• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Different Top 10 Lists.. debate/discuss

Great lists. We really need a way to categorize these courses correctly. What is the minimum number of wooded holes needed for a course to be heavily wooded? Johnson Road Park in Germantown Tenn according to a review has 9 wooded holes and is labeled Heavily wooded. Valentine park in Tenn according to a review has 12 wooded holes and is labeled moderately wooded. Should there be a guideline for this. In my opinion a course should have at least 12 wooded holes(66% of total holes) in order to be called Heavily wooded. For the worst courses maybe we should have a lower minimum just so Conjoe Valley YMCA in California could make it. Towne Lake in TX is known more as a Heavily wooded course rather than a flat 1. What about Nockamixon in Penn. Also what about top 10 private courses?

Last edited:
I agree with your addition of Tyler in Newtown, PA. That course is the definition of wooded...plus it's unbelievably maintained and tons of fun to play.

I thought 3 9 holers in the same park was cheesey also but Ive never been there...perhaps they are different areas of park or are they next to one another?

Nope I call BS as well...this map looks like it could be one massive 36 hole monster or 2 very good 18s but instead its 4 9 holers! I thought it was fishy as well...but I am sure theres a reason for it being listed this way?

when we were there for worlds years ago the brewer courses were one 18 with a temp 9. it definitely isn't really 4 different courses. also appears overrated to me.

Top 10 courses with Rustic Tees (dirt, grass, natural)

Beaver Ranch/Conifer Park Conifer, CO

Phantom Falls Pine, CO

Foundation Park DG Complex - Champ 18 Centralia, IL

Sundance Trail Ranch DGC Red Feather Lakes, CO

Walnut Creek Park Charlottesville, VA

Black Diamond DGC @ Emery Park South Wales, NY

Trophy Lakes Charleston (Johns Island), SC

Golden Hills DGC Blacksburg, VA

Humboldt State University Arcata, CA

Devens DGC Devens, MA

White Oak Park Dallas, GA

* The following courses may belong on this list if they do not have rubber, gravel, concrete, asphalt, woodchips, or otherwise man made tees on any of their holes.(there was no way to discern this)
The Woodshed Paw Paw, WV
Ashe County Park Jefferson, NC
Lucky Mud DGC Skamokawa, WA
Beaver Meadows DGC Red Feather Lakes, CO
Mason County Park - Beauty Ludington, MI
The Grange - Sunnyside Spotsylvania, VA

woodshed and sunnyside both have stone dust tees. ones at the grange are very good. ones on the woodshed are average at least.

I've played Mountlake Terrace, it's hard to believe it belongs in a bottom ten list. The layout is odd the way it crosses the road and winds in and around the neighborhood, and I've heard that it's gotten rundown, but it had some nice holes, including an epic downhill that used to be #18. The absolute worst course I ever played was a pay-to-play 12 hole course near Arcadia Maine called The Happy Banana. This site is 15 years too late 'cuz it would have saved me a 50 minute drive over to that POS.

I forgot about Par Infinity, that had to make the woods course list because there are no woods like that anywhere else. Another honorable mention on that list would be The Beast and Enman field in Brunswick Maine, that course was carved out of some of the thickest woods you'll find

I will say i was very sad to see Mesker Park get the boot from the top 10 wooded courses as it is my current home course. I love that course...hate the trees (but don't say you hate the trees there while you are playing because everyone I have played with that has done that hits just about every tree after making the statement). Regardless to see that it was at the top 10 for a brief moment was awesome to see because they course is getting better every year.

the tones and wild set up are hard to get over when you think about that course too. i liked the course and think it is fun, but i still mainly remember being confused and a little disappointed.

That's why reviews like mine say that you need a guide, also why I signed up for being a guide for the Curtain.

What's requirement for being designated a "woods" course? The Whipping Post at Paw Paw is predominently wooded and I'd put it my top ten overall.

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course_files/1910/9c7a365c.gif

I have played Paw Paw 2x and whippin' post only has 11 true woods holes.In fact the final 5 holes there are amongst the most open I have ever played.....that being said the 11 wooded holes are so extreme and so tree laden that my memory and everyone's memory is permanently scarred and all we can ever think of is the trees at Paw Paw we are forever tricked into thinking that Paw Paw is the hardest woods course we ever played. I am sure I have never hit more trees in my career despite both courses having exactly 18 wide open holes and 18 woods holes! I shudder at the word Paw Paw it truly lives up to it's nickname Wap Wap!

The absolute worst course I ever played was a pay-to-play 12 hole course near Arcadia Maine called The Happy Banana. This site is 15 years too late 'cuz it would have saved me a 50 minute drive over to that POS.

I think I found the Happy Banana!

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=3409&mode=ci

Again I am encoraging NE DGers to please get more involved in the site and write reviews..however short to help us out......C'mon it's a damn blizzard it's time to be writing reviews!

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course_files/1910/9c7a365c.gif

I have played Paw Paw 2x and whippin' post only has 11 true woods holes.In fact the final 5 holes there are amongst the most open I have ever played.....that being said the 11 wooded holes are so extreme and so tree laden that my memory and everyone's memory is permanently scarred and all we can ever think of is the trees at Paw Paw we are forever tricked into thinking that Paw Paw is the hardest woods course we ever played. I am sure I have never hit more trees in my career despite both courses having exactly 18 wide open holes and 18 woods holes! I shudder at the word Paw Paw it truly lives up to it's nickname Wap Wap!

11 = predominate no? Are you agreeing or disagreeing? The front of sides of both of the Grange courses are pretty tight (and then the pachenko hole on the back) but they're not as tough as the WP to me. The old French Creek course in PA was pretty tight, I haven't played it since the redesign but I've heard it may be up there.

