• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc Golf does not need "golf"

Ask yourself, is this what we want disc golf to become?

july17_fowler_299x444.jpg

Lol, WOW :popcorn:

I used to play ball golf all the time... till I found DISC golf. I took the quads off my ball golf bag and sold the clubs, bought more plastic and never looked back. I can make birdies, play more rounds for less $$$/or no $$$ and have more good friends.

ha this!!! i did the same thing with my ball golf bag, except i threw my clubs in the back of the garage, ill never wear a polo to play sports again !!!!!

i'm not sure if people are born dumb or if i should start a movement to tear down the public education system and rebuild it based on the ideals of Plato's Republic.

do you think the table tennis(ping pong, dont call it ping pong!) threads have the same problem with tennis? play disc golf/frolf/frizbee golf and have fun. we didnt event the wheel, just added the tires.

Yeah, if you don't count the part where NEARLY THE WHOLE GAME IS MODELED AFTER BALL GOLF.

But no, you're right. Let's talk smack about stuff that our beloved sport came from.

Pfft. Name one thing that we share with golf. :|

(Pssst, that was sarcasm)

if you didn't whisper that last part somebody would of been on you like paris hilton on a pile of coke

The thing holding dg back IMO is the connection with ball golf.
Apples and oranges. Opposite ends of the spectrum. Why persist with the charade ????

While I have no opinion of he actual topic of this thread, and am drifting quite a bit here, I hate that idiom "comparing apples and oranges."

They are both fruit.
Both sweet.
Both have skins.
Both grow on trees.
Both have seeds.
Both are round.

...I could go on.

They are practically incestuous siblings; they're that close.

It's not like disc golf has tees or putting or strokes or par out of bounds or drivers or handicaps or 18 holes or any other stupid similarities to ball golf. Wait what...

Wait.....what are all these terms you speak of? I am a disc golfer and, since there is no correlation between disc and ball golf, I don't know what these words are. Sounds like a bunch of clicks and whistles if you ask me!

While I have no opinion of he actual topic of this thread, and am drifting quite a bit here, I hate that idiom "comparing apples and oranges."

They are both fruit.
Both sweet.
Both have skins.
Both grow on trees.
Both have seeds.
Both are round.

...I could go on.

They are practically incestuous siblings; they're that close.

Not of topic at all really (although it may have been unintentional), you could say then almost the same thing about ball golf vs disc golf. Well, except for the sweet, trees and seeds part.

Why is Pluto not a planet anymore? That's what I want to know. I call BS! Down with the system, and down with all the corrupt scientists!!!

Yeah, if you don't count the part where NEARLY THE WHOLE GAME IS MODELED AFTER BALL GOLF.

But no, you're right. Let's talk smack about stuff that our beloved sport came from.

So the whole game is modeled after ball golf. So what? Mabye if you had been playing longer, or were a student of the sport you would know that's all we have in common. But ball golf dismisses us as a joke, as a whole, and looks down on us as something to be dismissed. Why would you want to be associated with them? We share nothing with ball golf, other than the basics of play.

Ask yourself, is this what we want disc golf to become?

july17_fowler_299x444.jpg

I would hate to get paid to wear clothes (something I have to do anyway) and make $293,105 for finishing in a tie for fifth place for one tournament. That guy just made more than 6 times what our top player will earn this year for getting 5th in one tournament. I would hate for our sport to get to that.

Also, to those of you who are saying there is not a comparison between the two sports, are you ****ing kidding me?

Yes, the sports are simular in the way there played, no bodies arguing that. Thats not the point!

There are courses in Scotland that have been played continuously for over 500 years. Imo those of us who love Dg owe a lot to those original golfers and greenskeepers who played with wooden sticks and leather balls stuffed with feathers. Those players had to make their own clubs and balls.

First generation disc golfers have it pretty soft in comparison. I have a lot of respect for the game of golf and its' history.

Thats great, everyone knows about the history of ball golf and how popular it is. The point of this thread is that disc golf does not need ball golf to survive and grow. Let us go our own way, and they go thiers!

Here, here. The Junior member from NC seconds the motion. We go our separate ways while admitting we share similar rules and origins.

Latest posts