and just cancel the divisions that hadn't started yet? After all, they'd already done that to half the MPO field by making the cut to 72.

I'm not saying I agree with it, it's just the way it is. I'm a grandmaster, and in all the big events I've competed in, there's no "let's try to treat all divisions equally or even close to equally". MPO is the show. We old guys see it all the time. They're playing for the most money and that takes precedent. And I was thinking that was why the arbitrary 72 number was chosen. Maybe I am still too cynical but Indidnt think that knoll was very grassy.

I'm not saying I agree with it, it's just the way it is. I'm a grandmaster, and in all the big events I've competed in, there's no "let's try to treat all divisions equally or even close to equally". MPO is the show. We old guys see it all the time. They're playing for the most money and that takesprecedent. And I was thinking that was why the arbitrary 72 number was chosen. Maybe I am still too cynical but Indidnt think that knoll was very grassy.

It takes skill and wit to tie disc golf to the grassy knoll.