• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc Golf Commercial

LOL, I don't think I've seen anyone but white people play discgolf IRL. Then again most people in my area hit 20 and turn into couch potatoes lol. Besides that most people are like wtf is discgolf herpaderp.

Are the same people who are into discgolf even into ESPN and watching sports? All my friends/people I know that play discgolf never watch sports/espn. Seems like a different group of people in my opinion although my life is a tiny sample size. Seems like advertisements on youtube and such would be more able to get to that discgolf niche. ESPN is for the more broader apealing sports like football/basketball/boxing.

Last edited:
Before I noticed anything else I noticed his sloppy dress and his attitude. The attitude really turned me off. He was, if I remember right, tied for lead on his card in the KCWO video that I was watching, but makes a bad throw (OB) on 18, and even after the guy he was tied with (Koling?) does the same he can be seen moping, leaning on the tee sign. The only other guy I have seen exhibit as little class has been Locastro. :-( I don't think either one would make good spokesmen for DG.

I'm not sure that was Philo? He does wear his clothes sloppy, but no more so than most. The paul's are an exception, immaculate. I don't know Philo, I do know that most of these guys have their moments during rounds, even the nice ones. Ken, the token saint of disc golf has a horrible reputation for whinning and going on about small things. But I've yet to see one be a donkey off the field. Even Nikko, and Bradley Williams, a local who once kicked a basket to death, are pretty nice guys (bradley got suspended and is quite professional by what I can see now).

I apologize. If I've learned anything in society today because of my race I am not allowed to make any commentary regarding race and related issues regardless of how true my commentary may be or even if it is my own formulated opinion. Anything I have to say on such subjects is automatically labeled as racist. Again, I apologize for my apparently racist commentary in spite of saying something that was competely true.

I didn't take your comment to read racist, I took it to mean we need to reach out to more diverse groups, something I agree with. Look, there is plenty of overt and even hidden racism in the world. The PDGA is mostly white guys, sigh. We should be attentive, but not dumb. If I film at a local course, it's gonna be mostly white guys. I think they did good at the diversity thing, but my experience with the PDGA is they work hard at looking outside their demographic.

Hopefully my mis-direction below won't get this thread directed to the Landfill.

OK, since you sarcastically went there, so will I.

I never called nor implied you were racist. I don't know you at all, other than what I've seen you post. I said "don't go there," because your original statement, basically implying that "...if the PDGA gets more non-whites in disc golf, that will lead to more non-whites in the PDGA's commercials" was overly presumptuous or pre-judging. So, either a) you are so sheltered you don't know what you're talking about; or b) you don't care that you don't know what you're talking about. In either case, it's the showing of ignorance (look up the meaning of the word) that caused me to ask you not to go there. I'm in the video below in one of several spots I've done to help, I believe, contribute to the disc golf community. Many other people of all nationalities do so -- like KJ Nybo, Steve Rico, Eagle McMahon, Seppo Paju, Philo Brathwate; and in my state, George Castillo, Luis Gonzales, JD Ramirez, Jimmy Zamora, and on and on and on. I believe that Rodney properly pointed out in his post #31 a glaring opportunity for the PDGA and disc golf community to more accurately represent itself in the future. I did not take offense, because just like the first commercial on ESPNU, you gotta start somewhere and hopefully get better over time. I am not offended by your commentary on race; I was bothered by both your ignorance and the inherent sarcasm in the reply. Make a well-thought-out accurate commentary on race in disc golf and we can have an intelligent discussion. I don't holler "race card!" at every turn, that's not what I am saying.

It's a commercial, Mr. RocketGuy. A "pre-planned, set up advertising promotion." Like most commercials, I am pretty sure that the actors/participants were selected in advance. The producer of the spot can pick anyone he/she chooses. And btw, your assertion that your premise was "completely true[sic]" lacks foundation. Maybe where you live, but not where I do.

This was from Episode 6 on DynamicDiscs.tv:

Ouch!

Anything I might say here is just gonna make me look stupid, or more stupid. Perhaps I did misread, but I often take sarcasm to mean we need to do something about this.

Ouch!

Anything I might say here is just gonna make me look stupid, or more stupid. Perhaps I did misread, but I often take sarcasm to mean we need to do something about this.

Lyle c'mon. We live in Texas. I might buy the "I only see white guys at the course" from the guy in Delaware -- I really don't know much about that part of the country. You can't tell me there aren't a fair amount of people of Hispanic nationalities playing dg around where you are. I know there are up here in DFW.

