• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc CAD drawings.

Dave Walters

Double Eagle Member
I was messing with my autocad the other day and decided to draw up some profiles for fun.

Has same diameter, rim depth and, rim and width as a destroyer. Different rim profile though.
profile1.jpg

Same diameter and width as a classic roc. different design including the thumb trac.
profile2.jpg

Feedback would be appreciated.

The interior rim lines need to be adjusted to allw for the drafting as the injection mold comes apart. If you don't know how to do this, just go to protomold.com and upload the file, their software will adjust the lines to allow for the parting of the mold.

I'd imagine you did these as an object of rotation in a 3D format, and not just the cross sections? I've been thinking of trying my hand at disc design, as it fits well with me technical background. I could even make prototypes using stereolithography for about the retail cost of a premium plastic disc. If you send me the CAD files, I can help you tweak them to something that would actually be moldable.

now let's put them in solidworks and make 3D models!...:D

I just did the cross sections for now. My dad has been in plastic molding for 20 years so I am going to have him help me with this.

Once I get my academic version of inventor I will be able to get 3d models.

I second the Solidworks suggestion, and would like to comment on the need for at least 2° of draft on the core for easy ejection as the mold opens. (not unlike your thumbtrack geometry)

thats awesome man. I did the profile sketches pretty rough. It was just for fun and to mess around. I do plan on however in the future to try and design and produce discs.

Seeing my uncle is a tool maker and my dad used to be in plastics for a long time.

depending on the file format you did these in in autocad, it could be compatible with solid works, and turning it into a 3D file would be as simple as cutting the drawing in half, and making it an object of revolution around an axis. Once it is in a 3D format, the drafting is much easier. Just based on quick examination, I think the first design might also have some flow problem where the rim and flight plate connect. Would this be an accurate assessment Scott?

yeah i wasnt sure what to do with the bottom of the flight plate on that one so I just made it flat. Most likely i will have it cureve with the same contour as the top.

I'm currently working with other students in my program (plastics engineering) and students from other majors (tooling and mold design) to develop a mold for a driver and a putter. We used CATIA to draw the prototype of the disc and the mold halves. You would be surprised at how difficult designing the mold is, especially on a budget that is almost $0 (the idea was to use an old mold base and have steel plates for inserts donated from a company nearby). Because the plastic injects into the underside of the disc, it sticks to the core side of the mold, so figuring out the ejection is going to be a little tricky. If you look at a disc, there are no ejector marks, and usually ejection is done on the movable platen; but with discs it is just a curved dome on top, so they don't stick to the movable platen. The only thing we could think to use was a stripper plate to push the disc off of the core. Does anybody know a little bit more about the technology used with regards to mold design for producing a disc? We are also trying to figure out what type of plastic is used. We have a general idea, but obviously its not something you can just look up on the web, and the manufacturers probably use a special blend anyways. I think I will create a new thread to find information about the materials used... Any help would be appreciated, thanks in advance

Every Innova discs have ejection mark in the middle of the bottom.
Just like this one.

I thought that was from the sprue bushing not being flush with the mold plate, causing a little bit of flash. It seems odd that they would inject the plastic through an ejector pin, and to be honest, I don't even know if you can have an ejecting sprue bushing...

The 2nd looks like a Discraft Zone and an Innova Rhyno made a baby....

upon reflection..make that a very fat Zone and obese Rhyno...that flight plate is really thick!

Looks real cool though, I'd like to see more of these.

Last edited:

Latest posts