• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Different Top 10 Lists.. debate/discuss

LOST GEMS
Top 10 EXTINCT Free-to-Play Public Courses

Jenny Wiley State Resort Park, Prestonburg KY

Blistering Pines, Statesboro, Ga

Northern Arizona University, Flagstaff Az

Quisenberry DGC, Corinth, Tx

Kensington Metro, Milford, MI

Willow River State Park, Hudson, WI

Copper Mountain Resort, Frisco, Co

Crawford Memorial Park, Dallas, Tx

Woodstock Rocks, Woodstock, NY

French Creek-Pleasure Mtn, Birdsboro, Pa

an interesting list with many of these resurfacing as grander courses on site and a few lost to history...would be good to research what went wrong with these before making the plunge and building a new course

LOST GEMS

Jenny Wiley State Resort Park, Prestonburg KY

Blistering Pines, Statesboro, Ga

Northern Arizona University, Flagstaff Az

Quisenberry DGC, Corinth, Tx

Willow River State Park, Hudson, WI

Copper Mountain Resort, Frisco, Co

Crawford Memorial Park, Dallas, Tx

Woodstock Rocks, Woodstock, NY

French Creek-Pleasure Mtn, Birdsboro, Pa

an interesting list with many of these resurfacing as grander courses on site and a few lost to history...would be good to research what went wrong with these before making the plunge and building a new course

I was headed to a party in Hudson tonight and I stopped in and had a chat with the guy in the state park office from Willow River State Park. I noticed the course had been removed from DGCR recently so I wanted to get the whole story. This could easily be moved to any of the discussion about promoting the sport or anti drug conversations. I spent about 5 minutes talking to the guy and I started out by asking if the course was still there. He said No and didnt want to give much info, it was a straight forward no. I said what was the reason . . . was it a state issue, was it an environmental issue? He said well basically there was too much goofing around in a state park. Drug use, drinking and drunken behavior. Damaging the nature and plant material on the course. He said basically it was one thing taking away from the state park (for all people) and with tightening budgets and such, he was having to do more work to try and keep the disc course policed. It was funny because he said he was "the guy" who got the course removed. He must have been a bigwig there . . not sure of the hierarchy in state park management. I went on to talk about the positives in the sport to try and help repair what apparently some of these locals had done. I wasn't going to change his mind about the sport, but at least I hope I left a good impression, so that if it ever comes up again, he or whoever may be in charge at that time might have a little better impression of the sport.

I had to mention this when I see that it was one of the better courses that had been extinct. Unfortunately for the standard reasons the game isnt accepted, and occassionally courses get removed for those reasons. I heard it first hand from the guy who had this course removed!

I was headed to a party in Hudson tonight and I stopped in and had a chat with the guy in the state park office from Willow River State Park. I noticed the course had been removed from DGCR recently so I wanted to get the whole story. This could easily be moved to any of the discussion about promoting the sport or anti drug conversations. I spent about 5 minutes talking to the guy and I started out by asking if the course was still there. He said No and didnt want to give much info, it was a straight forward no. I said what was the reason . . . was it a state issue, was it an environmental issue? He said well basically there was too much goofing around in a state park. Drug use, drinking and drunken behavior. Damaging the nature and plant material on the course. He said basically it was one thing taking away from the state park (for all people) and with tightening budgets and such, he was having to do more work to try and keep the disc course policed. It was funny because he said he was "the guy" who got the course removed. He must have been a bigwig there . . not sure of the hierarchy in state park management. I went on to talk about the positives in the sport to try and help repair what apparently some of these locals had done. I wasn't going to change his mind about the sport, but at least I hope I left a good impression, so that if it ever comes up again, he or whoever may be in charge at that time might have a little better impression of the sport.

I had to mention this when I see that it was one of the better courses that had been extinct. Unfortunately for the standard reasons the game isnt accepted, and occassionally courses get removed for those reasons. I heard it first hand from the guy who had this course removed!

Thanks Harr! Interesting anecdote...I don't smoke and my drinking on the course has certainly curtailed as well....I have not had a drink on a course in 2 yrs. I think we are fighting an uphill battle and pointing the finger isn't gonna help get the courses back....I guess it's up to the players themselves to speak up when they see someone being blatant and classless about drinking/drugging on the course.

