• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc Golf Prodigy

JR said:
AJ has been sponsored by Keen for a couple of years already and so have some other top pros.
It's significant that, while the Team has existed for 3+ years, they are just in the last few weeks starting a social media presence. (btw I'm wearing Keen shoes direct from a Team guy's sponsorship... well aware of the existing Team :mrgreen: )

I looked into Merrell too, because if it IS Merrell then I'd expect some counter-fortification by Keen, and I could be mistaking that shoring up against Merrell as signs pointing to Keen.

Case for/against Merrell:
Wolfe has endorsed Merrell in the past, and Merrell/Vibram already work together. Merrell's relatively lower exposure in sponsorship could be the catalyst for starting a new DG wing. However they haven't been telegraphing it over the last few years like Keen. I don't get the impression that Vibram production is such that they'd take on a sub-brand right now, and even in a DGA/DC relationship this big Merrell team would be in competition with Vibram's recruiting and retention. The Keen social pages are fishy and a half. I'm not discounting any Prodigy theories, but I'm not seeing any legs on Prodigy besides discspeed's hint -- and our Wolfe connection is very circumstantial (I mean, stumble across any of the dozen+ DG domains I own?). Keen looks all kinds of suspicious though. If these marketing pros are way on top of their shit, then Keen is less concerned with secrecy and Merrell/Prodigy has achieved killer secrecy.

Also I did a bunch of searching on the Prodigy spelling "ProDG". Interestingly, there is a DGCR user prodg with no posts or activity, registered 6/23/12. That's about the extent of any findings on prodg. And whatever Deity Discs might be, they registered a domain around the middle of the year. Apparently that's NOT a Dynamic-related thing, as I half expected the DD line of plastic to be named some different D's.

While shoes may be involved, this new venture is not about shoes.

Prodigy is a real venture, and I bet you will know before Christmas.

Leopard said:
JR said:
AJ has been sponsored by Keen for a couple of years already and so have some other top pros.
It's significant that, while the Team has existed for 3+ years, they are just in the last few weeks starting a social media presence. (btw I'm wearing Keen shoes direct from a Team guy's sponsorship... well aware of the existing Team :mrgreen: )

I looked into Merrell too, because if it IS Merrell then I'd expect some counter-fortification by Keen, and I could be mistaking that shoring up against Merrell as signs pointing to Keen.

Case for/against Merrell:
Wolfe has endorsed Merrell in the past, and Merrell/Vibram already work together. Merrell's relatively lower exposure in sponsorship could be the catalyst for starting a new DG wing. However they haven't been telegraphing it over the last few years like Keen. I don't get the impression that Vibram production is such that they'd take on a sub-brand right now, and even in a DGA/DC relationship this big Merrell team would be in competition with Vibram's recruiting and retention. The Keen social pages are fishy and a half. I'm not discounting any Prodigy theories, but I'm not seeing any legs on Prodigy besides discspeed's hint -- and our Wolfe connection is very circumstantial (I mean, stumble across any of the dozen+ DG domains I own?). Keen looks all kinds of suspicious though. If these marketing pros are way on top of their shit, then Keen is less concerned with secrecy and Merrell/Prodigy has achieved killer secrecy.

Also I did a bunch of searching on the Prodigy spelling "ProDG". Interestingly, there is a DGCR user prodg with no posts or activity, registered 6/23/12. That's about the extent of any findings on prodg. And whatever Deity Discs might be, they registered a domain around the middle of the year. Apparently that's NOT a Dynamic-related thing, as I half expected the DD line of plastic to be named some different D's.

allsport1313 said:
StarCrockpot said:
Leopard said:
This coy hints bullshit is extremely feminine.
THIS.

Requesting like and/or +1 function.

This is how rumors are started and facts perverted: Based on no facts at all how about the user name jobWILSON "Wilson" hint hint coming over to DG? I don't know now but at least some point in time Wilson was part of the Amer group that have their headquarters less than two miles from me and they make athletic gear. Dunno if Wilson is still part of the Amer group but DG is big and in the media here without negative connotations so DG is more marketable here than in the US from business point of view. With fewer risks. Then it might make more sense to market to the European side of things first from a Finnish group possibly still owning Wilson. But isn't Wilson an American company? Too lazy to dig up facts. That would interfere with rumor mongering. End of BS instruction/rumor creation 101.

jr is a facts pervert.

fact: any logo that can be made in notepad or MS word by a 2nd grader is awesome.

I've asked around, and no word on Prodigy. Sorry discspeed, I'll keep digging.

If the new company proved to be keen I would imagine getting their discs into the outdoor retailers like rei and cabelas would be a cinch. The rei in st louis carries a handful of over priced crap Innova plastic. Seems like customers of those retailers would buy a disc or two and give the sport a shot based on the keen name...kinda surprised vibram hasn't went that route.

My friend got a disc from Dave Feldberg that says Team Keen Disc Golf, bout a month ago. It has Feldberg, Climo, AJ, Val, and a few others names stamped in a circle, I can't seem to remember the others. Is this of any significance?

allsport1313 said:
My friend got a disc from Dave Feldberg that says Team Keen Disc Golf, bout a month ago. It has Feldberg, Climo, AJ, Val, and a few others names stamped in a circle, I can't seem to remember the others. Is this of any significance?
They've sponsored them for the footwear for a year or more, so I don't think so.

http://www.averyjenkins.net

allsport1313 said:
It does say Team Keen Disc Golf though which is what that new Facebook page is called. I don't know. Lol
It could be something. Who knows? It's almost the weekend, so this news will either be big or not big. We'll see.

If there is anything to announce, I would think they would have done it by now to impact Christmas sales. Otherwise, I would think you might wait until after the holiday season so any announcement wouldn't get lost during the holiday festivities.

Chuck Kennedy said:
If there is anything to announce, I would think they would have done it by now to impact Christmas sales. Otherwise, I would think you might wait until after the holiday season so any announcement wouldn't get lost during the holiday festivities.

I was kind of thinking this exact thing about the DD disc release. 11 days before Christmas is cutting it pretty tight for orders to arrive in the mail, not to mention a lot of people already have their shopping done by this point.

I came for the rumors, but stayed for Zams necro'd avatar.

jobwilson, you have a pretty decent trollportunity here; don't blow it.

Dig It said:
I came for the rumors, but stayed for Zams necro'd avatar.
fuckin' fuck yeah!

Holiday sales... my god. DD has like 5 days MAX to get their plastic under the tree. If anything they just wanted to get out before the shadow overshadows everything.