• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] Disc for Wooded Course Driving

The zombees I threw in the ace race were just like my beat Z stalker. (Also why I had four metal hits :) ) In the woods, my fairways work really well. I like my Z predator, Star Eagle X, Volt, Z Stalker, GL River, in order from most to least overstable. The volt gets the lion's share of these drives, due to the great durability and reliable fade at the end of a straight, low flight. Probably the longest of the bunch, too.

If the Zombee is like a beat Stalker Z, would it be right to suppose that if thrown flat, it will flip to the right in the early stages of its flight? I'm trying to find a disc that holds a flat line in the early stage of flight, with a minimal but predictable fade at the end. I have a DX Teebird that flies flippy at high speeds now, so I'm trying to get away from that a bit.

If the Zombee is like a beat Stalker Z, would it be right to suppose that if thrown flat, it will flip to the right in the early stages of its flight? I'm trying to find a disc that holds a flat line in the early stage of flight, with a minimal but predictable fade at the end. I have a DX Teebird that flies flippy at high speeds now, so I'm trying to get away from that a bit.

Zombee does not turn over on me at all and I have a pretty good arm.

It goes straight and has that slower speed like a mid does,but can get you some sneaky distance for this type of disc(Tweener). Then it finishes with minimal fade. Once broke in it's a thing of beauty.

Huge help, Firebird! Thanks! Also, you can throw in whatever tidbits you want regardless of whether or not I asked haha. Everything helps!

Having gotten a hefty taste of woods golf today I can say I wish I brought my Polecat for some SLOOOOOOOW shots.

Throwing stalkers and teebirds 300 feet down a tunnel is sweet if you miss all the trees. Parking a putter 150 feet down that same tunnel will result in an easier upshot and better score for you!

:clap::clap::clap::clap:

Huge help, Firebird! Thanks! Also, you can throw in whatever tidbits you want regardless of whether or not I asked haha. Everything helps!

no problem man.

Disc Golf is my passion so I get pretty worked up(in a good way) about disc golf talk all the time. :hfive:

Firebird, any chance you could compare the Zombee to the FLX XL? Does the XL require a flex shot to keep it straight? Is it the same kind of flight but faster? So many discs to choose from haha

Firebird, any chance you could compare the Zombee to the FLX XL? Does the XL require a flex shot to keep it straight? Is it the same kind of flight but faster? So many discs to choose from haha

The XL is just a tad bit more stable than the Stalker. They both share pretty similar flight paths.

I have however heard that the XL can be turned into a nice anyhyzer disc when worn in. The Stalker however will never be like this. Once it gets worn in it will always be very straight with just a bit less fade.

I don't think it really compares to the Zombee. The Zombee is more of a Tweener disc and the XL is more of a true Fairway driver.

Sorry for late reply. Went downstairs to Putt a little bit to keep myself awake.

The XL is just a tad bit more stable than the Stalker. They both share pretty similar flight paths.

I have however heard that the XL can be turned into a nice anyhyzer disc when worn in. The Stalker however will never be like this. Once it gets worn in it will always be very straight with just a bit less fade.

I don't think it really compares to the Zombee. The Zombee is more of a Tweener disc and the XL is more of a true Fairway driver.

Sorry for late reply. Went downstairs to Putt a little bit to keep myself awake.

Thanks again! Definitely helps me out. I think I'm going to pick up both an XL and a Zombee. See what I can do with both of them. Stalker seems to be a disc that would end up getting phased out by the two of them.

Make sure to remember all of the different plastics types the XL comes in.

Elite Z and FLX = most stable(comparable to Champion Plastic)
ESP = stable to neutral(Comparable to Star Plastic)
Elite X = Neutral(comparable to Pro Plastic)
Pro D = Understable(comparable to DX)

Hope this helps. And you're welcome again. :thmbup:

might seem odd; dunno if i've got a freak disc or what, but if i come across a long, straight tunnel shot i reach for my gl striker, 176g. straight. maybe about 2 feet of wiggle at most. crank it hard and low; no fade for me.

might seem odd; dunno if i've got a freak disc or what, but if i come across a long, straight tunnel shot i reach for my gl striker, 176g. straight. maybe about 2 feet of wiggle at most. crank it hard and low; no fade for me.

A while back I got a freak Valkyrie. Instead of throwing like a Valkyrie it threw like a dang Firebird and it even flew good in a headwind.

I don't have it anymore as I traded it,but man that was a crazy Valkyrie.

I would recommend the Cyclone for this shot. It's a speed 6 which will be easy for you to get moving on intended flight path. What I like about the Cyclone over a Zombee or Stalker is that the Cyclone is a shot shaper while the others are more stable. When I threw the other two I found you have to throw flat and hard and they have fade. They didn't anny all that well, i mean you could get over on them but they wanted to fight out.
Shot shaping is key in wooded courses. The Cyclone does it all because of the high speed turn AND low speed fade (basically a slightly slower Eagle). Put it on hyzer it flies hyzer, put it on anny it flies anny, throw it straight it flies straight. It's just a great disc for in the woods.
BTW: MJ who is king of the woods endorses an XL as his fairway (and gives a nod to the Cyclone as what he would throw if not for the XL) So I suggest Cyclone or XL for woods, the others are too stable to have a good touch with in tight woods.

I'm trying to find a disc that holds a flat line in the early stage of flight, with a minimal but predictable fade at the end.

To me, this sounds like you are looking for a pro leopard 170-175 in weight. It will have some fade at first, but that will disappear fairly quickly, without losing HSS. People tell me it stays in that sweet spot for a long time, and I've had several that stayed there for months before I lost them. I've yet to have one start flipping on me.

In contrast, the DX teebird breaks in and starts flipping fairly quickly. They don't seem to settle in a sweet spot like that, to me. I use the champ teebird for moderately OS duties, and I cycle DX leopards for most everything else. I don't carry the pro leopard right now because I hunger for flippy leopards, and I want to force myself to break in the new DX leopards.