• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] Disc flight?

spinnin' discs

Bogey Member
As winter approaches, the temperatures and rapidly declining. Does this cold air itself affect distance or does the changing stability of the disc due to the cold affect distance? Or is it both?

It's neither. The main reason you see a difference in flight is simply because of the fact that it's harder to throw with full power in the winter. You're wearing more layers, have cold hands and, in the snow, have worse footing.

It has to do with air density. You have to understand that although air is pretty thin medium you still have to throw your disc through it. The factors effecting air density, which in turn effects flight change based on the temp and altitude you're playing in. Cold air is thick air which creates more drag on your disc which yields similar flight characteristics that you would experience if you were to throw into a head wind on a normal temp day. Discs will tend to fly less stable and slower.

Ok so the temperature doesnt directly affect distance potential, just disc characteristics?

It's neither. The main reason you see a difference in flight is simply because of the fact that it's harder to throw with full power in the winter. You're wearing more layers, have cold hands and, in the snow, have worse footing.

Exactly. Its more about humidity/dew points I believe vs actual temps and even then its not something which you need to change your bag over or even think about.

Cold weather just makes your muscles stiffer, discs slicker, snow impacts run ups, heavier clothing etc all contribute to lack-luster throwing performance. I know Dave Feldberg has said he doesn't practice playing disc golf in the snow as he finds its counter-productive. Not sure I agree but understand what he means due to all the crap associated with trying to play disc golf in a true winter setting.

Ok so the temperature doesnt directly affect distance potential, just disc characteristics?

Depending on how you throw and what you throw you may find that you'll need to disc up in certain situations, i.e. a slower fairway instead of your mid. Again this will all depend on how you throw and how much temp variation on the particular day you are playing. As I said cold is thick air so you will lose some distance simply because the medium you're throwing through is thicker. Imagine if you threw a disc underwater, it wouldn't go all that far because water is obviously significantly denser than air, just as 30 degree air temp is denser than 85 degree air temp.

Last edited:
Yea, winter is a tough time for me. I go from using my full body to throw to using 90% arms. It screws my form up for a while for sure. If you ask me thats why discs fly differently, not the weather.

I used to think the effect of temperature to air density would have negligible effect on the disc, however I stumbled upon an article on cycling, where it was said "If the air pressure is constant at 1000 kPa, then the air density at 25 degrees Celcius (77 degrees Fahrenheit) will be around 1.169 kg/m3 while at -5 degrees Celcius (23 degrees Fahrenheit) the air density will be 1.3011 kg/m3 — about 10-percent higher, and the drag would also be increased by 10 percent." 10% is significant enough to be noticeable, and the temperature difference between warm summer day and cold winter day can in many places be much larger than the temperatures used in that example, so there can be more than 10% difference in drag.

I won't argue that with all the extra layers, the effect that cold has on the feel of your disc in your hand along with all the other factors mentioned aren't issues that will effect how one plays in the colder weather because they are also important to be mindful of but if you dismiss the physics of flight through denser/cooler air then you're ignoring simple facts of science. The OP was asking what effects cooler air have on disc flight and to say that there are none or that they aren't important is dubious at best.

I used to think the effect of temperature to air density would have negligible effect on the disc, however I stumbled upon an article on cycling, where it was said "If the air pressure is constant at 1000 kPa, then the air density at 25 degrees Celcius (77 degrees Fahrenheit) will be around 1.169 kg/m3 while at -5 degrees Celcius (23 degrees Fahrenheit) the air density will be 1.3011 kg/m3 — about 10-percent higher, and the drag would also be increased by 10 percent." 10% is significant enough to be noticeable, and the temperature difference between warm summer day and cold winter day can in many places be much larger than the temperatures used in that example, so there can be more than 10% difference in drag.

Thank you. I live in the southeast NC and trust me there is a huge difference when throwing in 95 degree 80% humidity in the summer and 35 degree 20% humidity in the winter.

The two biggest factors effecting disc flight are lift and drag, in cooler/denser air lift will be reduced and drag will be increased, that means less stable/shorter flights. Understanding this before you step up to your shot is far more important than taking into account your wearing a coat and your hand is cold, which I admit do effect your form and release but if you don't have the right disc in your hand for the weather conditions you're throwing in in your hand to begin with all the release angles and form won't help a bit. You can't get orange juice from apples.

Sweet, now I have a new excuse for bad shots. "I really should've checked the barometer before I left. Today's air is clearly too dense for that disc!"

It does seem like some days discs hang in the air longer and fly farther than other days, regardless of temperature. Pretty subjective though since we are imperfect animals.

Sweet, now I have a new excuse for bad shots. "I really should've checked the barometer before I left. Today's air is clearly too dense for that disc!"

So do you think altitude has no impact on disc flight or are those boys and girls up in Colorado just getting to stoned on that personal use Mary Jane

Air density definitely influences disc flight. Altitude, temperature, and humidity influences air density. Apply the transitive property accordingly and altitude, temperature, and humidity influence disc flight.

Air density definitely influences disc flight. Altitude, temperature, and humidity influences air density. Apply the transitive property accordingly and altitude, temperature, and humidity influence disc flight.

^^^^That's my point. Is it the only factor a player has to take into consideration during the winter, absolutely not, all the things mentioned in this thread effect a player's overall performance during the winter months but the OP asked specifically if cooler temps effect disc flight and the answer is yes.

So do you think altitude has no impact on disc flight or are those boys and girls up in Colorado just getting to stoned on that personal use Mary Jane

I'm not saying it doesn't have an effect. My comment is more a commentary on the fact that, for me, day-to-day changes in disc flight are not a result of changing atmospheric conditions, but simply due to inconsistency in my throwing motion.

Any effects of small changes in air pressure are masked by grip locks, early release and nose angle issues.

I'm not saying it doesn't have an effect. My comment is more a commentary on the fact that, for me, day-to-day changes in disc flight are not a result of changing atmospheric conditions, but simply due to inconsistency in my throwing motion.

Any effects of small changes in air pressure are masked by grip locks, early release and nose angle issues.

Okay, I'm picking up what you're laying down now. For me I try to be mindful of the conditions and worry less about my form in the winter months because I know the extra layers coupled with the effect of the cold on the stiffness and grip of my discs and just try to pick the best disc for for the shot, which to me translates into understanding how those environmental conditions effect the flight of all my discs. I try to do the same in the rain, windy days, cold days and even warmer days as well.

Latest posts