• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc Alteration Using Nail Clippers--Is It Legal?

I ask because I have two discs each with a shard of plastic hanging off. The shards are too well attached to come off with regular play and are uncomfortable to grasp; flight is probably slightly affected as well. I can't sand them off because of their size. Is cutting them off with nail clippers legal, or will I no longer be able to use them in PDGA tournaments once I make the cut?

Am I the only person who has played a sanctioned event and NOT had my discs thoroughly inspected?

Sorry to answer your question with a question.

Edit: also, if it is that bad, I would probably just buy a new disc. Because you're right, it probably will affect its flight.

Use the clippers, and sand it smooth afterwards. You'll be fine. Nobody, inlcuding the PDGA, is going to care.

I believe you can clip them off if they're cutting/grazing your hand while u r throwing them. Almost all of my discs have been clipped and sanded smooth

I keep a pair of clippers in my bag, along with a piece of sandpaper and a small retractable razor blade. It's not illegal to trim of a shard sticking up after a rough hit.

Even Nate Sexton in his ITB video talks about what he carries to keep his disc maintained.

A: Nobody will inspect your discs. Tournament directors barely have enough volunteers to get important things done, much less something that might (read: won't) have an effect on scoring.

B: It's not illegal, therefore negating any worries about scenario A

Latest posts