• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc golf and beer....why?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting thread, but go too a ball golf course and see how many ppl drink and golf, or bowling, ppl do it to relax and have fun that's all it about for people who do it. I have noticed though goin out of state for tourneys that the surrounding states to oklahoma after rounds or the tourney not a lot ppl drink though.

Perhaps it's too cold for beer and disc golf to mix as of late. I'm starting to think bourbon would be a better companion for a casual round!

I save all my beer for the drive home

I wish this was a joke. Its so selfish and stupid to drink and drive. I used to do it almost every day. Got 2 duis. Put a big hold on life for a while. Quit drinking a few years back. I got a buddy sitting in prison for another 9 or 10 years cause a few years back he got drunk drove his truck into a family in a minivan and killed a 19 year old girl and her 2 year old brother. So please don't drink and drive and let's not make light of it with stupid comments on the internet.

I might have none to two beers on a round, but any more and I'll get too goofy and the game goes to crap.
Did see a buddy get stuck with a doubles partner who drank more than a sixer, then proceeded to trip over his bag, throw at the wrong basket, piss in public[with families walking by], yell at his discs, etc.

Disc golf and beer....why?

Why not?

FYI, there are a total of 0 (yes, zero) courses that I play that ban alcohol. Most are on public land (ie. city or county parks) and none have a no alcohol policy. Smoking is a completely different beast though with the dry grass, oak woodlands, and rolling hills.

I don't think anyone on DGCR is against someone enjoying a frosty beverage while throwing plastic. The issue is whether it's legal. (Many courses ban alcohol, especially after hours) And if the person is drunk. There's a big difference between one beer, and the whole stinkin' pack.

My politically correct thought is...everyone has the right to do what they want within the boundaries of local/state/federal law, so enjoy.
My "inside my head voice" says...just cuz you can do it doesn't mean you should. DG in my neck of the woods has quite a few great people who are a blast to play golf with, BUT, there are just as many DG'rs here that are borderline d$cks to begin with and should never have beer/alcohol in ANY public saying cuz they are unbearable to be around. Too often these db's are loud, rude, inconsiderate, offensive, littering, a$$wipes that ruin the environment around them. I just played in a league 2 weeks ago (and got paired with...definitely not my choice) and this guy was unbearable, drunk, loud, inconsiderate, littered his empty bottles, and wound up quitting and leaving the course half way through the round. He was a complete mess. I wish I could say its an isolated incident but this is common behavior, especially around our more established courses.
Just my opinion.

My politically correct thought is...everyone has the right to do what they want within the boundaries of local/state/federal law, so enjoy.
My "inside my head voice" says...just cuz you can do it doesn't mean you should. DG in my neck of the woods has quite a few great people who are a blast to play golf with, BUT, there are just as many DG'rs here that are borderline d$cks to begin with and should never have beer/alcohol in ANY public saying cuz they are unbearable to be around. Too often these db's are loud, rude, inconsiderate, offensive, littering, a$$wipes that ruin the environment around them. I just played in a league 2 weeks ago (and got paired with...definitely not my choice) and this guy was unbearable, drunk, loud, inconsiderate, littered his empty bottles, and wound up quitting and leaving the course half way through the round. He was a complete mess. I wish I could say its an isolated incident but this is common behavior, especially around our more established courses.
Just my opinion.

Beer doesn't make people douchy, littery or poorly behaved. They may use it as an excuse, but they are douchy, littery, poorly behaved tools to begin with. Don't give beer any blame, it has done nothing to you that you did not tell it to do. Poor beer. :D

For me it comes down to this, sometimes I play casual and I want to score really well, sometimes I play casual with no intention of keeping score and sometimes I play competitively with all intentions of scoring well. When I am trying to score well, I find that a tall can before a round can help calm my nerves for those putts that are right outside of the comfort zone and I also tend to not over think things and just do it. Other times I've had a stressful day at work and just want to relax in my favorite place, DG course, with my favorite beverage and could care less if my drive goes 10ft and into the ground lol. Also i never litter my empties.

Cause recreational games/sports are generally accompanied by drinking.

Any park that has a decent amount of traffic has booze litter, its not isolated to disc golf parks/areas.

Last edited:
Top grossing pro disc golfer makes, what, less than $50k? If you're not playing this game for fun, you probably ought to reconsider. Have a beer, relax, Viva Steady Ed.

im usually not one for drinking while im playing but have done it time from time if others im playing with are partaking.. now after the round is a different ballgame all together

I wish this was a joke. Its so selfish and stupid to drink and drive. I used to do it almost every day. Got 2 duis. Put a big hold on life for a while. Quit drinking a few years back. I got a buddy sitting in prison for another 9 or 10 years cause a few years back he got drunk drove his truck into a family in a minivan and killed a 19 year old girl and her 2 year old brother. So please don't drink and drive and let's not make light of it with stupid comments on the internet.

Hope he was joking, pretty sure he was.

The first time I ever drove with any alcohol in me, I got a DUI for blowing a .08 a block away from our college house. I was at the corner store buying water because I was going to be the Designated Driver later in the night (doh). Got suckered into playing a game of beer pong and completely dominated, ended up playing a second game before going to the store.

Definitely hurts for a long time to have a DUI, I preached nonstop to my friends that it wasn't worth it. Within a year two of my three closest friends got their own DUI's, one of which crashed into a parked car and went out his jeep window (he was lucky enough to walk away).

To be fair, when it comes to disc golf I don't see many people get absolutely slammed, it's just a couple beers to enjoy the round with some friends from my experience

It definitely has it's place in DG and many other fun, outdoor activities.
Moderation in all things is a must. I've played some of my best rounds with quite a few beers in me (about 16 -18 over an all day, 3 round, bag tag event with friends). I've also shot some of my worst rated rounds with no beer at all.
Plenty of beer at the ball golf course, softball fields, etc. I love a couple of cold beers when I'm hiking and fly fishing in the Sierras.

I wish some people weren't so Puritanical about it. I don't approve of loud, drunk, A$$ holes at any venue, but c'mon......you're walking, hiking, competing, with (hopefully) friends on your DAY OFF from work, throwing plastic at baskets. I want to do well and compete just as much as anybody else, and I don't drink during tournament rounds that I've paid good money to play in, but I LOVE a nice cold beer in an round with friends.

Status
Not open for further replies.