• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc Golf in the News

Probably don't matter but I still say if I pick you out of a crowd and shoot you it isn't attempted murder?
Going to go lookup Ky. Murder laws.:)
That would definitely be attempted murder. If the person dies then it's murder.

21 year old Osman Igal found with gun and charges are first degree assault and armed criminal action. Betting he pleads for concurrent sentences and possibility to be out in 5 years.

That would definitely be attempted murder. If the person dies then it's murder.

Yeah, just looked up what Michael Carneal was charged with in the Heath school shooting many years ago.(just down the road here in west Ky.)
Murder and attempted murder and he was shooting into a crowd.
To me saying random cheapens the severity of the act.

Look up whatever you want. Regardless how the victim is selected, murder/attempted murder is still murder/attempted murder.

I really have no clue what point you're trying to make.

To me saying random cheapens the severity of the act.

To me, random simply refers to how a victim was selected. I don't associate it with the severity of the act. I think the severity of the crime should speak for itself.

Last edited:
Has the story of exactly what happened actually been told?

Personally I like to wait until all the details/stories are out before formulating an opinion. I'm not saying it wasn't a terrible undeserved thing that happened. I guess I just wonder what the world would be like without social media speculation and opinion…..

Sigh…..

Someone who was present for it told me this version. I have to qualify this: I wasn't there. I was at WW, and was told this the next day by someone on Jake's card at Kessler. But my memory may be omitting details, so keep in mind this some of this might be lost in translation.

The guy in question looked skezzed out a bit, but was lucid enough to come up to their card and ask what they were doing. They explained they were playing an event, that they were throwing discs, that it was tournament, that kind of thing. They thought that was the end of it, but were still keeping a bit of an eye on him as they walked away.

As they were walking, the player who relayed this to me heard Jake say something like, "Bro, why do you have a gun?" He turned to see the guy had followed them and was holding a handgun. They all started running, and Jake was the one that got hit. The player ran to find cover, called 911, and after a minute was told it had already been called in and the PD and EMTs were on their way. He stayed in cover until he felt it was safe to come out.

Beyond that, I don't know much more. I hope I'm relaying this accurately enough.

Probably don't matter but I still say if I pick you out of a crowd and shoot you it isn't attempted murder?
Going to go lookup Ky. Murder laws.:)

Again, you're answering the wrong question. The question is not, what would (should) the shooter the shooting be classified under KY law (being that it took place in KANSAS), nor is it, what would (should) the shooter be charged with under KS law; in fact, the question has nothing to do with the shooter's intent, per se; the question is, of all the people in the park that the shooter could have shot, is/was there a prior relationship between the shooter and the victim that caused the shooter to target the victim rather than any of the other people in the park at the time? "Attempted murder" is a description of intent; "random" is a description of motive for attempting to murder a specific individual.

Dismemberment is always a possibility when unsafe course design crosses paths with high speed divers.

FWIW, I'd be leery of going disc diving in any murky body of water in the SE US. Gators are way harder to see than you might think.

Last edited:
Terrible. Looks like hole 16. You'd think people would learn their lesson as this isn't the first time Taylor Park has been in the news about gator attacks. Not to mention all the signs. Also, on the long drive into the park, you're sure to see at least a couple monstrous gators wading around. I wonder if they'll get rid of this hole as it really tests the righty backhand and the basket is also 20 ft away from the shore.

Water doesn't come into play on 16 at Taylor. If i were to guess, i'd say hole 11, as i had seen more go in on that hole than any other. 15 also claims a bunch. Water also comes into play on 9 and 13. I hope it doesnt get shut down. It was my favorite course in the area. The Sandslugs (club name) take a lot of pride in their course.

Last edited:
As a general rule of thumb, I won't go into any water more than a foot or two out here at any course in Florida. Sad to hear about what happened at Taylor.

Seems he was diving for discs commercially.
According to the talk among other patrons the description fits a dude named Roc-star.
He probably knew the risks and has done this before.
Condolences to his family and friends.

Water doesn't come into play on 16 at Taylor. If i were to guess, i'd say hole 11, as i had seen more go in on that hole than any other. 15 also claims a bunch. Water also comes into play on 9 and 13. I hope it doesnt get shut down. It was my favorite course in the area. The Sandslugs (club name) take a lot of pride in their course.

Ahh, maybe it was 11 I was thinking of. I did a few Gulf Coast Charity tourneys the past few years and Taylor was always one of the courses. My group accidentally skipped this hole in our first practice round as we saw 12s tee right after 10s basket.
Most of the drive is over water with the basket under the tree by the water right? I saw many shots never make it in bounds and land in that lake area with all the plants/reeds/etc. Very easy to not see a gator sitting in there. I don't recall any other holes that really tested the lake. Maybe worst case scenario they get rid of that hole. Hate to see an action like that taken but it could be for the best.

Last edited:
I personally hope no holes are removed. hole 11 approach, pictured below, is my favorite hole at Taylor Park. It was quite the adrenaline rush throwing the line knowing that a miss was a gift to the gator gods.
f068e74d.jpg

As a general rule of thumb, I won't go into any water more than a foot or two out here at any course in Florida. Sad to hear about what happened at Taylor.

You probably saw this news story last week: a Mom and son last control of their car on the Florida turnpike and ended up in a pond along the highway, a pond with quite a few gators. So, before the divers would go in to pull the two from their vehicle, they called in police snipers to keep the gators away! Sounds like they have "wildlife snipers".

You probably saw this news story last week: a Mom and son last control of their car on the Florida turnpike and ended up in a pond along the highway, a pond with quite a few gators. So, before the divers would go in to pull the two from their vehicle, they called in police snipers to keep the gators away! Sounds like they have "wildlife snipers".

You mean like this guy??