I think you're right about the mental damage inflicted by some of those Paw Paw holes, even if the Gauntlet was the only woods hole on the Woodshed you'd think of it as a woods course.;)

Great lists. We really need a way to categorize these courses correctly. What is the minimum number of wooded holes needed for a course to be heavily wooded? Johnson Road Park in Germantown Tenn according to a review has 9 wooded holes and is labeled Heavily wooded. Valentine park in Tenn according to a review has 12 wooded holes and is labeled moderately wooded. Should there be a guideline for this. In my opinion a course should have at least 12 wooded holes(66% of total holes) in order to be called Heavily wooded. For the worst courses maybe we should have a lower minimum just so Conjoe Valley YMCA in California could make it. Towne Lake in TX is known more as a Heavily wooded course rather than a flat 1. What about Nockamixon in Penn. Also what about top 10 private courses?

It would be cool if there was a specific guideline to guide us in this but theres not...I started a thread in the past about this topic and many were indifferent and thoughts of what a hill were, and what co0nstitues wooded seem to change from region to region and from reviewer to reviewer...I think mixed is a better word for those courses that are both open holes and wooded......I realize it's probably too late (hey we added water data for each hole) now but my .02 in hindsight for this would be as follows:

Hole Foliage (each hole would be designated...much like water holes)

Jungle-unmaintained forrest
Dense-plays thru forrest w/fairways
Moderate-park like trees
Sparse-minimal trees
Open-sky course
Mixed-those field into woods holes/woods to field

Hole Elevation (each hole would be designated...same as above)

Xtreme Downhill
Xtreme Uphill
Uphill-noticeable rise in elevation
Downhill-noticeable drop in elevation
Undulating-rolling terrain and valley to valley shots
Pancake-flat terrain

From these a formula could be derived and courses could be given a more appropriate label

Again these are the ramblings of a snowbound easterner with much time on his hands...nothing wrong with the user driven data I'm just speculating ideas....I have gone to courses and be surprised that it was marked lightly wooded when there was some glorious wooded holes there (Wickham CT)and wonder if anyone else feels the same.

11 = predominate no? Are you agreeing or disagreeing? The front of sides of both of the Grange courses are pretty tight (and then the pachenko hole on the back) but they're not as tough as the WP to me. The old French Creek course in PA was pretty tight, I haven't played it since the redesign but I've heard it may be up there.

I think you're right about the mental damage inflicted by some of those Paw Paw holes, even if the Gauntlet was the only woods hole on the Woodshed you'd think of it as a woods course.;)

French Creek is truly a Heavily wooded course as there is not one open hole on that course now. I think a designation for each hole would help in this pursuit much like the water designation for each hole....several ideas abound I listed one earlier.....it could be as simple as this as well

Fairway:

Tight
Reasonable
Ample
Sky

11 woods holes to me is not a heavily wooded course especially when the final 5 are true sky golf.

The following courses may belong on this list if they do not have rubber, gravel, concrete, asphalt, woodchips, or otherwise man made tees on any of their holes.(there was no way to discern this)

Beaver Meadows DGC - Red Feather Lakes, CO

Definitely all dirt tees at Beaver Meadows (if my memory serves me correctly)

This may sound crazy, but I judge how open a course is by how much sun I get. I'm really fair skinned, and get sunburned easily. I prefer wooded courses for mainly this reason, especially in the summer. Maybe we could come up with a rating system that involved bottles of sunblock for us future skin cancer patients.

This may sound crazy, but I judge how open a course is by how much sun I get. I'm really fair skinned, and get sunburned easily. I prefer wooded courses for mainly this reason, especially in the summer. Maybe we could come up with a rating system that involved bottles of sunblock for us future skin cancer patients.

My brother had skin cancer...I take every precaution as well long sleeves and big ole goofy hat.....Exposure to sun is a valid point....pics help me but I'm laughing at the exposure scale we could come up with!

SPF 50-
http://www.dgcoursereview.com/view_image.php?p=course_pics/917/e5c39d42.jpg

SPF 15-
http://www.dgcoursereview.com/view_image.php?p=course_pics/20/7917ffb2.jpg

SPF 4-
http://www.dgcoursereview.com/view_image.php?p=course_pics/192/5c616665.jpg

Baby Oil-

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/view_image.php?p=course_pics/1371/0f28c92b.jpg

My brother had skin cancer...I take every precaution as well long sleeves and big ole goofy hat.....Exposure to sun is a valid point....pics help me but I'm laughing at the exposure scale we could come up with!

SPF 50-
http://www.dgcoursereview.com/view_image.php?p=course_pics/917/e5c39d42.jpg

SPF 15-
http://www.dgcoursereview.com/view_image.php?p=course_pics/20/7917ffb2.jpg

SPF 4-
http://www.dgcoursereview.com/view_image.php?p=course_pics/192/5c616665.jpg

Baby Oil-

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/view_image.php?p=course_pics/1371/0f28c92b.jpg

Nice!

My Mom has had a couple of run ins with skin cancer, and I've already had a few things froze off my face, and a couple of biopsies done on suspicious looking spots. I got to thinking this when I read someone mention Renny as a wooded course, and I remember thinking "damn this sun" the first time I played there. Plenty of open space there, not as bad as Winthrop, but way more open than Reedy Creek, or Killborne.

I forgot about Par Infinity, that had to make the woods course list because there are no woods like that anywhere else.

:hfive:Thanks for the props, we do have a great course here. But the course name is The Redwood Curtain. Par Infinity is the name of our local club.

Latest posts