• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

DGPT Silver Series: 2021 Resistance Discs Open June 11-13

aredoubles

Birdie Member
Gold level trusted reviewer
According to the DGScene comments they are going to use a slightly modified layout from the one they use at the Oregon State Championships post above, with a couple new tees and baskets and a course preview should be coming shortly.

Well... we get one alternate basket location for this event... rounds 1 and 3, hole 4 will be in the long and rd2 it will be in the short...

...and it's definitely not one of those..."it just makes the hole 50-100' longer but its the same shot" type of short basket...

4.jpg

Having now watched that 1/2 of the practice round, I again have a question that's been rattling around in my brain for a little bit.

Is Trojan Park an "interesting" course? This is obviously motivated by the common complaint bout ball golf course conversions, that they are not interesting courses.

And when I look at the first half of this course, I'm not sure much separates it from a conversion course other than aesthetics and a few holes that have thicker rough that can come in to play, but that tends not to. They are throwing into big wide open spaces, for the most part, with a few trees mixed in here and there affecting the line.

Is there really that much difference between throwing over an actual lake and a string "lake", practically speaking? And if I'm being honest, I think the aesthetics matter. An actual pond is more satisfying than a big sea of tall grass, which is better than an area bounded by a cart path, which is better than a string or chalk line. I suppose it plays different on the margins, due to effects of the lake on air conditions, but I don't think that's the big advantage. It just feels more visceral to look at a place you can lose a disc. I'm not sure that aesthetics should matter that much, but I think they ultimately do.

(Not sure if this is the right thread for this question, maybe it belong in its own thread.)

Is there really that much difference between throwing over an actual lake and a string "lake", practically speaking?...

Yes. Both because of the mental challenge of potentially losing a disc, and because the air over a real lake acts differently - making it a different throw than over grass.

Friday's round 1 feature cards... All times Pacific

MPO:

Jomez... 12:50pm Scott Withers | Nate Sexton | Adam Hammes | Ben Callaway

CH Sports... 12:30pm Ezra Aderhold | Paul Ulibarri | James Proctor | Ty Love

FPO:

BDUB Pro... 1:40pm Deann Carey | Kat Mertsch | Britney Quesenberry | Amy Lewis

Sunday final round live on DGN

Another tourney to avoid watching. Think i've watched three tourneys this year, the rest has just been open snooze courses.

Latest posts