• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

DGPT: Nick Hyde

It's honestly gonna take someone getting killed or someone's career / life ruined to make players stop complaining about things like this.

Try explaining to a dead/injured player's family and friends why you didn't call call the round, knowing there was dangerous weather, so that the competitors could "battle it out." Lightning will kill you.

If the TD doesn't call it, just walk off...DNF.

Biscoe and JC are right ... players' safety is #1 ... even when they criticise you for making it so. Much easier to live with critical players and spectators than grieving families of the deceased.

It's honestly gonna take someone getting killed or someone's career / life ruined to make players stop complaining about things like this.

True. Either that, or a huge influx of money so that players aren't as bothered by the loss of a couple hundred bucks because they weren't able to jump up a couple more spots in the standings. While Ricky's a fierce competitor and no doubt he wanted to be able to compete yesterday, I have to believe finances play a role in his (and probably other's) frustration.

I spectated all day Saturday, even dry that course has some serious elevation changes that were already slippery. Simon was right for being happy not to walk that course again after the rain. Someone would have slipped, fallen, etc, for sure.

Something like this:

Unearthed-SockMonster-1307-1-web.jpg

Okay Streets, now you have to tell us exactly what that sock monster does to it's victims, sans water that is.

One thing to remember, when Ricky or Paul says something they shouldn't oughta, we got it written up or in an interview. When other less visual guys say the same thing, we aren't gonna get it.

The real question:
How does Streets' Sock Monster stack up against the one and only Sock Bomb?

I live a few hours East, and the storm was pretty bad. I will play in some rain if it's not coming down hard, but I didn't even think about playing yesterday. It did clear up quicker than expected and some of the locals played afterwards, but that's not something you can plan for, they made the right call.

Which is also exactly the reason why they should zip it.

Exactly. It's not as though Ricky was venting to a friend, and the friend went and wrote an article or blasted the conversation on social media. Ricky was speaking to literally the ONLY print reporter in disc golf. Saying it to Steve is as good as posting it on his own Facebook/Twitter/Instagram accounts. Plenty of other pros made social media posts about the cancellation of the round, and none that I saw called it a bad decision. Whether that is because they understood and agreed with it or just realized no good would come of publicly complaining, who knows.

Wysocki could have also completely blew it in the bad conditions and lost even more money.

Latitude needs to get this kid a media coach stat.
Over the years Rick has proven pretty stable in horrific conditions. You're right, there was a chance he'd blow it - but over the years he has consistently been the one who didn't. I remember his first Hambrick win he broke the course record in a windy downpour.

Not that I disagree with your sentiment the rest of the way or the existence of that possibility.

One thing to remember, when Ricky or Paul says something they shouldn't oughta, we got it written up or in an interview. When other less visual guys say the same thing, we aren't gonna get it.

When Paul or Ricky say it to a reporter we get it. If they say it to their friends we do not. Some people get dealing with media, some do not.

When Paul or Ricky say it to a reporter we get it. If they say it to their friends we do not. Some people get dealing with media, some do not.

It's not that I disagree, as street said, they need to manage this, or be managed. The notion that what these guys say has import, is only a couple of years old. The major sports franchises, upon signing talent, give them a course on talking in public. These guys are just getting there. And frankly, in a social media world, even experienced guys blow it at times. Expecting our pros to have it done already is asking a good bit. I'd think as adults, maybe we can cut them a widdle bit of slack. Na, let's pound our feet and call them babies. In a public forum of course.

It would be interesting to see what the DGPT uses to make their decision. Do they look at a static weather forecast or are they looking at radar? Clearly the radar showed when the storm would have cleared up in their area.

I have worked for a few large events and we have always used static webpage forecasts but also radar and reaching out to talk with the local weather office. If the skies cleared soon after the call was made it begs one to ask what data did they base their decision on.

It's not that I disagree, as street said, they need to manage this, or be managed. The notion that what these guys say has import, is only a couple of years old. The major sports franchises, upon signing talent, give them a course on talking in public. These guys are just getting there. And frankly, in a social media world, even experienced guys blow it at times. Expecting our pros to have it done already is asking a good bit. I'd think as adults, maybe we can cut them a widdle bit of slack. Na, let's pound our feet and call them babies. In a public forum of course.

No one to my knowledge has called anyone a "baby". There are a lot of aspects to being a professional regardless of your chosen profession. Being really really good at throwing frisbees is only one part of the equation for these guys unless they want to continue as the "Not ready for prime time players".

To me, it's not a media thing or a matter of players learning how to deal with/talk to the media. That it was a player talking to a reporter just happens to be the latest incarnation of an issue that has long been a "thing" in our game.

Biscoe alluded to it already: players like to bitch. Often they do it without thinking things out and without consideration of the impact their words might have (right or wrong), whether they're high profile pros or just another voice on a local club message board. It happens often enough or gets loud enough, good people end up walking away.

To me, it's not a media thing or a matter of players learning how to deal with/talk to the media. That it was a player talking to a reporter just happens to be the latest incarnation of an issue that has long been a "thing" in our game.

Biscoe alluded to it already: players like to bitch. Often they do it without thinking things out and without consideration of the impact their words might have (right or wrong), whether they're high profile pros or just another voice on a local club message board. It happens often enough or gets loud enough, good people end up walking away.

So, what biscoe and others here were saying is that it might hurt the sport? They weren't calling Ricky out? Got it. The notion occurs to me that if you're commenting about something one of the top two players in the world is saying, in a public forum that is accessed by a lot of people who might get a negative impression, you might want to write it carefully saying something like, "we should all help protect the sport by speaking and writing carefully.". I was misled into my misunderstanding by the directness of the posts. Sorry.

Can I get a list of the good people who've walked away because of something a pro said about not calling off a tournament?