LOST GEMS

Kensington was lost to a redesign. AFAIK, some of the old holes were used, and some were not. Kensington Black Locust DGC

I just as recently talked with a designer who has been working with this gentleman for many years. The fellow you talked to, readily agreed that disc golf had been bringing both revenue and numbers into Willow River State Park. He, personally, just did not basically like people having fun. You put it in terms of smoking and drinking, which, of course is a general topic around our world. But, people of any interests smoke and drink, and smoke cigarettes, and bring in food containers, etc. The person you met seems to be one of those persons who thinks wilderness should be mostly left alone by humans! Or, at most, backpackers or hikers, carrying everything in and out. I largely agree with this part; so, I'm not arguing about his stand....just stating where it seems he is coming from.

The bad part of your story, is that that guy is THE MAJOR state park's spokesperson for our state. Therefore, it is highly unlikely that disc golf will be represented in state parks in our state during his tenure. Willow River disc course was not a very good course. It was o.k. when installed, but was never improved upon, due to his dislike, and refusal to let anyone who loves the sport change his mind in any way.

It seems wierd to have Withrop gold and Withrop lakefront in the same top 10 list, I would think there would be one in the country to replace one of them Also, the gold course is really only set up for the USDGC and it is constantly changing. What layout/rules for the gold course are the best?

Thanks Harr! Interesting anecdote...I don't smoke and my drinking on the course has certainly curtailed as well....I have not had a drink on a course in 2 yrs. I think we are fighting an uphill battle and pointing the finger isn't gonna help get the courses back....I guess it's up to the players themselves to speak up when they see someone being blatant and classless about drinking/drugging on the course.

I am with you on that. I know for sure I have yelled at a half dozen kids for doing stupid **** like ripping plants out of the ground because they think it is fun, I stopped a guy who was fiddling with a brand new teesign, I have calmly explained to groups of 8 kids that when someone is standing behind them on every tee it is common courtesy to let the quicker group play through. I just want everyone to understand the course is there for everyone, not just them, everyone needs the same opportunity to enjoy the course and stuff liek that is only a negative.

It sometimes is tough though to determine who is being a drunk and who is simply out letting off some steam. It is a great sport to relieve tension, I just wish it didnt require so many people needing to smoke and drink to the extreme. I have no problem with it when done in moderation, and when things are thrown away properly, but when beer cans (and energy drinks and such) are strewn all about, that leaves a horrible image to the outsiders. Truthfully I couldnt care less about people drinking excessively/smoking on the course as long as it is never visible to the outsiders, if they clean up after themselves, but I would also prefer to see them play at a normal pace. Guys toting around a cooler full of beer and getting hammered is fine if that is what they choose to do, as long as it doesnt negatively impact the impression of outsiders or slow down the rest of the course. I have played with a bunch of people where it was clear everyone was stoned, and everyone just stands around wondering whose shot it is. It's amazing what long term drug use can do to your thought process. I have seen it and with really good friends, where it just takes them longer to get the wheels working. I generally like to play quickly because the quicker I get done the more likely I am to play another round, or hit another course.

Just my little aside, now back to your regularly scheduled thread jack.

Last edited:
I just as recently talked with a designer who has been working with this gentleman for many years. The fellow you talked to, readily agreed that disc golf had been bringing both revenue and numbers into Willow River State Park. He, personally, just did not basically like people having fun. You put it in terms of smoking and drinking, which, of course is a general topic around our world. But, people of any interests smoke and drink, and smoke cigarettes, and bring in food containers, etc. The person you met seems to be one of those persons who thinks wilderness should be mostly left alone by humans! Or, at most, backpackers or hikers, carrying everything in and out. I largely agree with this part; so, I'm not arguing about his stand....just stating where it seems he is coming from.

The bad part of your story, is that that guy is THE MAJOR state park's spokesperson for our state. Therefore, it is highly unlikely that disc golf will be represented in state parks in our state during his tenure. Willow River disc course was not a very good course. It was o.k. when installed, but was never improved upon, due to his dislike, and refusal to let anyone who loves the sport change his mind in any way.

