• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc Golf Exercises

cajuninms

I am wondering what physical exercises I could do at the gym that would help benefit me on the disc golf course. I am new to the gym scene so don't know a whole lot. Any information would be very helpful. Thanks!

Cory D.

Core strength and flexibility exercises would be best, and benefit your long term health.

If your gym has a yoga and/or pilates (core strength) classes, try them out.

Ya I currently do Yoga fairly often on my own. I just enjoy it. I just feel really weak throwing my drives. I wasn't sure if there were strength exercises that I could do that would further advance my game.

The only real muscle strength that will help you is grip strength.

If you feel weak on your drives, maybe do some leg/hip/back exercises. 80% of your power on your throws should be from those areas - the other 20% coming from grip strength. (percentages are arbitrary, but still paint the picture that I'm going for)

best lifting exercises you can do for those areas:
Squats
Straight Leg Dead Lift
Clean and Press
seated or bent rows

pick up one of those tension workout dohickys (i think bowflex makes the one im thinking of) that attach to a door. the tension workout will strengthen your stabilizer/fast twitch muscles and your core.

use a dynaflex for grip strength.:thmbup:

when your doing your exercises to increase your throwing speed, do not do anything slow, be explosive with your lifts, do less reps.

There's a "Working out Efficiently" (or something like that) thread not too long ago that I'd check out.

IMO, flexibility is more important than strength as long as you're a late teen to adult male strengthed person. Anything that raises your general fitness level, balence and ease of motion will help more than brute strength.

Latest posts