• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc Golf For Old Guys

I just turned 54, and what is getting me nowadays is the Texas heat! I started a round at 9AM the other day, and chose not to finish, because of the heat/humidity. I didn't start hydrating early enough I guess. That was the mantra of the 2012 Worlds, "hydrate". One of the assistant TDs would say, "Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate. Oh yeah, one more thing: Hydrate!"

I am looking forward to October when the high temperature is only in the 80s.

Last edited:
59 and I'm glad I'm not the only one that plays 36 holes and feels it the rest of the day.

On a side note. Could be a coyinkidink. Since I start disc golfing my ball golf game is on fire. Seriously.

i had a funny thing happen a few months back at a tourney
we were sitting on a teepad waiting for the hole to clear (kind of a big back up)
when the group from 2 tees behind us started walking up to us
one of the guys says "hey old man, hows it going"
i kinda look around the large group sitting there, then i realize ....... crap he's talking to ME!!!!!

I'm the oldest member of our local club, but there's a guy a year older than me that comes out to all our events. He's just not a joiner. I'm 59 and I basically play every day and have been for since.. um... 2004 at least. A day without a round of disc is like a day without sunshine. Disc golf is just part of my lifestyle and I credit it as a large part of keeping me healthy.

It's not that hard to keep up with most of the kids, but beating the better young guns is a challenge. A solid putting and short game can keep you in contention and a solid mental game can give you the edge. In my local scene we have about 40 tags out and I've mostly managed to stay in the top 10. Taking the # 6 tag into the monthly tomorrow.

The old saw: you don't stop playing because you got old - you got old 'cause you stopped playing

Such awesome stories, comments, etc. Very cool reading! ah man.....hydration is key at our age(s). One thing to keep in mind, if you're playing tomorrow, start hydrating today! And then during the game, lots of smaller sips compared to fewer larger gulps. I know lately my back 9 has been suffering a bit due to not enough hydration. I routinely simply FORGET to drink while on the course!

At 50, I feel great and I wonder how long I'll be able to play at this level? I'm thinking as long as I don't have any serious injuries, keep working out, stretching, etc, I see no reason I can't keep this going for another 10-20 years! :)

I recently turned 66 and started playing disc golf back in March or April of this year. My intention was to buy a 3-disc starter set and just use the game as an excuse to get some exercise. Just a nice way to take a "walk in the woods". Nothing more than that.

Well, now I have 12 discs in my bag and I play 2 to 4 times a week. I've gone from driving about 150 feet to 250+ when everything goes right. I work hard on my approach shots and am gradually increasing my putting distances.

I'm hooked.

So much for this just being a "walk in the woods!"

For all of us grey beards, I highly recommend getting a cart of some sort. Its made a noticeable difference for me reducing some of the fatigue.

I recently turned 66 and started playing disc golf back in March or April of this year. My intention was to buy a 3-disc starter set and just use the game as an excuse to get some exercise. Just a nice way to take a "walk in the woods". Nothing more than that.

Well, now I have 12 discs in my bag and I play 2 to 4 times a week. I've gone from driving about 150 feet to 250+ when everything goes right. I work hard on my approach shots and am gradually increasing my putting distances.

I'm hooked.

So much for this just being a "walk in the woods!"

Perfect! :) :clap:

I will be 54 in october. I just finished an 8 day trip where I played 16 courses and 590 holes.

Funny story today...

I joined up with a pair of people randomly this morning (I often like to do this) at Oshtemo TWP Park; one of them was probably a pro, an outstanding player. Both were very cool. At the end of the round, I mentioned my DGCR name and the pro guy said his, "(something-something) 91."

"Uh oh," I said. "That's the year you were born, isn't it?"

"Yep." Smiling.

I've got two groups I regularly play with. One is a group of a good bit younger, mostly single guys. The other is a bunch of fellow greybacks from high school. I joke the difference is the greybacks have drugs on them, but their drugs are Aleve and Ben-Gay. On a good note, we're all getting out and walking in the heat as well as practicing in our backyards. Something we wouldn't have done without DG.

I joined up with a guy the other day and nearly flipped out when he called me "sir" at the practice basket. It's as bad as when one of my students figures out his grandparents are only a couple years older than me.

For all of us grey beards, I highly recommend getting a cart of some sort. Its made a noticeable difference for me reducing some of the fatigue.

I just got the Grip A backpack style bag, and that made a big difference at the end of the day I feel much better than with my old style bag

I love playing because I can still beat these young guys I play golf with. When the time comes they start beating me....I'm going to find lesser skill players to play golf with. ;)

"" Originally Posted by Jay Dub View Post
I love playing because I can still beat these young guys I play golf with. When the time comes they start beating me....I'm going to find lesser skill players to play golf with. ""

I love it........you know what they say......"If all else fails.....lower your standards!!"

I'll be 60 in Feb. I play 1-3 rounds a week, but I love disc golf road trips. this past 4th of July weekend, I played 20 courses [17 new to me] in 4 days in 4 states 2 new to me]. I was by myself but also averaged 250 miles driving per day. I was feeling it more and more as the trip wore on, so much so I skipped a 4 disc course I had played before, but the day after the trip I felt fine. Such fun! found a new favorite course: I've played Selah's lakeside and creekside, but I liked Branson Treehouz best!

I'll be 60 in Feb. I play 1-3 rounds a week, but I love disc golf road trips. this past 4th of July weekend, I played 20 courses [17 new to me] in 4 days in 4 states 2 new to me]. I was by myself but also averaged 250 miles driving per day. I was feeling it more and more as the trip wore on, so much so I skipped a 4 disc course I had played before, but the day after the trip I felt fine. Such fun! found a new favorite course: I've played Selah's lakeside and creekside, but I liked Branson Treehouz best!

We should have an over 50 get together golf weekend

I'm 46. Can't throw far, I don't have the arm speed and/or flexibility of you young whipper snappers. But I have fun dammit!!!

Great to see the 50- (and 60!) somethings in this thread still going strong. Keep it up, guys!