I was putting this discussion in those terms because those were the terms he brought up. I do not know what the general public thought of the course, but he made claim that the loud boisterous players would swear and yell everytime they miss a putt, which i know can be true, and because of the location of the course in relation to the lake the sound would echo across the whole lake area. I can agree with him that it would be a negative for the park users (who are paying to use the park just the same as the disc golfers).

I do agree it was apparent, that he was against the course from the beginning. He said something about him stating his concern up front. So that course may have been doomed from the get go. Unfortunately this guy didnt look to be much older than 50 so he might still have some years to go! He did also say that he was able to cut out one major time constraint in his day (policing the course), so maybe he is just getting content and not wanting to work as hard to provide to the state park system . . . who really knows?

It is unfortunate, but truthfully there is a point to the land use issue and disc golf is not generally considered environmentally friendly. I state this as my observations as a horticulturist. The ground gets major compaction, the trees get damaged and suffer more disease because of injuries, shrubs get trampled. Most other activities that would be found in this type of park are less detrimental to the environment. That is a serious concern I have for this sport as it expands is we will begin to see more and more enviro people saying no more disc golf, when all that needs to happen is proper design and consideration for the environment need to be considered from the beginning. A little bit of maintenance can go a long way too! (insert plug for my disc golf design/install/maintain division . . . well someday maybe).

Thanks for adding to the discussion Paul, I only knew what I heard from this guy and truthfully I am pissed the course is gone because I was hoping to play it this weekend.

The Great White North Canadian Top 10

Canmore Nordic Centre Canmore, AB

Whistler DGC Whistler, BC

Nicholas Sheran Park Lethbridge, AB

Bronte Creek Provincial Park Oakville (Toronto), ON

V.A. Barrie Park St. Thomas, ON

White Spruce Park Brampton, ON

Toronto Island Toronto, ON

Langley Passive Park Langley, BC

Bowen Park Nanaimo, BC

Waterworks St. Thomas, ON

*3 review minimum

The only thing keeping Water Works Park, Ypsilanti, MI off the bottom 10 is 3 homer reviews, including a 3.5 :confused:

This course barely got a 1 from me, and i had been playing less than a year when I reviewed it. It probably would get less now, if they haven't fixed it.

It's currently sitting at #18 with 10 reviews and a 2.05 average

Imagine traveling to play the top rated World's course called Waterworks (KC) and mistakingly your navigator sends you to Ypsilanti and you play this dud!

Hopefully I wouldn't confuse MO with MI :doh:

The 3 homer reviews are the ONLY reviews rated over 2

The Great White North Canadian Top 10

Canmore Nordic Centre Canmore, AB

Whistler DGC Whistler, BC

Nicholas Sheran Park Lethbridge, AB

Bronte Creek Provincial Park Oakville (Toronto), ON

V.A. Barrie Park St. Thomas, ON

White Spruce Park Brampton, ON

Toronto Island Toronto, ON

Langley Passive Park Langley, BC

Bowen Park Nanaimo, BC

Waterworks St. Thomas, ON

*3 review minimum

What are we using the metric system to evaluate them Canadian courses. They only need 3 reviews but the udders require 10 . . . ehh? Take off

What are we using the metric system to evaluate them Canadian courses. They only need 3 reviews but the udders require 10 . . . ehh? Take off

Hey Harr when I used 10 reviews only one courses showed up! I kind of thught that was a pretty boring list...one course?

I like the 70's top ten list and have played a couple if them. Jonny Roberts in Arvada, Co is an awesome "classic" course.

Hey Harr when I used 10 reviews only one courses showed up! I kind of thught that was a pretty boring list...one course?

I understand I know the Canadian contingency is less than the US courses . . . I just wanted to use it as an excuse to bring up some Strange Brew reference.

I understand I know the Canadian contingency is less than the US courses . . . I just wanted to use it as an excuse to bring up some Strange Brew reference.

Well your pretty close to the Great White North any chance of you tackiling any of that way up dere eh!
strange-brew-430.jpg

I thought you were calling me a hoser..but it's cool were all good now!

Latest posts