• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] Disc for Wooded Course Driving

Joemic

Par Member
Hi all, I play most of my rounds in the Worcester County area (Leicester's Pyramids and Maple Hill, Worcester's Newton Hill, Barre Falls Dam, Buffumville Dam, etc), so I am searching for the perfect disc for just straight, controllable shots through tight, low ceilings.

I have given the teebird a try, I've used many mid ranges (comet, buzzz, etc), and I've used the Archangel for hyzer-flip to straight shots. What I've been considering is Discraft's fairway drivers for my needs:

My question for you guys is, if you were choosing a disc for 300-400 foot holes through tight tunnels, what would you pick? I know that's a loaded question, so I'll tell you what I've been considering:

Stalker: I hear its a reliable, straight flying disc, like a longer Buzzz. That sounds pretty great to me for this.

XL: Looking at flight charts, this doesn't seem to be the disc for this shot, but many of the Discraft team say it's their go-to disc for woods shots. Anyone an advocate?

Not sure what else Discraft's got for this slot, but let me know! If people have suggestions out of other companies (as I know you all do), throw those down too!

It might help if you mention why those other discs didn't work for you, and what you're looking for that's different from the ones you mentioned. That way you can get some advice tailored for you rather than just what everybody happens to have in their own bag.

If forced to use Discraft, then Stalker or ESP Cyclone.

Current = Champion Leopard for straight. Ch. T-Bird for R to L.

If you are looking for something that is sopost to be a longer buzz and stay discraft you could take a look at the zombee.

TL or volt fit that spot for me

XL: Looking at flight charts, this doesn't seem to be the disc for this shot, but many of the Discraft team say it's their go-to disc for woods shots. Anyone an advocate?

This is exactly what I use for those shots. I carry three, Elite-X for big annys, ESP for a dead straight hyzer flip and a Z for a straight flight with a little fade at the end.

I've been using a Latitude 64 Opto Diamond for this type of shot and it handles very well. Has a little wiggle, but holds a low line perfectly straight with very little power, so you can take some off of it and still be accurate.

I just recently played Maple hill for the first time, loved it. Played the blue course. I found myself throwing volts and amps a lot with some success. Buzzz and tangent on shorter holes.

It might help if you mention why those other discs didn't work for you, and what you're looking for that's different from the ones you mentioned. That way you can get some advice tailored for you rather than just what everybody happens to have in their own bag.

Good point. The Teebird has been great, but I have it in DX and it has beat in quickly to become flippy when thrown straight. So now it will fly straight if given a little hyzer, but it is quite touchy and often does not do what I expect. I could get a higher end plastic, but then I end up with more LSF than I am looking for. The mids are just a bit too slow sometimes, so I am looking for something a bit faster (I believe the highest speed I can control confidently is 8-9, maybe 10). The Archangel is really my go-to, but it only comes in DX and is so beat that if thrown even slightly off, it will roll for years. And the Discraft preference has just come from loving my mids from them.

Thanks for the input everyone. Brad, I'm glad you endorse the XL. I'll definitely have to look into that one. Sometimes the flight charts freak me out with the LSF, but it seems it can be a bit misleading at times.

I just recently played Maple hill for the first time, loved it. Played the blue course. I found myself throwing volts and amps a lot with some success. Buzzz and tangent on shorter holes.

Glad you enjoyed the course! It really is impressive. I am very unfamiliar with MVP discs, so maybe I'll have to give those a try as well.

It seems my preference lies away from Innova (with exceptions) and towards Discraft. I have discs from Westside and Latitude that I love (although I bought high speed drivers like a noob and my arm can't handle them yet). Prodigy's M4 has been cool, although I like the Comet better. Just some points about myself to guide answers!

If you want a premium Teebird with less LSS, get a TL. I know it's not Discraft, but it is super straight.

I think the plus rim ones might be more Teebird-ish, watch out for those~

Good point. The Teebird has been great, but I have it in DX and it has beat in quickly to become flippy when thrown straight. So now it will fly straight if given a little hyzer, but it is quite touchy and often does not do what I expect. I could get a higher end plastic, but then I end up with more LSF than I am looking for. The mids are just a bit too slow sometimes, so I am looking for something a bit faster (I believe the highest speed I can control confidently is 8-9, maybe 10). The Archangel is really my go-to, but it only comes in DX and is so beat that if thrown even slightly off, it will roll for years. And the Discraft preference has just come from loving my mids from them.

Thanks for the input everyone. Brad, I'm glad you endorse the XL. I'll definitely have to look into that one. Sometimes the flight charts freak me out with the LSF, but it seems it can be a bit misleading at times.

A star TL might fill the role of a slightly broken in teebird for you if that's something your were already successful with, and it will be plenty durable.

Thanks guys. Didn't really know of the TL, so I'll definitely look into that! Love the idea of adding to my Discraft lineup, so I'm going to keep an eye out for the XL, too. Solid advice from everyone

XL is not a bad choice. Z will be the most durable plastic, but they can have some awful kicks off the trees.

The courses I use to play back home were tightly wooded with low celings as well. I loved the FLX for sticking landings and reduced kicks of trees.

If the FLX sounds like you want to try it, make sure you find or ask for the most firm ones you can find. There are super floppy FLX (yuck) and stiffer runs which are almost as stiff as ESP.

A prodution run of ESP or ESP FLX Stalker would be perfect for you needs.

Volt. But your choices are good, and all the advice on this thread is great.

I used to use an XL, but it got too flippy for me. Same when I tried the Stalker. Maybe I should have used a different plastic. XL was ESP and Stalker was Elite Z. I can just throw longer and straighter now too, but not 400 feet on flat ground like you can.

I can park these holes with a Buzzz now, so I don't need a longer disc as much, they have some downhill though:

http://delaveagadiscgolf.com/hole-3/
http://delaveagadiscgolf.com/hole-8/

(And yes, mentioning that was the real reason for posting this)

Latest posts