And I didn't take him as racist at first, I took the smart-alec reply as he was saying I was calling him racist or screaming "race card!" -- and I wasn't.

Lyle c'mon. We live in Texas. I might buy the "I only see white guys at the course" from the guy in Delaware -- I really don't know much about that part of the country. You can't tell me there aren't a fair amount of people of Hispanic nationalities playing dg around where you are. I know there are up here in DFW.

And I didn't take him as racist at first, I took the smart-alec reply as he was saying I was calling him racist or screaming "race card!" -- and I wasn't.

Can't argue with correct. But he did miss out, the ad had a number of hispanics in it. Having argued with you a couple of times, I'm pretty sure you've never yelled "race card."

OK, since you sarcastically went there, so will I.

Sadly, I wasn't sarcastic. That's the usual for me commenting on anything that has to do with race. I get to be called racist no matter what.

After reading your post, I don't think you understand what sacasm means.

My daughter and I had the opportunity to meet both Nikko and Pbilo at Worlds last year. We followed Nikkko's group. He had a couple minor hiccups during his round but generally stayed "gallery friendly" throughout. My 11 year old daughter had a Nikko sign and he even talked to her once during the round, giving her a big smile and thumbs up. He also talked nicely with us after the round, signed a disc, and took a nice picture with my daughter.

After the round we ran into Philo. He was great, too. He was very polite. He signed a disc for us and chatted for a while. I was surprised that he wasn't in a rush to get out of there but he spent several minutes with us.

So is their behavior on the course alwasye the best? No. I get that. But they both represented disc golf very well after their rounds. Just a couple thoughts on the matter. :)

Yeah, Philo is all class. Always up for a chat, super friendly, adult.

When players act out during competition, I tend to give them a break. All the pros really get after it during play, I know it's easy to lose your head once in a while while you're working. Losing your temper during competition almost always produces poorer results, so they're getting punished plenty already, in my view.

What I notice is the sullenness, lack of maturity & lack of professionalism I see sometimes from pros when they're away from the course, being interviewed, on social media, etc.

Philo may sulk and get wound up over his performance during a round, once in a while, but I've never seen him curse or lash out at anyone but himself. And once the competition is over, he's the best.

I'm glad to hear the above.

Maybe I should note that there were at least 4 instances in the back 9 video where Philo acted such that I was negatively impresssed, starting with cussing after his throw on 10--the first throw in the video. Since Swope Park was my home course for 2 years, and I have played that hole many times, I understand his frustration there, but also may be less likely to cut slack for it. I mean, that's the way it is there--the wind sweeps down that valley and you just have to deal with it (I've had 300'+ rollaways on holes that cross that valley lol). So some of my reaction is probably, hey, if I can deal with it (which, of course, I had to learn :eek:), and you're a lot better than me, and you have a camera on you....

Anyway, if he (and Nikko) is not like that off the field, that's great! I retract what I said about probably not being a good spokesman. I still think that the pros should act like pros, though.

You can't tell me there aren't a fair amount of people of Hispanic nationalities playing dg around where you are. I know there are up here in DFW.

Huge Latin representation playing disc golf all over LA County. And we have the Rico family and Legacy too. I'd say that Steve & Bamba serving as role models as pro golfers and their success with Legacy as small business owners has a big influence on driving the Latino participation in disc golf around here. But I also know the history & tradition of disc golf in the Latino community in LA runs deeper and goes further back than them even. I know their Dad first got them out playing as kids in Sylmar and I see a ton of old timers around too who I know were there way back at the beginning of the whole thing.

Huge Latin representation playing disc golf all over LA County. And we have the Rico family and Legacy too. I'd say that Steve & Bamba serving as role models as pro golfers and their success with Legacy as small business owners has a big influence on driving the Latino participation in disc golf around here. But I also know the history & tradition of disc golf in the Latino community in LA runs deeper and goes further back than them even. I know their Dad first got them out playing as kids in Sylmar and I see a ton of old timers around too who I know were there way back at the beginning of the whole thing.

And of course, the best player in the world is Mexican-American.

the ad had a number of hispanics in it.

Are you talking about the ad where McBeth says it's his job? I did this fast, but here's what I saw in the 60-second version. An asterisk indicates somebody who talked.

