• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc Golf - The Unwashed Masses

The ONLY way you're going to make disc golf really grow is to add beer. Lots and lots of beer. The Waste Management Open may as well be called the Get Wasted Open.

Can they lob cans at the basket while the player putts? I'm for that!

When I first started playing I followed Mike Moser's card for a while. Tony Ellis was kind enough to let me know not to get into Moser's line of site during any throws. I was OK with that.

When I play I'm not easily distracted. However, I play with people who are so I try to respect their personal space, so to speak.

A week or so ago there was a discussion about whether or not social pressure makes golfers better able to obey the rules than disc golfers.

What does this have to do with the behavior of fans?

In any event, having played golf, I have seen plenty of golfers cheat, primarily by improving their lie. Most of what I see from disc golfers seems to be due to their apparent lack of knowledge of the rules, though I have certainly seen deliberate and even open cheating.

What does this have to do with the behavior of fans?

In any event, having played golf, I have seen plenty of golfers cheat, primarily by improving their lie. Most of what I see from disc golfers seems to be due to their apparent lack of knowledge of the rules, though I have certainly seen deliberate and even open cheating.

Nothing. Was it supposed to?

I've never seen deliberate cheating during a round with the exception of rules prohibiting the partaking of legal and illegal personality altering substances and courtesy violations. I've seen some guys nip into the woods during rounds, but never anything where I could see it. And I've heard some language that is prohibited. But never directed at another player, always interenally or at one's disc/equipment.

Although I wasn't drunken, I am guilty of deliberately heckling Gary McCord at a PGA - I even followed him for a couple of holes that way...funny thing is now, many years later, I can't recall why I was heckling...I guess it doesn't really matter...

I've never seen deliberate cheating during a round with the exception of rules prohibiting the partaking of legal and illegal personality altering substances and courtesy violations. I've seen some guys nip into the woods during rounds, but never anything where I could see it. And I've heard some language that is prohibited. But never directed at another player, always interenally or at one's disc/equipment.

In disc golf tournaments I have seen:

An entire group playing from OB.
A doubles team lying about their score on a hole (claiming one throw less than taken).
Relief taken where none was available under the rules.

I have heard, second hand, of:

Players attempting to prohibit the use, by another player, of a disc that was thrown OB.
Movement of obstacles before a throw.
Players claiming to have hit the chains (ace race) under circumstances where the player could not have seen what he claimed to see.

I've never seen cheating in a golf tournament, but I have played in only a relative few. I have seen loads of intentional rules violations in golf in casual rounds (it wasn't competition so I hesitate to call it cheating).

I don't think one sport has an advantage over the other in this respect.

In Pro ball golf tournaments, hecklers can and have been removed, considering that they are on private property.

We can't usually do that in disc golf.

If you consider the 'cultural ethos' that gave rise to disc golf and compare it with that of ball golf, it's a small wonder that disc golf isn't more 'rowdy' than it is, etiquette-wise.

Etiquette is predicated on consideration for the other person (we understand what 'hurts' us, so we choose not to engage in doing that to others), and in the case of 'honor', one would be willing to 'bet' his entire land and holdings upon faithfully upholding said honor.

We are obviously not an honor based culture anymore - even in the abstract, 'character-based' sort of way. Many people just don't care or seem to understand that the discipline required to play by the rules and be a 'good sport' are what make the experience valuable - as corny as that sounds...

If you consider the 'cultural ethos' that gave rise to disc golf and compare it with that of ball golf, it's a small wonder that disc golf isn't more 'rowdy' than it is, etiquette-wise.

Etiquette is predicated on consideration for the other person (we understand what 'hurts' us, so we choose not to engage in doing that to others)....

Hippies were empathetic.

On one side I think that this golfer needs to grow some thicker skin. Have you seen the heckling that goes on at a pro football or even a pro baseball game? On the other side, if I guy yells at a pro golfer "hey I boinked your wife last night" he should be booted off the course and asked not to return.

We don't need any outside hecklers in disc golf. My regular group is pretty good at heckling each other.

Not sure this is a good comparison. Golf is geared towards more of a gentleman's sport whereas the others not so much

I for one am offended by the title of this thread. I play disc golf, and I washed just last week. :|

Etiquette is predicated on consideration for the other person (we understand what 'hurts' us, so we choose not to engage in doing that to others), and in the case of 'honor', one would be willing to 'bet' his entire land and holdings upon faithfully upholding said honor.

We are obviously not an honor based culture anymore - even in the abstract, 'character-based' sort of way. Many people just don't care or seem to understand that the discipline required to play by the rules and be a 'good sport' are what make the experience valuable - as corny as that sounds...

While my tendency is to say, yes, I don't actually think it's that simple. What do you think about this notion. In the 1950s say, the number of people who were driven by etiquette was 80% of the population. Today, it's more like 60% of the population. That is, there are plenty of people who are still driven by manners, it's just there has been a noticeable shift.

As an aside, I refereed soccer for years. This really plays out there. What I saw was parents setting a very bad example for their children. They were more intent on winning than in playing by the rules or showing respect. It's the win at all costs mantra. I've alluded to this before, but I also saw a difference in refereeing in richer neighborhoods vs poorer neighborhoods. Frankly, the poorer kids treated those around them with much more respect, on average. I don't have a good reason for that, except that people with means tend to protect themselves and their kids from consequences, using the resources that they have.

I have also written this before, in the bracket where I play, the guys are very good about playing within the rules. I see a number of reasons for that. One, written about often, is that we have a couple of guys who know the rules and play by them. They are pretty insistent. One who comes here is Fred Needham. Fred knows the rules. He isn't mean about it, just firm. If it isn't clear, he wants it to be clear. Our sport needs more guys like Fred. A second reason is that we all know each other. It's a small group. Cheating someone you know has never been popular. We are part of a group that likes each other. Why would I cheat someone I admire?

My personal experience is that rules adherence in disc golf is much better than ball golf, at least on the casual and lower level organized play level.

Most of the rule bending is disc golf usually seems to be from lack of specific rules knowledge, and most people correct it once they know the rules. Contrast that to my experience in ball golf, where it was generally just outright cheating. The ball golf league I was in for years eventually specified that fluffing would be allowed. There were so many people doing it, and such an abject unwillingness for these people to change or enforce the rule on others, that it was decided it was too unfair to people who played legit to have to go up against fluffers.