• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc golf for Snobs

Keeping families together (anyone can play Dg at any age without much expense), More activity in any park keeps the park active and less inviting to any unsavory types, thus keeping the park and the area clean and safe, less expensive than Ball Golf which makes it more accesible to the entire community.

More activity in any park keeps the park active and less inviting to any unsavory types, thus keeping the park and the area clean and safe, less expensive than Ball Golf which makes it more accesible to the entire community.

These are very true and very good selling points for a ton of situations. For this safe, clean and quiet neighborhood and the affluent demographic of the town, however, I can not use these as strong selling points. I am grappling with how much (or little) to use these.

I have found the Director of Operations and Landscape Architect to be pretty down-to-earth and eager to give good advice and insight into how things work and the BoD priorities. I am planning to bounce all the ideas in this thread (and more) off them before crafting the presentation.

sorry if I thread jack but on the demographics on pdga website the membership jumped 37.1% from 2007 to 2008. Anyone else find that awesome? 37.1% is huge if you think about it.

I know the neighborhood (try selling them by putting Ferrari crests on each basket :) )...
this brings up a VERY interesting point.... DG in higher-end communities... (where they can afford ball golf)

I'd focus on the physical aspects of DG, hell it is a workout.... when I had a regular Dr. I told him about it and he sounded intrigued... not to mention, families of ALL ages can play...

as for pay to play..... well, I'm not for it, BUT when it's a great facility,.... I'll happily pay... (cough Valpo, Lemon lake) if it's a true par 4/5 course in IL, it'll sell itself...

Dave, if you say it's a good piece of land, I believe you.... just let me know if you need some help...

*edit, also, talk to the park about how DG doesn't molest the land like ball golf, generally, dg'rs will accept a fairway of mowed wildgrass/weeds vs. the cost and maintanence of seeding (for sake of argument) a bentgrass fairway.... much less worry about fertalizer/chemical runoff concerns...
also, local dg'rs may be willing to provide FREE LABOR for putting in baskets, etc...

Last edited:
Something to keep in mind is that people who are local board of directors generally like power and being treated like they wield a disproportionate amount of it. When you speak to these people be overly respectful and agreeable and you may be surprised at what you get. This is not to say appealing to their financial senses is not very important as well.

Sell it like an activity circuit trail. Emphasize the relative minor disturbance to natural landscape (meaning talk about cutting of trees and under story as little as possible - save that reality for when you are dealing 1 on 1 w/the park guys), and the minimal maintenance aspects of the "facility". Memberships, pay to play, any sort of revenue possibilities are always good to offer in a presentation, try and make it something they come back and ask YOU about.

Latest posts