*hispanic girl with a white guy visible
- 4 people walking pictured from the back - 2 obvi white, 2 you can't tell
*white guy and 3 white guys
*mcbeth with a white guy
*white-ish(?) exercise guy --- he might be asian???
- 3 people walking -- the girl is tan or dark complexion possibly minority
*white trunk guy
- group too far to see
*white guy holding hands with white girl
- group with at least 3/6 white -- can't see the others
*white guy with 5 other guys one of which appears to be non-white (same group as previous line)
*white (or possible hispanic) girl with 2 white guys and original hispanic girl watching
- mcbeth teeing off

Last edited:
Are you talking about the ad where McBeth says it's his job? I did this fast, but here's what I saw in the 60-second version. An asterisk indicates somebody who talked.

*hispanic girl with a white guy visible
- 4 people walking pictured from the back - 2 obvi white, 2 you can't tell
*white guy and 3 white guys
*mcbeth with a white guy
*white-ish(?) exercise guy --- he might be asian???
- 3 people walking -- the girl is tan or dark complexion possibly minority
*white trunk guy
- group too far to see
*white guy holding hands with white girl
- group with at least 3/6 white -- can't see the others
*white guy with 5 other guys one of which appears to be non-white (same group as previous line)
*white (or possible hispanic) girl with 2 white guys and original hispanic girl watching
- mcbeth teeing off

Really done with this conversation, but some of the people you think are white aren't. McBeth would be one, as posted above. That said, there is enough hispanic representation there to say that it ain't all white boys. My original post commented, white, hispanic, young, old and women. I think the PDGA did pretty good on the diversity thing.

Now I'm done with this, don't know what our base is, commend the PDGA for thinking more widely and for actively pursuing and making opportunities for women for as long as I can remember. Can we go back to ad quality now?

Really done with this conversation, but some of the people you think are white aren't. McBeth would be one, as posted above.

McBeth looks white. And the others that I think are white look white. If they aren't white but they look white, then it still looks like a bunch of white people. That's the point. It doesn't matter what any of them really are.

If you'd like to point out the "fair measure" (your words) of non-white LOOKING that I missed --- go for it.

McBeth looks white. And the others that I think are white look white. If they aren't white but they look white, then it still looks like a bunch of white people. That's the point. It doesn't matter what any of them really are.

If you'd like to point out the "fair measure" (your words) of non-white LOOKING that I missed --- go for it.

What does the exact color of their skin have to do with anything? Holy cow, he looks white? That's it, I'm sending a note to the PDGA, you're not really trying to include women, some of them aren't very feminine. If your point is that the PDGA needs to get someone who, by your measure, looks hispanic (whatever that means), well, you're right, it's a fail. Shame on them. If you're supposing that the PDGA is trying to have their cake and eat it too, "alright listen guys, I've got these 'hispanic' actors, but smart me, they look white... wow!"

BTW - I look as white bread as they come and I've never checked that American Indian box, ever; my mother on the other hand, is an American Indian, looks the part, owns land in Oklahoma and everything, me thinks you're cutting it a bit thin.

I'm sticking with my position, I think the PDGA did a relatively good job on the diversity thing. Of course, there weren't any American Indians there... hey!

On the other hand, as stated, I think it's a damned good ad. I love seeing it, and think, as pointed out, it would play well to non-disc golf playing audiences.

What does the exact color of their skin have to do with anything? Holy cow, he looks white? That's it, I'm sending a note to the PDGA, you're not really trying to include women, some of them aren't very feminine. If your point is that the PDGA needs to get someone who, by your measure, looks hispanic (whatever that means), well, you're right, it's a fail. Shame on them. If you're supposing that the PDGA is trying to have their cake and eat it too, "alright listen guys, I've got these 'hispanic' actors, but smart me, they look white... wow!"

BTW - I look as white bread as they come and I've never checked that American Indian box, ever; my mother on the other hand, is an American Indian, looks the part, owns land in Oklahoma and everything, me thinks you're cutting it a bit thin.

I'm sticking with my position, I think the PDGA did a relatively good job on the diversity thing. Of course, there weren't any American Indians there... hey!

On the other hand, as stated, I think it's a damned good ad. I love seeing it, and think, as pointed out, it would play well to non-disc golf playing audiences.

You lost me. It looks like a whole bunch of white people in that commercial --- other than the opening girl. The commercial doesn't do very well in showing diversity in disc golf. That is all.

McBeth looking more and more paisa every day. He can't hide those mexi-roots. And there are probably an equal amount of minorites and whites in that 60 second commercial. We taking over, brah.

McBeth looking more and more paisa every day. He can't hide those mexi-roots. And there are probably an equal amount of minorites and whites in that 60 second commercial. We taking over, brah.

I thought the whites WERE the minority, man! hahahahahahahahaha

Latest posts